White LED Light And Its Possible Red Wavelength Spectrum Emission

Since white light has all the color (at least according to ELI5: Why is it that when you mix all colors of paint you get black, but when you mix all colors of light you get white? • r/explainlikeimfive), then it also must contain the red spectrum of light!? Am I right? If so, then do we really need Red Light Lamps or Red LED Light to be exposed to the beneficial red light we all know is pro-metabolic?

By the way, is there a 13,5W (or more) red LED light available in Brazil or in virtual market such as Amazon?

biggirlkisss

the leds that are full spectrum the best you can find are 2700k and they produce more blue but yes they have red and orange. The brighter ones like the 100-200 watts one at best at 2700k-3300k which is even more blue. They are 170 dollars too expensive but worth while in comprasion to the light bulbs of incandence.

x-ray peat

These images may help. From this image it looks like white LED lights barely gives off any red light as compared to incandescents. It looks like the cool ones also give off a lot of UV which isn't great for you. Ray recommends 200W incandescents because they don't give off that much UV and give off a lot of red light. I personally use that and a 660 nm red led light and a 850 nm IR light. They are all pretty cheap.

L

lollipop

These images may help. From this image it looks like white LED lights barely gives off any red light as compared to incandescents. It looks like the cool ones also give off a lot of UV which isn't great for you. Ray recommends 200W incandescents because they don't give off that much UV and give off a lot of red light. I personally use that and a 660 nm red led light and a 850 nm IR light. They are all pretty cheap.

Great image breakdown @x-ray peat. I have kept all of the lights in my place incandescent and have a small red led 660nm. Halogen seems like good way to go when incandescents are not available.

x-ray peat

Great image breakdown @x-ray peat. I have kept all of the lights in my place incandescent and have a small red led 660nm. Halogen seems like good way to go when incandescents are not available.
Thanks Lisa. You may be right. I can see incandescents being sold like illegal drugs in the near and ignorant future.

Last edited:

x-ray peat

i dunno if i agree with the warm white being so low in red. I have seen spec sheets from manufacturers for led 2700k where there is a lot of red not as much as incandescence but enough to be worth it. Light spectrum/spectrometer charts and raw data for common lights | Designing with LEDs
Still doesn't look like you are getting a lot of the therapeutic red wavelengths >620 nm and none of the therapeutic near IR wavelengths. Also the clinical trials where done with single wavelength red light or IR light. I am not sure what the effects of so much of the other wavelengths will do to that.

Last edited:

ddjd

the leds that are full spectrum the best you can find are 2700k and they produce more blue but yes they have red and orange. The brighter ones like the 100-200 watts one at best at 2700k-3300k which is even more blue. They are 170 dollars too expensive but worth while in comprasion to the light bulbs of incandence.
gavin what do you think of these bulbs

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/...-e27-600-lumen-globe-opal-white-art-00358725/

heres the specs. but it says theyre 2700 kelvin which is good?

General
BRAND NAME IKEA
MODEL IDENTIFIER LED1552G7
ENERGY EFFICIENCY CLASS A+
WEIGHTED ENERGY CONSUMPTION 7 kWh/1000h
NOMINAL LUMINOUS FLUX 600 lm
NOMINAL LIFE TIME 15000 h
NUMBER OF SWITCHING CYCLES 15000 cycles
COLOUR TEMPERATURE 2700 K
WARM-UP TIME TO 60% OF THE FULL LIGHT OUTPUT < 1 second
DIMMABLE No
LAMP DIMENSIONS 110x60
LAMP MERCURY CONTENT 0 mg
WEBSITE TO CONSULT IN CASE OF ACCIDENTAL LAMP BREAKAGE www.ikea.com
RATED WATTAGE 7 Watt
RATED LUMINOUS FLUX 600 lm
RATED LAMP LIFE TIME 15000 h
LAMP POWER FACTOR 0,5
LUMEN MAINTENACE FACTOR AT THE END OF THE NOMINAL LIFE 70%
STARTING TIME 0,3 seconds
COLOUR RENDERING 80
INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO CLEAN UP LAMP DEBRIS IN CASE OF ACCIDENTAL BREAKAGE www.ikea.com
RECOMMENDATIONS ON HOW TO DISPOSE OF THE LAMP AT ITS END OF LIFE www.ikea.com

L

lollipop

@Joeyd based on this chart, I would not want to use LED. I would use incandescent or halogen.

biggirlkisss

the lumens are not bright enough. You can get 100 watt or 200 watt chips that are 660nm or 620-625nm on ebay. The 660nm ones are better but more expensive. You would also need to buy a power supply that does 100 watts or 200 watts a 100 watt led power supply will output 6000-6500 lumens a little bit brighter then a 300 watt bulb which is bright. I have not tried the 100 watt red leds yet its on my do list so I don't know how affective they are. It's great on paper but i dunno for sure. For now I would stick with the 300 watt 130 volt bulbs you can buy phillip ones clear at home depot. It could cost you 170 bucks for two red led 100 watt ones but you will save on the power bulb and produce no blue light.

x-ray peat

the lumens are not bright enough. You can get 100 watt or 200 watt chips that are 660nm or 620-625nm on ebay. The 660nm ones are better but more expensive. You would also need to buy a power supply that does 100 watts or 200 watts a 100 watt led power supply will output 6000-6500 lumens a little bit brighter then a 300 watt bulb which is bright. I have not tried the 100 watt red leds yet its on my do list so I don't know how affective they are. It's great on paper but i dunno for sure. For now I would stick with the 300 watt 130 volt bulbs you can buy phillip ones clear at home depot. It could cost you 170 bucks for two red led 100 watt ones but you will save on the power bulb and produce no blue light.
Its not the lumens when it comes to red lights but rather the power density. For example any more than 5 minutes with my head under my 12 w 660 nm and I get the weirdest drugged out effect. I couldn't even imagine how powerful a 200 W red light would be.

I would recommend this one as it comes with a handy power density measurement chart
https://raypeatforum.com/community/...abi-12w-deep-red-660nm-led.19123/#post-257296

biggirlkisss

ive been using 20 watt red led and finding it helpful and you have to work with what they give you on ebay. They measure it by lumens thats how they sell it.

x-ray peat

ok just be careful with overdosing. until I figured out what my light was putting out I was using it for way too long. The typical research supported dosage is in the 6j/cm2 range so I am not sure how you go from lumens to that, especially for red light or IR.

Daniel11

Forum Supporter

This chart stops at around 750 nm for the incandescent bulb, its not accurately representing the lights complete spectrum, in reality incandescent bulbs emit only 10% in the visible wavelengths and 90% in the infrared wavelengths, if the chart was expanded we would see much greater degree of infrared wavelengths for incandescent bulbs, this is good for general room lighting but not good for therapeutic uses because it has to much of the infrared spectrum and also because it is not a focused enough light, it may have high wattage but its a round bulb dispersing light in all directions and generates a lot of heat.

The LED lights designed for therapeutic effects are very focused and you need to hold them very close to the body for best benefits. You would not want to hold a high wattage incandescent bulb close to your skin for very long.

The strong physiological effects of lights diminish very quickly with distance. The broad dispersion of the incandescence light bulbs make them not a good choice. The original and much of the research on photobiomodulation was done with lasers.

The high wattage incandescent bulbs will produce and transmit a lot of heat and thats what some may feel the most benefit from, but the light from incandescent bulbs will not have the same positive effect on mitochondrial functioning as the focused LED lights held close to the body and designed for therapeutic use.

Also having a LED light with multiple visible wavelengths will offer more benefits, as our cells absorb and use different wavelengths in very different ways.

Thats why i like this light, its has 610 nm ~ 630 nm ~ 670 nm visible wavelengths all in one light.

https://redlightman.com/product/red-light-device-mini/

This light is also safe for what i consider the most therapeutic way to use the light; through the open eyes, it offers similar benefits to sun gazing.

x-ray peat

This chart stops at around 750 nm for the incandescent bulb, its not accurately representing the lights complete spectrum, in reality incandescent bulbs emit only 10% in the visible wavelengths and 90% in the infrared wavelengths, if the chart was expanded we would see much greater degree of infrared wavelengths for incandescent bulbs, this is good for general room lighting but not good for therapeutic uses because it has to much of the infrared spectrum and also because it is not a focused enough light, it may have high wattage but its a round bulb dispersing light in all directions and generates a lot of heat.

The LED lights designed for therapeutic effects are very focused and you need to hold them very close to the body for best benefits. You would not want to hold a high wattage incandescent bulb close to your skin for very long.

The strong physiological effects of lights diminish very quickly with distance. The broad dispersion of the incandescence light bulbs make them not a good choice. The original and much of the research on photobiomodulation was done with lasers.

The high wattage incandescent bulbs will produce and transmit a lot of heat and thats what some may feel the most benefit from, but the light from incandescent bulbs will not have the same positive effect on mitochondrial functioning as the focused LED lights held close to the body and designed for therapeutic use.

Also having a LED light with multiple visible wavelengths will offer more benefits, as our cells absorb and use different wavelengths in very different ways.

Thats why i like this light, its has 610 nm ~ 630 nm ~ 670 nm visible wavelengths all in one light.

Red Light Device Mini - Red Light Man

This light is also safe for what i consider the most therapeutic way to use the light; through the open eyes, it offers similar benefits to sun gazing.
That chart was more to show what most white LEDs are missing and I agree that it doesn't tell the whole story with incandescents. This figure may be a bit more helpful.
k-heelspurs2.gif

I personally stopped using my 300 W incandescent because it was too hot to deal with in the summer. But with that said I think the reason Ray recommends incandescents is because they also give off a good amount of beneficial IR and Red that the Red LEDs don't give off. Lots of ways to approach light therapy.

biggirlkisss

it true that 670nm is best but I cant find chips that do that so 660nm is the way to go.

L

lollipop

That chart was more to show what most white LEDs are missing and I agree that it doesn't tell the whole story with incandescents. This figure may be a bit more helpful.
k-heelspurs2.gif

I personally stopped using my 300 W incandescent because it was too hot to deal with in the summer. But with that said I think the reason Ray recommends incandescents is because they also give off a good amount of beneficial IR and Red that the Red LEDs don't give off. Lots of ways to approach light therapy.
Another great graph image @x-ray peat. Totally clarifying. Thank you :):

Daniel11

Forum Supporter
k-heelspurs2.gif

Thats very helpful, thank you!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals