Which habit/supplement/routine has increased the quality and speed of your hair growth the most?

yerrag

Yeah, he always addresses himself as a 'health and wellness expert', which I get a good laugh at, and it sounds funny as well with his southern accent. He promotes the alkaline water pretty heavy, and I have seen him promote fish oils in videos, so the expert part is dubious to me. I have empathy for his story of being a dentist who has been Hg poisoned, so I suppose I could relate to that having been through that as well. I know from communicating with him that is is using the NBMI for Hg detox. I have had mixed results talking to Ron or his people, they don't win any awards for communication.
I mostly use his product because it 'seems' pure, it doesn't give me any issues, but I have not dug deep into finding a product of similar quality at a better price.
I will check out the brand you talked about.
I suspect that why MSM helps my hair is because provides sulfur that is diverted to replenish albumin. I lose my albumin faster because my albumin gets oxidized as an antioxidant chronically in order to protect tissues from being destroyed by ROS which spills over from the phagocytosis of microbes.

I've been taking a lot of gelatin but adding MSM completes the circle.

Flash

I think we could write another book on hair so aside from good nutrition I will chip in with caffeine topically and the tri-peptide topical on Amazon.
As an aside caffeine shows rapid absorption in the hair follicle. Note I said follicle as opposed to cutaneous. So shampoos with caffeine for example will show absorption when left on hair for greater than 1 min studies say. This may show why shampoos with growth factors may be absorbed when left on for a few minutes to my previous cynicism on shampoos.
How do you apply the topical caffeine? Can you refer to the product do you use?

OP
G

golder

How do you apply the topical caffeine? Can you refer to the product do you use?
Shampoo with caffeine in them, so presumably in or before the shower, leave for 3+ mins.
And/or a topical spray that you can apply topically to the scalp, perhaps pre bed. Some people advocate microneedling before the topical spray.

Neeters 27

I know there have been similar style posts in the past, but I’m keen to get an up-to-date consensus on what people have found useful. Thanks!
Progesterone, thyroid, and Zinc.
Progesterone lengthens the growth phase or hair thats why pregnant women have great hair, and then it falls out and thins once they stop breastfeeding. Thyroid help or Rx if you need it. Zinc made my leg hair regrow, even though years ago I had it lazered off and they were bare for almost 10 years.

Flash

Shampoo with caffeine in them, so presumably in or before the shower, leave for 3+ mins.
And/or a topical spray that you can apply topically to the scalp, perhaps pre bed. Some people advocate microneedling before the topical spray.
Thanks. What brand of topical spray?

yerrag

I suspect that why MSM helps my hair is because provides sulfur that is diverted to replenish albumin. I lose my albumin faster because my albumin gets oxidized as an antioxidant chronically in order to protect tissues from being destroyed by ROS which spills over from the phagocytosis of microbes.

@Dave Clark

I did some more research as I'm going to buy more MSM and while I was satisfied with my local supplier who sells Happy Body, I couldn't help but ask myself why there are lower costing MSM powder. It turns out that there is a lot of word play and obfuscation involved by those selling MSM at higher prices, and from those selling at lower prices, there is a lot of withholding key information in order to sell an inferior product.

These are the facts, afaik -

Organic simply means pure. Has nothing to do with it being made directly from plant sources
The natural form of MSM is no different from the manufactured form of MSM-on a pure, uncontaminated basis.
The raw material for making MSM is DMSO and hydrogen peroxide; DMSO in turn is made DMS from oxidized DMS, in turn made from methyl alcohol and hydrogen sulfide.
The final product is obtained by either distillation or by crystallization, where the former gives a product that has far less contamination.
Only one manufacturer in the US makes MSM and it is done by a 4-stage distillation process which produces a 99.8 percent pure product, where heavy metals and volatile organic products are removed.
OptiMSM is its product made by its patented process. The other manufacturers in China mostly, if not wholly, use the crystallization process.
MSM not in capsules or tablets are available in flake or powder form. The flake is powder that clumps together because there is no silicon dioxide (0.1 %) added.
Careful not to believe in claims of one's product being made from "clean" plant (lignin) sources and of innuendos that competing brands are made from petrochemical "dirty" sources

I'd just keep it simple and buy the Optimsm flake form if I'm wary of the powder form that has 0.1% silicon dioxide. But I think the Optimsm powder form is still fine. What I should avoid is the crystallized form, which comes from a cheaper manufacturing process, and which can leave heavy metal and VOC contaminants in the product.

yerrag

@Dave Clark

I did some more research as I'm going to buy more MSM and while I was satisfied with my local supplier who sells Happy Body, I couldn't help but ask myself why there are lower costing MSM powder. It turns out that there is a lot of word play and obfuscation involved by those selling MSM at higher prices, and from those selling at lower prices, there is a lot of withholding key information in order to sell an inferior product.

These are the facts, afaik -

Organic simply means pure. Has nothing to do with it being made directly from plant sources
The natural form of MSM is no different from the manufactured form of MSM-on a pure, uncontaminated basis.
The raw material for making MSM is DMSO and hydrogen peroxide; DMSO in turn is made DMS from oxidized DMS, in turn made from methyl alcohol and hydrogen sulfide.
The final product is obtained by either distillation or by crystallization, where the former gives a product that has far less contamination.
Only one manufacturer in the US makes MSM and it is done by a 4-stage distillation process which produces a 99.8 percent pure product, where heavy metals and volatile organic products are removed.
OptiMSM is its product made by its patented process. The other manufacturers in China mostly, if not wholly, use the crystallization process.
MSM not in capsules or tablets are available in flake or powder form. The flake is powder that clumps together because there is no silicon dioxide (0.1 %) added.
Careful not to believe in claims of one's product being made from "clean" plant (lignin) sources and of innuendos that competing brands are made from petrochemical "dirty" sources

I'd just keep it simple and buy the Optimsm flake form if I'm wary of the powder form that has 0.1% silicon dioxide. But I think the Optimsm powder form is still fine. What I should avoid is the crystallized form, which comes from a cheaper manufacturing process, and which can leave heavy metal and VOC contaminants in the product.

Glad I said "afaik" lol

Here's a product that is made in the USA and is made from plant (lignin) sources: and sells for much lower than Ron Neer's product:

Amazon product ASIN B007UI30AWView: https://smile.amazon.com/Powder-100-pure-Power-made/dp/B007UI30AW/ref=sr_1_32?keywords=msm&qid=1663570133&refinements=p_n_feature_eleven_browse-bin%3A23975217011%7C23975228011&rnid=23975212011&s=hpc&sr=1-32

dreamcatcher

Why don't you just eat lots of onions?

yerrag

Why don't you just eat lots of onions?
Yes, onions have a lot of sulfur. But I eat enough of it as a condiment in cooking. Although I may still be able to increase my intake intake, In don't know how much more I can take until I get side effects.

I learned my lesson already overdosing on garlic before and for 3 months I was having coughing problems only to realize I was having an overly acidic load that made me very acidic.

I have a feeling I could a repeat experience of a similar kind.

dreamcatcher

Yes, onions have a lot of sulfur. But I eat enough of it as a condiment in cooking. Although I may still be able to increase my intake intake, In don't know how much more I can take until I get side effects.

I learned my lesson already overdosing on garlic before and for 3 months I was having coughing problems only to realize I was having an overly acidic load that made me very acidic.

I have a feeling I could a repeat experience of a similar kind.
That's interesting to hear. Specially, as different organs require different pH to function optimally. Our cells should be on the acidic side - according to Ray Peat.

yerrag

That's interesting to hear. Specially, as different organs require different pH to function optimally. Our cells should be on the acidic side - according to Ray Peat.
I was referring to the relative acidity of my blood. When I said my blood is acidic, it meant it was more acidic than it should be. So when it should at a pH of 7.4, by being at a pH of 7.3, it is already acidic relatively, even though it is in absolute terms alkaline.

And yes, the cell is slightly acidic.

When the acid-base balance isn't there, there is loss of homeostasis, which affects general health greatly.

Vins7

I was referring to the relative acidity of my blood. When I said my blood is acidic, it meant it was more acidic than it should be. So when it should at a pH of 7.4, by being at a pH of 7.3, it is already acidic relatively, even though it is in absolute terms alkaline.

And yes, the cell is slightly acidic.

When the acid-base balance isn't there, there is loss of homeostasis, which affects general health greatly.

This hypothesis about the ability of food to change the pH of the body and be able to generate problems is highly criticized by most since there is no evidence to support it, but in my opinion, it also seems logical that it has some implication? In your case, have you experienced it yourself? Have you fixed any problems by changing the pH of the foods in your diet?

yerrag

This hypothesis about the ability of food to change the pH of the body and be able to generate problems is highly criticized by most since there is no evidence to support it, but in my opinion, it also seems logical that it has some implication? In your case, have you experienced it yourself? Have you fixed any problems by changing the pH of the foods in your diet?
I think a lot of important principles of physiology is lost when it is overshadowed by talk of pH of food being the key driver of acid-base balance in the body.

On that basis, acidic foods such as meat and lemon should get tossed out. While food that isn't acidic such as PUFAs gets eaten while internally it causes the body to produce energy in a manner that causes the body to become acidic, primarily from depriving the body the benefit of producing its own CO2, which is a key component of a pH buffer system to put the body in a state of homeostasis by virtue of being able to right itself into an optimal acid-base balance.

Certainly, meat us acidic, but it is a source of protein from which amino acids are sourced that form the building blocks of tissues and enzymes and hormones. But it's no excuse though to say since it's needed one should indulge in eating a lot of meat. Because the body's detox organs such as the liver and kidneys have to do a lot more work to rid the body of excess acidity. The less time the body is in an acidic state, or in an alkaline state for matter, the more energy is wasted trying to right the ship, so to speak, instead of the ship sailing smoothly and being on its way. And the way to the land if milk and honey is to have excess energy to develop a better mind, body, and the soul is not far behind.

Lastly, intake of minerals such as potassium, magnesium, calcium, and sodium certainly helps balance the intake of acidic food. And by way of fruits and vegetables, and leaves, and with cheese and milk, the body is not going to be lacking in mineral stores that play an important role in regulating pH. But that's a longer explanation that I can expand on later, if requested.

dreamcatcher

I think a lot of important principles of physiology is lost when it is overshadowed by talk of pH of food being the key driver of acid-base balance in the body.

On that basis, acidic foods such as meat and lemon should get tossed out. While food that isn't acidic such as PUFAs gets eaten while internally it causes the body to produce energy in a manner that causes the body to become acidic, primarily from depriving the body the benefit of producing its own CO2, which is a key component of a pH buffer system to put the body in a state of homeostasis by virtue of being able to right itself into an optimal acid-base balance.

Certainly, meat us acidic, but it is a source of protein from which amino acids are sourced that form the building blocks of tissues and enzymes and hormones. But it's no excuse though to say since it's needed one should indulge in eating a lot of meat. Because the body's detox organs such as the liver and kidneys have to do a lot more work to rid the body of excess acidity. The less time the body is in an acidic state, or in an alkaline state for matter, the more energy is wasted trying to right the ship, so to speak, instead of the ship sailing smoothly and being on its way. And the way to the land if milk and honey is to have excess energy to develop a better mind, body, and the soul is not far behind.

Lastly, intake of minerals such as potassium, magnesium, calcium, and sodium certainly helps balance the intake of acidic food. And by way of fruits and vegetables, and leaves, and with cheese and milk, the body is not going to be lacking in mineral stores that play an important role in regulating pH. But that's a longer explanation that I can expand on later, if requested.
That was a very interesting read, thank you for sharing. I would love to hear more.

Inaut

Recently I’ve started rinsing my hair with kombucha and msm. My hair feels very clean and soft when it dries and I quite like it so far. Will probably try this out for a couple of months to see if it does anything in terms of hair growth though. For the cost, it’s definitely worth the trial.

Thanks again for sharing the study @David PS

OP
G

golder

Recently I’ve started rinsing my hair with kombucha and msm. My hair feels very clean and soft when it dries and I quite like it so far. Will probably try this out for a couple of months to see if it does anything in terms of hair growth though. For the cost, it’s definitely worth the trial.

Thanks again for sharing the study @David PS
Nice. Presumably this is homemade? Out of curiosity how are you making it? Kombucha tea bag, few inches of hot water, empty half an MSM capsule, apply topically before shower and leave for 10 mins?

Inaut

Nice. Presumably this is homemade? Out of curiosity how are you making it? Kombucha tea bag, few inches of hot water, empty half an MSM capsule, apply topically before shower and leave for 10 mins?
I’m using store bought because it’s just easier for me atm. 1:1 water to kombucha and 1 gram of msm probably. I apply in the shower and leave it in for the duration of the shower. Just rinse it out at the end.

OP
G

golder

I’m using store bought because it’s just easier for me atm. 1:1 water to kombucha and 1 gram of msm probably. I apply in the shower and leave it in for the duration of the shower. Just rinse it out at the end.
Thanks for following up this, I appreciate it. Would you mind taking a photo of the product. I might try and see if i can find it to save me trying to haphazardly make it myself! Cheers man!

Inaut

@James b I buy my kombucha from Costco now. Kirkland brand with ginger and lemon.

Update: still rinsing my hair with kombucha and msm daily. My hair is the best it’s looked and felt in a long long time. The only downside is a very minor smell even after rinsing it out with water. It’s worth it though.