White Rice

stressucks

Is it OK? If not, what is a better alternative?

If I eat a bunch before bed it seems to knock me out and I sleep well. But the next day I feel a bit more inflamed.

marcar72

White rice is just fine in Ray Peat's world. It's brown rice he's against. I guess most peeps would say to be sure you cook it real good first to break down the starch a bit. From what I understand white rice and potatoes are the only "safe" starches in a Peatish paradigm. :2cents

Ari

If you are in perfect health then starch is ok at best (but still a stressor), but then why would you be here?

A better alternative for carbs is orange juice.
A better alternative for a nighttime food is .. well that is mental/based on comfort I would say.

If it makes you feel more inflamed then I think you've answered your own question. Ignore your own body and you will be searching for health for a long time.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
It seems that a lot of us have problems with starches.

Jenn

Properly digested starch is glucose. Starch still in starch form when it hits the blood stream is a toxin. Sleeping well means you are converting at least some starch to glucose. Inflammation in the AM means you may not be converting all of it....OR you have run out of fuel and your body gets over loaded and inflamed without enough sugar. Saturated fat, like coconut oil protects the body from starches. Sometimes, for me, OJ doesn't last long enough and starches with good fat help me sleep through the night.

Dutchie

marcar72 said:
White rice is just fine in Ray Peat's world. It's brown rice he's against. I guess most peeps would say to be sure you cook it real good first to break down the starch a bit. From what I understand white rice and potatoes are the only "safe" starches in a Peatish paradigm. :2cents

Root veggies like parsnip,beets,turnips and also pumpkins are all ok.....or arent they considered as a s8gnificant source of starch?

pboy

its not about the starch, its about how much percent of the food is digestible and able to be assimilated, burnable...and how little foul residue is left...people need to just get to the point if they want benefit from it. You want something easy to eat that will become your essence while leaving as little residue as possible, and particularly gassy to foul smelling residue at that. Figure it out. I don't even know if Ray realizes the simplicity of it...his principles would hint at it, but hopefully at least some people can come to this simple realization...if not oh well, keep cooking up your garlic onions and whole grains, beans, eggs, crucifers, old meat and other foul smelling residue leaving foods...I just don't want to be around you for at least a day after you do (hint)

BaconBits

Obviously what you are experiencing is an allergic reaction. Dont eat it any more. Its not about the starch, its the protein in the rice thats somehow reacts inflamatory.

I have an extreme allergenic problem with rice, if a meal makes you tired an sleepy dont eat it. Dont try to eat more rice thinking you can get used to it.

drh1981

pboy said:
its not about the starch, its about how much percent of the food is digestible and able to be assimilated, burnable...and how little foul residue is left...people need to just get to the point if they want benefit from it. You want something easy to eat that will become your essence while leaving as little residue as possible, and particularly gassy to foul smelling residue at that. Figure it out. I don't even know if Ray realizes the simplicity of it...his principles would hint at it, but hopefully at least some people can come to this simple realization...if not oh well, keep cooking up your garlic onions and whole grains, beans, eggs, crucifers, old meat and other foul smelling residue leaving foods...I just don't want to be around you for at least a day after you do (hint)

pboy do you have any specific food recommendations along those lines? Intuitively it seems like meats, fruit juices, and probably milk would be low/no residue. Obviously beans and that other stuff is risky but eggs too? I'd think they would be readily absorbed if not overcooked. Anyway, personal experiences or suggestions? THANKS!

OP
S

stressucks

I think I exaggerated the effects it has on me, it's not that bad. If I haven't had rice in awhile the combination will knock me out and I sleep pretty well through the night. I'm not sure if I actually feel inflamed the next day or if it just takes me longer to wakeup because I was in deeper sleep.

If I have rice two nights in a row, the second night it seems to not have the "knock-out" effect and I sleep like usual. (Usually involves waking up a couple times).

dukez07

I find anything that is bad for my bowel, is generally bad for me (in a lot of ways). Starch, undoubtably, causes me terrible constipation. I have eaten sweet potatos raw before, but I don't any longer due to toxins that are apparantly present.

Anything that is bad for the bowel, is bad for you - full stop. I would restrict starch, for sure. Fruits, are definitely cool in this respect.