Which Dairy Is Okay?

Christos17

According to Danny Roddy and Ray peat, am I allowed to have organic heavy cream dairy with my coffee every morning? or do I want dairy with no fat?

confused because I thought dairy was generally bad for you.

Bushido1

Whole milk is OK.

The reason that Ray and Danny drink low fat milk is because it is really hard to keep the fats down if you drink a high amount of whole milk. It is also to avoid the small amount of PUFA in whole milk. Since you want to keep your daily PUFA to 4-6gr or so.

In terms of good dairy Ray and Danny recommend: Milk and Parmegianno Regianno (Italian cheese).

Avoid Yogurt and most cheese, since the cheese in the supermarket is full of additives and toxins, so you want to avoid those in general.

OP
C

Christos17

Whole milk is OK.

The reason that Ray and Danny drink low fat milk is because it is really hard to keep the fats down if you drink a high amount of whole milk. It is also to avoid the small amount of PUFA in whole milk. Since you want to keep your daily PUFA to 4-6gr or so.

In terms of good dairy Ray and Danny recommend: Milk and Parmegianno Regianno (Italian cheese).

Avoid Yogurt and most cheese, since the cheese in the supermarket is full of additives and toxins, so you want to avoid those in general.

Oh wow. I have been increasing cottage cheese, cheese, and yogurt thinking I was doing better for my hair. because danny and Ray suggest increasing calcium and lowering photostate. I have been drinking goatmilk as well, BUT this is the organic heavy cream I have every morning with my coffee. Do you suggest I remove it?

Attachments

• image_6546160.JPG
    image_6546160.JPG
    283.5 KB · Views: 20

Bushido1

Cheese, in general, is OK, the problem is the additives that 95% of cheeses in the market have.

Yogurt is not recommended because of the lactic acid content which is stressful for the body. And as you probably know increasing your stress is bad for your hair.

Again, if you want to improve your hair I will try to get all my calcium mainly from milk. And if you can find it Parmigiano reggiano as well.

Goat milk can be OK if that is the only ingredient in the bottle.

Make sure to re-watch Organizing the panic episode 2-3-4 and get clear on what Danny is recommending because I am pretty sure he doesn't recommend yogurt at all.

Cirion

My personal opinion.

Dairy fat is not good, except perhaps in small amounts. Any fat should be minimize for that matter. Fat should compromise of a SMALL portion of calories relative to carbohydrates. The more hypothyroid you are, the larger your carb:fat ratio should be. If you're EXTREMELY metabolically compromised, you carb:fat ratio ought to be as high as 10-20:1 (IMO).

With that caveat... fat is ok in small amounts... and I PERSONALLY (my 2c) suggest non-fat dairy. I am trying out Bob's red mill non-fat dairy because it has no added VA or VD (I'm not a fan of synthetic vitamins). I won't lie, this dairy does not have a great taste though LOL... just fair warning if you try it.

Also I personally find it's extremely easy to over-do even non-fat dairy due to the huge amount of tryptophan in milk. Which if you're hypo, all of that goes to serotonin. Supposedly calcium helps prevent this, but that hasn't been the case for me.

The randle cycle (fats interfering with carb metabolism) is the problem with dairy fat or any other fats for that matter. Fat tends to be estrogenic, and also any fat you intake means less carbs you can have on a calorie budget. (So fats hit you in three ways - adds estrogen to the body, adds fuel to the randle cycle, and displaces caloric allowance)

Now for some people, the randle cycle is almost a non-issue, that's true. Usually though, only someone who is already healthy can tolerate it (we also call this "metabolic flexibility"). However, I think metabolic flexibility can only be achieved by restoring a proper glucose metabolism (insulin sensitivity) first. I base this opinion from one or two people I know that followed the process of ultra high carb/low fat -> restore metabolism, lose weight -> gradually re-introduce fats to good effect. This will now be my strategy as well. A quick way to gauge how many fats you can likely tolerate is how fat you are. Ripped? Probably can tolerate more. Dad bod? Probably need to cut down on the fats.

Last edited:

Runenight201

I strictly drink only whole goats milk, but that on its own will give me problems. Combined with either cocoa and sugar or coffee and maple syrup and the mixtures become super health promoting foods for me. I think cheese is a poor choice of nutrition.

OP
C

Christos17

@Cirion really interesting. I am not overweight as I am 5'9 156lbs, but perhaps my metabolism is still compromised? I do have this organic heavy milk cream and about 3-6 whole eggs every day. I have attached my very recent blood work which shows thyroid numbers. Please let me know what you think

Attachments

• Chris A blood work.jpg
    Chris A blood work.jpg
    354.7 KB · Views: 29

Cirion

Wow dude that's some high reverse T3!

What is your T4/T3? Didn't see those #'s?

High reverse T3 signifies some form of chronic stressor that is causing your body to convert T4 to reverse T3 instead of T3. What is your waking temperature and pulse?

OP
C

Christos17

Wow dude that's some high reverse T3!

What is your T4/T3? Didn't see those #'s?

High reverse T3 signifies some form of chronic stressor that is causing your body to convert T4 to reverse T3 instead of T3. What is your waking temperature and pulse?

I am not sure. I just got the TSH and Reverse T3, as that is what I saw Danny Roddy suggested over twitter. But I did read the same thing you mentioned about high reverse t3. Is this basically an indication that im hypothyroid? I have yet to test my waking pulse but I do know my hands and feet are always very cold (very sensitive to cold enviroments). What kind of stressor do you think it is and how can I fix it? Thanks so much for your help man, really means a lot.

@Cirion just checked my resting pulse and it's at 90.

Last edited:

Inaut

I started eating skyr as an experiment to goats milk a couple of days ago. Not alot of junk other then the probiotic strain (and very little if no whey). I quite like the taste of it with some orange marmalade or fruit. I know haidut has posted on it as an alternative and I think it's worth a try atleast for right now.

OP
C

Christos17

I started eating skyr as an experiment to goats milk a couple of days ago. Not alot of junk other then the probiotic strain (and very little if no whey). I quite like the taste of it with some orange marmalade or fruit. I know haidut has posted on it as an alternative and I think it's worth a try atleast for right now.

oh interesting. I had to google it as I have never heard of this. I am going to give it a shot

RisingSun

According to theory: raw organic.

According to my experience: even raw organic is going to upset you if your microbiome diversity has been damaged and is incomplete with regards to the number of strains.

LucH

Hi,
I would take care with: GLA, biotin and silicium. I use an own mixture with aloe vera, G5 silicium and flower extract (eau florale) for my hair.
Search with: GLA and hair skin nail health's care.
Adapt and manage then with "Peat's rules".
Hope it will help.
PS: GLA (fatty acid) is the limiting factor. Conversion problem after 45 years old (defective enzymatic conversion path).