Whey Protein

zeropercent21

I realize Ray Peat is not a fan of whey protein because of the tryptophan content in it. But I was wondering if adding supplemental gelatin to it would counterbalance the negative effects of tryptophan? I believe Peat recommends supplementing with gelatin if you eat a meal with pure muscle meats in it, so would it be the same for whey protein?

cliff

It is not just the tryptophan. Drying the amino acids causes some of them to become allergenic and degrade the protein content. Also there is not a lot of calcium which is protective. I have only seen one whey protein that doesn't contain gums as well.

nwo2012

cliff said:
It is not just the tryptophan. Drying the amino acids causes some of them to become allergenic and degrade the protein content. Also there is not a lot of calcium which is protective. I have only seen one whey protein that doesn't contain gums as well.

Completely. Except there are a few without gum. I still have a few tubs from my Mercola days. (not his brand though).
I use it as an additive to my home-made chicken-feed, wouldnt eat it myself.

Daimyo

badarmalik850 said:
post 108733 I really didn't the fact that there is not enough content of calcium in whey, what would you say if someone use whey protein and take high potency multivitamin to maintain the vitamin level in the body?

Hi, if you're starving and whey powder is your only protein source - sure, eat it, but if you are a grown adult, your requirements for tryptophan aren't that high. Tryptophan is a serotonin precursor, so it's not recommended to consume it too much. Taking multivitamins would be simply damage control, not something "healthy".

Last edited by a moderator:

allblues

According to this vendor their whey protein powder contains 1,4 / 100 g tryptophan.
The BCAAs total 18 / 100 g.

Is this still a "high" content of tryptophan, or am i missing something. I get the degrading of the proteins when drying thing,
but the tryptophan number seems fine, if it's correct.

I've been eating some organic, additive-free whey powder i had sitting around just with a spoon and it's delicious.
Going by taste i would think it's a good food.
If the tryptophan number is as low as the vendor says, what's wrong with whey?

cyclops

I'm thinking about getting some Whey Protein as I've been doing some bodybuilding and need more easy protein for cheap and can't handle too much milk.

I think if you really need the extra protein for bodybuilding or something its ok. Of course, there is that $100 tub of Casein Protein on the market but at such a low price it makes me think they must be skimping on the quality.

Last edited:

Palpatine

I've been thinking about getting some whey protein as well... wasn't aware of the tryptophan concern.

Is Casein Protein better with that regard?

I see the Naked Casein on Amazon for $95 (for 5lbs.)... Tryptopan is 327 mg per serving. Is this good/bad?
@cyclops , is this the one you say is "such a low price"?

Looks like the regular Naked Whey Protein has 462 mg. of Tryptophan per serving...

Is there a good grass-fed organic whey protein that someone can recommend?

cyclops

I see the Naked Casein on Amazon for $95 (for 5lbs.)... Tryptopan is 327 mg per serving. Is this good/bad?

Yea man, that's the one, they must be part charity or something.

I think Casein would be recommended by Peat over Whey; it's more like cheese. I think Milk is like 20% whey and 80% Casein. To make cheese they get rid of the Whey. So Whey is just like the stuff leftover after making cheese. Peat would say you could keep that, give me the gouda.

Last edited:

Palpatine

Yea man, that's the one, they must be part charity or something.

I think Casein would be more recommended by Peat then Whey; it's more like cheese. I think Milk is like 20% whey and 80% Casein. To make cheese they get rid of the Whey. So Whey is like the stuff leftover after making cheese. Peat would say you could keep that, give me the gouda.
Thanks. Looking to increase protein intake for a while myself. Hopefully we'll get a good recommendation or I'm just gonna throw a dart at one of those Grass-Fed Organic Whey brands, make a purchase, and probably mix with some Zint Gelatin in my coffee in the morning and see how that goes.

cyclops

Thanks. Looking to increase protein intake for a while myself. Hopefully we'll get a good recommendation or I'm just gonna throw a dart at one of those Grass-Fed Organic Whey brands, make a purchase, and probably mix with some Zint Gelatin in my coffee in the morning and see how that goes.

That sounds like a good plan; try to find one without any crazy fillers, gums, additives, etc.

Dave Clark

A good whey product out there is called Action Whey by Emerald Essentials. It is made from raw organic grass-fed cattle. Not the cheapest by far, but a quality product non the less. Worth a look if you're into whey.

Aaron

I've been using the world's cheapest whey protein concentrate for over a year now in 60g servings daily. It's $4/pound in the bulk bins. In addition to my other primary protein sources (milk, Greek yogurt, eggs, cheese, gelatin - I'm too lazy to eat meat every day), it has helped me gain a lot of muscle and it seems to help with digestion too. Taken right before or right after lifting, it gives me massive, steroid-like pumps (I am pushing the natty limits in terms of lean mass). It's also a valuable glutathione booster. If you're already getting tons of casein from milk, cheese, and Greek yogurt and you want to build muscle, I think whey is a decent addition. However, red meat would still be better.

Last edited:

smith

What's it called?
I've been using the world's cheapest whey protein concentrate for over a year now in 60g servings daily. It's $4/pound in the bulk bins. In addition to my other primary protein sources (milk, Greek yogurt, eggs, cheese, gelatin - I'm too lazy to eat meat every day), it has helped me gain a lot of muscle and it seems to help with digestion too. Taken right before or right after lifting, it gives me massive, steroid-like pumps (I am pushing the natty limits in terms of lean mass). It's also a valuable glutathione booster. If you're already getting tons of casein from milk, cheese, and Greek yogurt and you want to build muscle, I think whey is a decent addition. However, red meat would still be better.

Aaron

What's it called?

Just the WinCo generic bulk stuff. It depends on your budget but I trust WinCo's generics for the most part and it seems much cleaner than standard flavored whey, although it smells a little funky when stored in a tight-fitting container and tastes mediocre. The guy who said he ate unflavored whey powder with a spoon and thought it tasted good is an alien to me.

I would not really recommend a casein powder due to issues with oxidation products, quality issues, taste, digestibility, etc. Just eat Greek yogurt or cheese. It's cheaper anyway. Whey is unique in that it's the higher antioxidant component of dairy and many dairy products tend to exclude it.

Last edited:

smith

Just the WinCo generic bulk stuff.
oh I see, thanks.
I would not really recommend a casein powder due to issues with oxidation products, quality issues, taste, digestibility, etc. Just eat Greek yogurt or cheese. It's cheaper anyway. Whey is unique in that it's the higher antioxidant component of dairy and many dairy products tend to exclude it.
Interesting, I thought I heard Peat and his followers say the exact opposite; that whey has more problems than casein

Arnold Grape

I've been thinking about getting some whey protein as well... wasn't aware of the tryptophan concern.

Is Casein Protein better with that regard?

Looks like the regular Naked Whey Protein has 462 mg. of Tryptophan per serving...

Is there a good grass-fed organic whey protein that someone can recommend?
Naked has a 1 lb container now if you wanted to try it. (I think it's like $27.) My only complaint is it does not mix super good, but I'm not sure if all Casein is like that?