White itchy tongue, what causes it?

rayban

I have to go to the dentist and get rid of plaque accumulation on 3 lower teeths but anyway im not sure this is the cause.

How do I find out what the hell causes this? Do I have to randomly remove stuff from the diet? how do I replace such stuff? how do I go about this?

The only known pathology I have is thyroid antibodies not sure if related.

I have to go to the dentist and get rid of plaque accumulation on 3 lower teeths but anyway im not sure this is the cause.

How do I find out what the hell causes this? Do I have to randomly remove stuff from the diet? how do I replace such stuff? how do I go about this?

The only known pathology I have is thyroid antibodies not sure if related.
The itchy tongue sounds like a yeast candida overgrowth to me. I would also remove the grains from your diet for the plaque build up, at least the wheat and oats, both are so terrible for teeth! I remember those awful teeth cleaning appointments, with my sensitive teeth and heavy grain diet. I finally discovered if you take an Advil or Tylenol a half hour before the cleaning appointment it isn't so through the roof painful.

Last edited:
"Poor digestion does affect the membranes of the mouth, but a fungal infection of the mouth usually happens when the immune system is weak, from hormonal imbalance or poor nutrition, for example, or when there isn't enough saliva, or when the membranes are affected by a specific vitamin deficiency, such as vitamin A. Yeasts are attracted to estrogen and glucose, and when the thyroid hormone is deficient the antibodies that normally protect membranes tend to be deficient. It's important to know for sure exactly what the problem is, since leukoplakia is sometimes mistaken for thrush. A rinse with a little powdered sulfur usually eliminates yeast, vitamin A, along with other adequate nutrition, can often correct leukoplakia." -Ray Peat

"I use baking soda, and I rinse my mouth after having sugar, orange juice, etc. The quality of the saliva, regulated mainly by the thyroid hormone, is the main factor in dental health. My newsletter on osteoporosis mentioned some of the studies on thyroid, estrogen, and tooth decay." -Ray Peat

OP
R

rayban

"Poor digestion does affect the membranes of the mouth, but a fungal infection of the mouth usually happens when the immune system is weak, from hormonal imbalance or poor nutrition, for example, or when there isn't enough saliva, or when the membranes are affected by a specific vitamin deficiency, such as vitamin A. Yeasts are attracted to estrogen and glucose, and when the thyroid hormone is deficient the antibodies that normally protect membranes tend to be deficient. It's important to know for sure exactly what the problem is, since leukoplakia is sometimes mistaken for thrush. A rinse with a little powdered sulfur usually eliminates yeast, vitamin A, along with other adequate nutrition, can often correct leukoplakia." -Ray Peat

Whenever someone says "remove X from diet" I don't know what exactly I have to remove and replace with. My mom cooks everything anyway so I would need to tell her any changes.

How do I check for vitamin A levels? bloodwork?

I don't go to doctors so I would now know about that. Maybe try "oil pulling" using coconut oil, which good at killing bacteria, fungus and viruses. Swish a spoonful in your mouth everyday for 10 minutes and spit, DO NOT SWALLOW!. At first you may feel it grow in mass quickly, so spit out the oil that has pulled out toxins and start over until 10 minutes is up. I am confident you will see a big improvement :)

OP
R

rayban

I don't go to doctors so I would now know about that. Maybe try "oil pulling" using coconut oil, which good at killing bacteria, fungus and viruses. Swish a spoonful in your mouth everyday for 10 minutes and spit, DO NOT SWALLOW!. At first you may feel it grow in mass quickly, so spit out the oil that has pulled out toxins and start over until 10 minutes is up. I am confident you will see a big improvement :)
Well you can't remove plaque buildup without going to the dentist. Im not buying those dodgy amazon ultrasonic devices btw.
I may try Chlorhexidine for a couple of weeks and see if the white tongue goes. I think I have got these ulcers/itchy sensation in the past. It's probably an unresolved allergy, and as you age I may not tolerate for instance milk as well as back then. Who knows. I wish I had the knowledge to find exactly what triggers it or find an expert. I'll see what the dentist suggest and see if he knows some expert. I have to go anyway to get the teeth properly cleaned and I may also do invisalign because it's a bit crooked.

But yeah I don't really know how to go about things. It's just not realistic to do it by myself. I need to find someone that knows and can investigate. This is a full time job. Just trying to find a cause for the thyroid antibodies and why they are triggered, when not even doctors investigate what im supposed to do.

Well you can't remove plaque buildup without going to the dentist. Im not buying those dodgy amazon ultrasonic devices btw.
I may try Chlorhexidine for a couple of weeks and see if the white tongue goes. I think I have got these ulcers/itchy sensation in the past. It's probably an unresolved allergy, and as you age I may not tolerate for instance milk as well as back then. Who knows. I wish I had the knowledge to find exactly what triggers it or find an expert. I'll see what the dentist suggest and see if he knows some expert. I have to go anyway to get the teeth properly cleaned and I may also do invisalign because it's a bit crooked.

But yeah I don't really know how to go about things. It's just not realistic to do it by myself. I need to find someone that knows and can investigate. This is a full time job. Just trying to find a cause for the thyroid antibodies and why they are triggered, when not even doctors investigate what im supposed to do.

A 20 minute oil pulling with coconut oil and a brushing in those plaque areas does wonders for plaque build up. I sometimes get a white coated tongue at the end of the day when I am heavy on dairy, but the carrot salad resolves it the next day. It does seem to be a gut thing. I have been amazed how good the carrot salad works for that. I use lemon instead of the vinegar for the tongue purpose. I am not sure if the vinegar will work as well. I did the Invisalign and it didn't work so well for me, so I ended up getting braces halfway through. I was a study vase, being one of the first to get them so maybe they are better now. Invisalign is a pain in the butt to wear during the day because you cant eat or drink anything with them on, and water stuck in them and shows little bubbles. It is also a hassle to always have to clean them between meals and sips of anything.

OP
R

rayban

A 20 minute oil pulling with coconut oil and a brushing in those plaque areas does wonders for plaque build up. I sometimes get a white coated tongue at the end of the day when I am heavy on dairy, but the carrot salad resolves it the next day. It does seem to be a gut thing. I have been amazed how good the carrot salad works for that. I use lemon instead of the vinegar for the tongue purpose. I am not sure if the vinegar will work as well. I did the Invisalign and it didn't work so well for me, so I ended up getting braces halfway through. I was a study vase, being one of the first to get them so maybe they are better now. Invisalign is a pain in the butt to wear during the day because you cant eat or drink anything with them on, and water stuck in them and shows little bubbles. It is also a hassle to always have to clean them between meals and sips of anything.
I will see if invalisng improved if not then I may get braces. But are they safe? because thechnically you would have some metal on your mouth 24/7. Doesnt this cause a heavy metal buildup or something?

What type of coconut oil exactly are you using? link to shop? if i search coconut oil there are a ton of types or products and im not sure.

I may remove milk for some days and see what happens since the itching started again after I drank the bowl of milk this afternoon. It sucks because I really like milk with cookies daily. The cookies have EVOO (not palm oil) and aren't industrial famous ones. I think they should be decent quality ones.

What about citrics? I drink orange juice at morning every day and at night I either eat yogurt or kiwi. On weekend a hagen datz belgium chocolate icecream. This is for after dinner. I ask because i've read some dude said that this happens to him sometimes and he has to remove milk and citrics for a while but if I start removing entire types of food I end up not knowing what to replace it with.

I will see if invalisng improved if not then I may get braces. But are they safe? because thechnically you would have some metal on your mouth 24/7. Doesnt this cause a heavy metal buildup or something?

What type of coconut oil exactly are you using? link to shop? if i search coconut oil there are a ton of types or products and im not sure.

I may remove milk for some days and see what happens since the itching started again after I drank the bowl of milk this afternoon. It sucks because I really like milk with cookies daily. The cookies have EVOO (not palm oil) and aren't industrial famous ones. I think they should be decent quality ones.

What about citrics? I drink orange juice at morning every day and at night I either eat yogurt or kiwi. On weekend a hagen datz belgium chocolate icecream. This is for after dinner. I ask because i've read some dude said that this happens to him sometimes and he has to remove milk and citrics for a while but if I start removing entire types of food I end up not knowing what to replace it with.
I wouldn't give up the milk yet. Add some sugar and salt to it. Sugar and salt are really good anti-histamines. It sounded like an combo to me when I read Ray Peat suggesting it for those having problems with milk, but it is tasty! I use this coconut oil and I have tried several brands. I have a metal permanent retainer and am not sure about the heavy metals. I did use to have heavy metal problems, but since I upped my milk consumption any symptoms of heavy metals have gone away. I recently put two and two together that calcium binds to heavy metals. Milk seems to be a good cheater when nothing else worked before. Do the carrot, lemon, olive oil and salt salad and see if a couple of days of that clears the white tongue.

Attachments

• 20210923_131218.jpg
    20210923_131218.jpg
    312.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 20210923_131229.jpg
    20210923_131229.jpg
    374.1 KB · Views: 4
"Yes, the plain carrot is good. For people who want more antimicrobial effect, the saturated fats and vinegar are helpful." -Ray Peat e-mail exchange

"Local bacteria are usually involved in the white tongue, but typically the problem is mainly in the intestine. I have experimented with the old-fashioned "intestinal disinfectant" camphoric acid (it used to be a common pharmaceutical, 80 to 100 years ago), and when I would swallow about 100 to 200 mg of it in the evening, I would wake up with a perfectly clean tongue, not a bit of the white. Bamboo shoots, raw carrot, and flowers of sulfur are other antiseptics that can reduce the white tongue." -Ray Peat e-mail exchange

Ray Peat also says what cows eat seasonally can make you react to milk certain times of the year. Even changing your milk to milk from a different area can make a difference.

"...many people who, especially in certain seasons, don't tolerate raw milk. Cows' bacteria change according to what they are eating, and sometimes even the low level of bacteria in pasteurized milk can upset the person's intestinal balance of bacteria. I advise against eating the solid parts of coconut, as a regular part of the diet, and recommend the deodorized refined oil, because so many people are allergic to the proteins (and starches) of coconut." -Ray Peat e-mail exchange

Yogurt can be causing a yeast build up. RP says the cultures they use in yogurts and cheeses can cause problems. Keep the milk and ditch the yogurt.

YO
About yogurt....
"In quantities of an ounce or so, for flavoring, it's o.k., but the lactic acid content isn't good if you are using yogurt as a major source of your protein and calcium. It triggers the inflammatory reactions, leading to fibrosis eventually, and the immediate effect is to draw down the liver's glycogen stores for energy to convert it into glucose." -Ray Peat

OP
R

rayban

"Yes, the plain carrot is good. For people who want more antimicrobial effect, the saturated fats and vinegar are helpful." -Ray Peat e-mail exchange
Interesting bits. I will add a raw carrow to the salad. I always have a bit of salad with salt, EVOO, onion, will add the carrot.

I will try milk in a few days because after the itch started, some days later I also had diarrea problem, so I have been doing a diet for when that happens. I wonder if the tongue situation is related. I haven't gone to the WC again so I think its recovering. I will wait until I add milk. The other day with the chocolate icecream I had bad reaction with the mouth again so it was depressing thinking I couldn't eat icecreams again. Hope its temporal and I can eat the usual diet soon.

Interesting bits. I will add a raw carrow to the salad. I always have a bit of salad with salt, EVOO, onion, will add the carrot.

I will try milk in a few days because after the itch started, some days later I also had diarrea problem, so I have been doing a diet for when that happens. I wonder if the tongue situation is related. I haven't gone to the WC again so I think its recovering. I will wait until I add milk. The other day with the chocolate icecream I had bad reaction with the mouth again so it was depressing thinking I couldn't eat icecreams again. Hope its temporal and I can eat the usual diet soon.

You are better off having the carrot salad away from food as it will absorb the vitamins from your food and take it out of the body too.

"Since the fiber [CARROT] will delay digestion and reduce absorption of other foods, I think it's best to eat it between meals, usually in the afternoon." -Ray Peat

Making ribbons out of it with a potato peeler is much better too, as it acts like a rag mop. I attached a couple of pics of mine.

"Just chewing a carrot is best, any saturated fat around the same time is o.k. What doesn't work very well is to grind the carrot very fine." -Ray Peat

Bamboo shoots have the same action as carrots.

Attachments

• 20210929_165707.jpg
    20210929_165707.jpg
    455.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 20210129_193526.jpg
    20210129_193526.jpg
    467.8 KB · Views: 5
OP
R

rayban

You are better off having the carrot salad away from food as it will absorb the vitamins from your food and take it out of the body too.

"Since the fiber [CARROT] will delay digestion and reduce absorption of other foods, I think it's best to eat it between meals, usually in the afternoon." -Ray Peat

Making ribbons out of it with a potato peeler is much better too, as it acts like a rag mop. I attached a couple of pics of mine.

"Just chewing a carrot is best, any saturated fat around the same time is o.k. What doesn't work very well is to grind the carrot very fine." -Ray Peat

Bamboo shoots have the same action as carrots.
eating only carrot? it's not a very tasty food to eat by itself. But if it's good I would definitely eat it as a snack between meals instead of taking supplements.
How much of it does RP eat daily to get an idea of what's reasonable?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals