Which Of These Vices Is The Worst?

danielbb

Nice well-thought out post @tankasnowgod. I agree, you don't want to bypass social occasions due to not drinking. Only if someone asks me do I mention it, and that is why I like club soda (or similar things like you mentioned) as most people assume I am drinking and leave me alone. I don't mind at all if other people are drinking but sometimes near the end of the night, my tolerance for inebriated people wears a bit thin. My goals were similar and that is what supplied the motivation for me. I wanted to optimize health in general and liver health specifically. After being away from it for a time, I realized I no longer needed it.

OP
cyclops

cyclops

I guess one thing I wanted to confirm is that all of these substances are in fact a net BAD if using recreationally or for stress management.

Of course every substance has some benefits, but overall it seems clear we'd be better off without them in any amount if possible. The negatives simply outweigh the positives in regard to Kratom, Alcohol, Smoking Tobacco, and Vaping Nicotine.

tankasnowgod

Nice well-thought out post @tankasnowgod. I agree, you don't want to bypass social occasions due to not drinking. Only if someone asks me do I mention it, and that is why I like club soda (or similar things like you mentioned) as most people assume I am drinking and leave me alone. I don't mind at all if other people are drinking but sometimes near the end of the night, my tolerance for inebriated people wears a bit thin. My goals were similar and that is what supplied the motivation for me. I wanted to optimize health in general and liver health specifically. After being away from it for a time, I realized I no longer needed it.

Thank you! Funny thing, your original post also reminded me of this old Aquafina commercial-

I only remember seeing it once, but it stuck in my memory, because it was a beer commercial, EXCEPT it was for water. Funny thing, if you go back and look at most alcohol and beer advertising, they aren't really selling the product itself, they are selling a good time or a party. The alcohol is incidental. In fact, if you look up alcohol and beer commercials that are broadcast, no one ACTUALLY takes a drink. they are all just holding it, incidental to a good time (note, there are some internet only commercial exceptions where actors do take a drink).

danielbb

Funny thing, if you go back and look at most alcohol and beer advertising, they aren't really selling the product itself, they are selling a good time or a party. The alcohol is incidental. In fact, if you look up alcohol and beer commercials that are broadcast, no one ACTUALLY takes a drink. they are all just holding it, incidental to a good time
You are singing to the choir. I believe we were all deceived at very young and impressionable ages and I am saddened by that. I am not telling anyone not to drink. I am suggesting if I had never been exposed to it, I would have never even considered drinking. All I am saying now, after being away from it over a year and obviously in hindsight, is it seems unnecessary to have a good time. I still enjoy social occasions where everyone "else" is drinking. My brain had to be rewired from all the improper social programming (especially from TV and including my parents who were not heavy drinkers) to understand that.

bk_

Has anyone mentioned by what mechanism does alcohol, nicotine, and other substances have thei “positive benefits” and if these mechanisms are the result of negative consequences (an example is resveratrol in raising cortisol)?

As an aside, in my opinion relying on substances that are toxic and have high potential for serious problems like alcohol just for altering mood is as leaning on crutch whenever one needs to walk.

Life is full of difficulty but in order to grow from adversity and experiences one needs introspection, meditation, follow through with grief, develop patience and forgiveness. All this is best exercised when sober, just as one can only truly walk when the crutch is gone for good.

Vinero

Why not use something like pregnenolone to deal with stress? Better to get addicted to that.

Frankdee20

Why not use something like pregnenolone to deal with stress? Better to get addicted to that.

Pregnenalone is really hit or miss for a lot of people it seems. Oral Pregnenalone that is. Dosing is tricky, and it has to be taken with a lot of fuel to avoid a stress reaction. It can also induce depersonalization in some.

Runenight201

I’ve had a drink of alcohol, which made me more friendly, which made me have more conversations, which led me to having a better time, which led me to being thoroughly happy with how my night went, and made me enjoy the company of people more.

Alcohol was a net benefit in this scenario. Should I need it to be more friendly? Certainly not, but until I have that rock of confidence through a connection with Divinity, i see these crutches as positive influences if used responsibly.

Alcohol/tobacco/sugar/drugs feel good. Life isn’t some strict orthorexic box. These substances can alleviate the sometimes painful state of consciousness, and help expand the soul into an ethereal realm. Substances have been used by religious folk for millennia to enter into supernatural states, and some extremist would argue that anything that expands the soul (art, music, laughter, dance, intimacy, connection) is a religious experience.

Seek out these soul expansions, for they bring meaning and joy into an otherwise harsh life, and if one needs substances to access them, then so be it. Just be aware and responsible for when perhaps they may be taken too far.