Which Of The Two Women Do You Find Most Attractive? (study)

Which of the two women do you find most attractive?

• The left one.

Votes: 10 9.0%
  • The right one.

Votes: 101 91.0%

• Total voters

berk

The more testosterone in men's blood, the more they are attracted to women with very feminine facial features, write British psychologists in Hormones & Behavior.

That women's hormone levels contribute to the kind of men they are attracted to has been known for some time. When women are fertile, and have relatively high amounts of sex hormone in their blood, they are more attracted to men whose facial features reflect high testosterone levels. The Brits wondered whether the same is true for men as well.

Scientists know how testosterone changes a woman's face, and there is software on the market that enables you to masculinise or feminise photos of women. The researchers used the software to change faces like the one below: the photo on the left shows a woman with 'masculinised' features, and the one on the right shows the same woman, but then 'feminised'.

malefemale.jpg

The researchers took photos of twenty men and twenty women, and then made masculine and feminine versions of them. They then showed the photos to thirty heterosexual male students. This was done in two different sessions. Both times the test subjects had to say which photo they found most attractive: the masculine or the feminine one.

On both occasions the researchers measured the amount of testosterone that was being produced in the men's saliva. Then the researchers looked at the difference in preference recorded between when the testosterone level was relatively low and when the testosterone level was relatively high. The figure below summarises the results.

malefemale.gif

When the men's testosterone levels were relatively high, they showed a greater preference for feminine faces. The effect when they were shown male faces is negligible, but the effect of testosterone fluctuations when looking at female faces was significant.

Source:
Horm Behav. 2008 Nov;54(5):703-8.

T

TheBeard

Right now I'm back on very high doses of testosterone, and I definitely find the woman from the right picture more attractive.
Would be curious to see if my opinion changes once/if I'm off testosterone

TheSir

The more testosterone in men's blood, the more they are attracted to women with very feminine facial features
I think that comparison is a poor example because both of the faces have low femininity, only the other is slightly more feminine. No wonder that all the 18 voters so far have voted for the right one. A more interesting poll could be created with avg feminine vs hyper-feminine faces.

J

jb116

I think that comparison is a poor example because both of the faces have low femininity, only the other is slightly more feminine. No wonder that all the 18 voters so far have voted for the right one. A more interesting poll could be created with avg feminine vs hyper-feminine faces.
Why does that matter? It seems more interesting when the difference is minute. It shows that there is a discerning difference, even when small, based on hormones. It seems less interesting if there is a stark or obvious difference.

BearWithMe

Both of them looks scary /non-human to me. They give me the weird feeling you have when you look in the face of killers/serious psychopaths. Probably poor photo editing.

TheSir

Why does that matter? It seems more interesting when the difference is minute. It shows that there is a discerning difference, even when small, based on hormones. It seems less interesting if there is a stark or obvious difference.
Well the article states that high testosterone increases attraction to very feminine features. In the example no such features are present, which is why even those with average (or below-average) testosterone naturally find the mildly more feminine face more attractive. In contrast, someone with low testosterone would not necessarily find a hyper-feminine face preferable to the faces presented in the OP.

J

jb116

Well the article states that high testosterone increases attraction to very feminine features. In the example no such features are present, which is why even those with average (or below-average) testosterone naturally find the mildly more feminine face more attractive. In contrast, someone with low testosterone would not necessarily find a hyper-feminine face preferable to the faces presented in the OP.
Hmm I can see the conclusion that the right pic is more feminine, and in turn more people chose that as "more feminine." This is confirmed even by this poll alone, not a coincidence. But I'm not seeing how you can conclude, in any real objective way, what is "very feminine" versus not so feminine if a majority of let's say non-gay males pick a particular look. It doesn't matter at that point since one can't definitively define it. Here, we have two pictures and it seems unanimously that the right pic is the more "attractive"/feminine picture. What would validate what you're looking for is to have all 3 pictures compared to see who picks what. At least in that way, there is some kind of objective value based on a direct relative comparison.

laleto12

lighting looks different to me.
Therefore left one has a better looking skin.

Edit: nevermind it was my phone :D

Last edited:

schultz

Did ya'll rate the pic before reading the article as to not bias the results? Seeing the title I went straight to the pictures, made my decision and then read the article.

milkboi

The left one is very ugly, the right one is f'able. I would never ever consider the left one as a sexual partner. And my T is on the low end of the spectrum.

LeeLemonoil

The study is worthless. Saliva T doesn’t tell anything about the true „androgenic“ situation and hormonal/steroidal homeostasis of an individual.
The higher T saliva probands might have higher cortisol and aromatase and might be hypersexual. I wouldn’t **** both of these women tbh

Max23

After 43 votes I was the only one to pick the left picture. That one has a darker, betterlooking skin and looks like a stronger, more confident and capable person.

Jpkoepse

After 43 votes I was the only one to pick the left picture. That one has a darker, betterlooking skin and looks like a stronger, more confident and capable person.
Same. What's that say about us? I like a strong looking woman. The right doesn't seem more feminine but instead more weak and vulnerable. Interesting thread!

Waynish

Wow; what kind of choice is that? Haha... Seriously, it looks like the 2nd one shaved her eyebrows and drew fake ones higher. Please spare me the, "oh you're not allowed to not be attracted to [protected class]." Not only does the one on the left look less feminine, but she appears lower energy as well. People would believe it if this were titled: "before and after the first week of a cocaine habit."

The more masculine, the more feminine - yes, male+female is about balance. This is why homosexual relationships and depolarized relationships are so problematic. There is a reason that "polarity" has been a virtue for centuries. This would also predict that there is a limit to this "testosterone as causal," idea - which I disagree with. For example, look at super high testosterone (from injections) men of the huge unnatural body builder sort - and how often they prefer masculine body builder women. Of course we could say they became obsessed with muscles or something - and then preferred women with huge muscles too - but I don't think that is much of an explanation. Put simply: testosterone past a certain amount does not continue to increase polarity. It probably decreases it by increasing physiological stress via estrogen, imbalance, etc.

Last edited:

mangoes

Im gay and the right one is still prettier.

It’s prettier but mainly because of the change in eyes/canthal tilt. The other changes are negligible like the nostril width and maybe a slightly wider zygomatic arch? The hairline change looks somewhat weird and the brows are just a no, although they do provide more upper eyelid space which is feminine I guess

Waynish

Im gay and the right one is still prettier.

Boom. Studies like this try to sneak relativism in the back door. Beauty is real.

Put another way: almost all significant deformities of the body are by definition anti-female (if in a woman) and anti-male (if in a man). By its mere existence, the scientists behind this study expose themselves as religious (worshiping in the church of scientism).

Both of them looks scary /non-human to me. They give me the weird feeling you have when you look in the face of killers/serious psychopaths. Probably poor photo editing.

She looks like those folks from faces of meth.

images

Now seriously.
She doesn't look more feminine or more masculine. Just better genetics vs worse. Left one looks more like village girl from very limited genetic pool, small village where everyone is everyone's relative. Inbreeding thing. Less attractive because of higher possibility of inherited disorders in her offspring. I would even say incest. Right one is like small town girl.

Last edited:

TheSir

Hmm I can see the conclusion that the right pic is more feminine, and in turn more people chose that as "more feminine." This is confirmed even by this poll alone, not a coincidence. But I'm not seeing how you can conclude, in any real objective way, what is "very feminine" versus not so feminine if a majority of let's say non-gay males pick a particular look. It doesn't matter at that point since one can't definitively define it. Here, we have two pictures and it seems unanimously that the right pic is the more "attractive"/feminine picture. What would validate what you're looking for is to have all 3 pictures compared to see who picks what. At least in that way, there is some kind of objective value based on a direct relative comparison.
Defining feminine facial development is quite objective due to specific hormones affecting the face in a pre-determined way:

6KhcW0s.gif

Imgur

J

jb116

Defining feminine facial development is quite objective due to specific hormones affecting the face in a pre-determined way:

6KhcW0s.gif

Imgur
I think the tendencies illustrated here are precisely what the pic above in the OP on the right made people pick it as the more feminine looking face. The reference to "very feminine" I see more as a personal preference of a brand of beauty. My main point however being that it wasn't relevant at any rate to this specific comparison.