White button mushrooms as an optimal dinner meal with bone broth?

Ben Stone

I've reviewed a few threads here but couldn't see anything that directly addressed this...

I understand with the mushrooms or carrots one wants to generally have them away from other large meals. I have been having 115g (~300g pre boiling) in a small amount of ghee, along with a cup of gelatinous bone broth as a dinner meal. I am reasonably "full" after this low calorie meal, and it fits with my ideal framework of breakfast like a king...dinner like a pauper, with gelatin rich bone broth to calm in the evening.

Any theoretical issues (positive or negative) having bone broth with my daily white button mushroom meal? I don't really feel anything (except increased bowel frequency) one way or another with the mushrooms (on week 3 now) but will keep it up as I enjoy the taste and helps manage calories in the evening.....

mostlylurking

I remember Ray Peat saying that it's better to eat the fiber food (mushrooms, carrot salad, bamboo shoots) in the afternoon unless you just enjoy getting up in the middle of the night to poop. I also have a memory of him saying you can eat the fiber food with a meal, it will slow digestion some but it's not a big deal. Bone broth + mushrooms = mushroom soup!

The downside of choosing to eat a paucity of calories at dinner is that you aren't providing your liver anything to make it through the night with. You are setting yourself up to run out of glucose which will trigger stress hormones (adrenaline and cortisol) and make for a difficult wakeful time instead of restorative deep sleep. If you wake up with your heart pounding around 2:00AM, don't blame the nightmare, as it is triggered by running out of glucose. To get back to sleep, drink some orange juice or some sugared milk.

OP
Ben Stone

Ben Stone

I remember Ray Peat saying that it's better to eat the fiber food (mushrooms, carrot salad, bamboo shoots) in the afternoon unless you just enjoy getting up in the middle of the night to poop. I also have a memory of him saying you can eat the fiber food with a meal, it will slow digestion some but it's not a big deal. Bone broth + mushrooms = mushroom soup!

The downside of choosing to eat a paucity of calories at dinner is that you aren't providing your liver anything to make it through the night with. You are setting yourself up to run out of glucose which will trigger stress hormones (adrenaline and cortisol) and make for a difficult wakeful time instead of restorative deep sleep. If you wake up with your heart pounding around 2:00AM, don't blame the nightmare, as it is triggered by running out of glucose. To get back to sleep, drink some orange juice or some sugared milk.
Thanks for your insights. Fortunately I seem to sleep like a rock but if that changes will keep this in mind. I do have a good size meal of meat and honey around 2 most days so that likely helps!

mostlylurking

Thanks for your insights. Fortunately I seem to sleep like a rock but if that changes will keep this in mind. I do have a good size meal of meat and honey around 2 most days so that likely helps!
I think it depends on how good your liver is at storing sugar and how sensitive you are to adrenaline and cortisol. I'm 71, I have to be careful what I eat in the evening and before bed or I'll wake up with a jolt and have to have milk & sugar to get back to sleep.

Last edited:
OP
Ben Stone

Ben Stone

I
I get a libido boost 2-3 hours after consuming this. I also feel increased anxiety/adrenaline type feeling.
So good and bad I take it, maybe the good outweighs the bad!

Beastmode

I've had this for dinner, however I always seem to do best when I add some grated cheese. The added calcium is probably helping with the deeper sleep the nights I eat this.

OP
Ben Stone

Ben Stone

I've had this for dinner, however I always seem to do best when I add some grated cheese. The added calcium is probably helping with the deeper sleep the nights I eat this.
I shall try this.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals