White-collar Jobs Linked To ALS And Parkinson

haidut

Forum Supporter
Ever since ALS and Parkinson were formally introduced into the medical vocabulary, the medical industry has been trying to explain their increasing incidence with a variety of bizarre genetic stories. The genetic explanation started to collapse in the late 90s when it became evident that 90% of ALS cases are non-familial, and the story about Parkinson soon followed suit. Btw, it should have collapsed decades earlier given that increasing incidence cannot be explained by genetic causes.
This new study adds a new twist to the story by showing that specific occupations/professions are associated with these lethal conditions. Despite the expectations, it was not hard physical labor (blue-collar) but rather office jobs that had the strongest associations. Having spent countless hours under blue fluorescent office lights, I can attest first-hand that even a healthy person can feel a bout of muscle weakness or limbs trembling after prolonged exposure to a high-stress, poorly-lit, boring, soul-crushing office environment. I would like to see the study repeated by classifying jobs by stress-level, the statistics of which is readily available from federal and state DoL agencies.
The sad morale of the story is that as this study says health agencies are completely in the dark about the real causes of these terrible diseases. As such, do not expect effective therapies any time soon.

Are White-Collar Jobs Linked to ALS, Parkinson's? | American Council on Science and Health

"...As shown, the occupations that are linked to the greatest proportion of ALS and Parkinson's deaths are mostly white-collar in nature, such as management, financial, architectural, computing, legal, and education jobs. The conventional wisdom would suggest that occupations associated with low socioeconomic status -- such as construction, extraction, and maintenance jobs -- would be linked to the greatest number of ALS and Parkinson's deaths because of workers' environmental exposures to various chemicals. But that's not what the CDC found. Instead, they found that these jobs were linked to a smaller number of deaths than would be expected. Why? The authors don't know. They correctly note that the data suffers from some serious drawbacks that limit their ability to draw firm conclusions, such as a lack of information on individual exposures. The occupation groups are also broad: Farmers are lumped into a category called "farming, fishing, and forestry." It still may be possible that pesticides are a cause of ALS or Parkinson's in farmers, but an association would not be discovered in this analysis because farmers are categorized with other workers who don't use pesticides. The CDC's findings were surprising. If they are replicated by others, then it would suggest that researchers may be totally in the dark in regard to the cause of most cases of ALS and Parkinson's."

Mufasa

What would be a way to counter the effect of computer screens? I placed an infrared light mini lamp from redlightman on my desk. Any other options?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
What would be a way to counter the effect of computer screens? I placed an infrared light mini lamp from redlightman on my desk. Any other options?

You can use F.lux to stop the screen from emitting blue light.
f.lux

FredSonoma

Just in: non-white collar jobs highly correlated to inability to afford a Ray Peat diet

Makrosky

Just in: non-white collar jobs highly correlated to inability to afford a Ray Peat diet
Seriously ? First I would remind there's no such thing as "RP diet". But besides that, staple RP recommended foods are cheaper than anything.
Coffee, potatoes, milk, sugar, liver, OJ, gelatin, aspirin, fat solubles, eggs, etc... They are all extremely cheap man. Even supplements. For 40 bucks you can have more than a year of daily pure pregnenolone powder from healthnatura.

Nokoni

ray_peat_diet_cheap.jpg

Nokoni

A picture paints a thousand words, and never have a thousand words been truer.
Amen. Now back to my spelling lessons... :)

FredSonoma

Seriously ? First I would remind there's no such thing as "RP diet". But besides that, staple RP recommended foods are cheaper than anything.
Coffee, potatoes, milk, sugar, liver, OJ, gelatin, aspirin, fat solubles, eggs, etc... They are all extremely cheap man. Even supplements. For 40 bucks you can have more than a year of daily pure pregnenolone powder from healthnatura.
Idk what I'm doing wrong but unless I'm eating large amounts of rice, potatoes, or bread, I'm running up $800+ on my food per month.

Birdie

And it depends which fruit you buy. However, prices have gone up a lot. Got some organic berries yesterday and paid $3 at WM. (And not delicious.)

I've noticed from time to time Ray talks about lower cost options. How to work with rice, potatoes, bread ... That poor people can improve their food with his info has always been something appealed to me with Ray. However, I'm not in that situation right now, so haven't kept track.

Years ago, in poor days, when I ate french fries with ketchup at McDonalds for a meal I didn't know of RP. Once in a while a friend would buy me a hamburger that I ate w/o the bun. But with what we know now, those fries in the fat used then weren't really unhealthy.

walker_in_aus

Could be constant high EMF exposure from computers/phones/tablets/devices/flying and lack of fresh air, vitamin d, heavy drinking and drug culture, work weeks often exceeding 60-70 hours.... and blue light of course feckin' everything up.