Where are humans meant to live?

TheAnarchist

Forum Supporter
Eastern Pennsylvania (Lehigh Valley Area)
Where are humans meant to live? What are the ideal weather conditions, temperatures, levels of light, Elevation etc? Extreme conditions especially cold can be metabolically stressful for instance. Does anyone know if Ray has said anything about ideal living places?

Ficini

Ray Peat favors high altitude, sunny and somewhat dry weather. This seems to be consistent with the idea that humans evolved on the Ethiopian plateau, which is at an altitude of 2000-2700 meters close to the Equator. He also said that very hot humid weather of the tropics slow metabolism.

This is also my experience. I lived for many years at the tropics and my metabolism was very slow. I prefer moderate high altitude, 2000 meters at the tropics. The weather there is endless spring.

Phaedrus

Ray Peat favors high altitude, sunny and somewhat dry weather. This seems to be consistent with the idea that humans evolved on the Ethiopian plateau, which is at an altitude of 2000-2700 meters close to the Equator. He also said that very hot humid weather of the tropics slow metabolism.

This is also my experience. I lived for many years at the tropics and my metabolism was very slow. I prefer moderate high altitude, 2000 meters at the tropics. The weather there is endless spring.
I agree, I have heard Peat say that you likely won’t start to see benefits of altitude until you’re at least around 6 or 7,000 feet so 2000 meters sounds right as an ideal minimum. And yes, warm and dry. If you live at sea level, it’s generally still going to be better for your metabolism living in a Mediterranean climate than a hot, humid place in the tropics. Peat and Danny Roddy both have an affinity for Mexico and live there either all year or seasonally. I think their preference for Mexico is due to specific regions like Michoacán, Guanajuato, and Jalisco where the altitude, climate, access to good food (especially fresh fruits), and laid back culture all contribute to a low stress environment.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Great thread. I tend to think rural areas seem better as well from my personal experience. I loathe going into the city where people are on top of each other. It feels very unnatural.

Ficini

I agree, I have heard Peat say that you likely won’t start to see benefits of altitude until you’re at least around 6 or 7,000 feet so 2000 meters sounds right as an ideal minimum. And yes, warm and dry. If you live at sea level, it’s generally still going to be better for your metabolism living in a Mediterranean climate than a hot, humid place in the tropics. Peat and Danny Roddy both have an affinity for Mexico and live there either all year or seasonally. I think their preference for Mexico is due to specific regions like Michoacán, Guanajuato, and Jalisco where the altitude, climate, access to good food (especially fresh fruits), and laid back culture all contribute to a low stress environment.
I lived for 6 months in central Mexico at altitudes of around 2000-2300 meters (Guanajuato, Queretaro, Tlaxcala, DF, and so on). It was great; the fruits and coffee were excellent, and I really loved the culture and the polite people. Unfortunately, the dairy was terrible, milk and local cheeses had vitamins, minerals and other shitty ingredients. Masa harina was always enriched with lots of iron, which means the tortillas were too, and while I was there, it was official that the glass bottled Coca Cola was no longer the original one.

Wish I can find a place at high altitude where I have great quality dairy (like that from my country Romania or at least Bulgarian or Turkish one :) ), but I guess one can not have it all :)

peatpilled

I lived for 6 months in central Mexico at altitudes of around 2000-2300 meters (Guanajuato, Queretaro, Tlaxcala, DF, and so on). It was great; the fruits and coffee were excellent, and I really loved the culture and the polite people. Unfortunately, the dairy was terrible, milk and local cheeses had vitamins, minerals and other shitty ingredients. Masa harina was always enriched with lots of iron, which means the tortillas were too, and while I was there, it was official that the glass bottled Coca Cola was no longer the original one.

Wish I can find a place at high altitude where I have great quality dairy (like that from my country Romania or at least Bulgarian or Turkish one :) ), but I guess one can not have it all :)
I believe san cristobal has pretty decent dairy. As more people from the states and other western countries move to mexico hopefully the dairy will follow.

Supply should always follow demand.

Perry Staltic

The Garden of Eden. Unfortunately that didn't work out too well.

Last edited:

Phaedrus

I’ve heard the people of Azerbaijan are famous for their longevity which in part could be attributed to their high dairy consumption which, like some Balkan countries and Turkey as you mentioned, is staple of the diet. I’d assume they have high quality milk products from cows, goats, and/or sheep. I also believe there are mountainous areas with fairly high elevation. Not sure about climate though. I would guess the same attributes might apply to Georgia and Armenia except the geopolitical issues there are concerning.

Ficini

I’ve heard the people of Azerbaijan are famous for their longevity which in part could be attributed to their high dairy consumption which, like some Balkan countries and Turkey as you mentioned, is staple of the diet. I’d assume they have high quality milk products from cows, goats, and/or sheep. I also believe there are mountainous areas with fairly high elevation. Not sure about climate though. I would guess the same attributes might apply to Georgia and Armenia except the geopolitical issues there are concerning.
Indeed, Azerbaijan is on my list (Georgia and Armenia as well). They have good food and high altitude, but they have a harsh winter, so it is nice only during the summer. In Romania, you can live at 1600 meters, but once September comes, almost everybody, especially elders, is moving to lower cities like 700-900 meters high.

It is the same in Azerbaijan, only they are a bit closer to the equator 40th parallel north (Romania being at 45 parallel). In Khinaliq village Azerbaijan (2000 meters high) starting from October it is 8 Celsius at noon and 0C during the night, while in December it doesn’t go above 0C.

Phaedrus

Indeed, Azerbaijan is on my list (Georgia and Armenia as well). They have good food and high altitude, but they have a harsh winter, so it is nice only during the summer. In Romania, you can live at 1600 meters, but once September comes, almost everybody, especially elders, is moving to lower cities like 700-900 meters high.

It is the same in Azerbaijan, only they are a bit closer to the equator 40th parallel north (Romania being at 45 parallel). In Khinaliq village Azerbaijan (2000 meters high) starting from October it is 8 Celsius at noon and 0C during the night, while in December it doesn’t go above 0C.
Interesting! If you don’t mind me asking, do you have the option to work anywhere there’s Internet? Would the language barrier in a place like Azerbaijan be a concern for you?

In the US where I live, there are places in the Rocky Mountains that check a lot of boxes regarding altitude and climate - parts of northern Arizona and New Mexico, as well as parts of Utah, Colorado, Idaho, and Montana. However many of these places are facing growing populations (and a growing cost of living) along with fresh water scarcity so there are downsides.

Ficini

Interesting! If you don’t mind me asking, do you have the option to work anywhere there’s Internet? Would the language barrier in a place like Azerbaijan be a concern for you?

In the US where I live, there are places in the Rocky Mountains that check a lot of boxes regarding altitude and climate - parts of northern Arizona and New Mexico, as well as parts of Utah, Colorado, Idaho, and Montana. However many of these places are facing growing populations (and a growing cost of living) along with fresh water scarcity so there are downsides.
Yes, I can work anywhere there is internet, also I don’t need fantastic speed. I don’t mind the language barrier. It was great in Mexico, because I understand almost everything in Spanish, but as I don’t intend to have a philosophical discussion with the locals, I guess I can quickly learn the useful words in Azerbaijani or in Russian.

I am aware of the US areas you mentioned, but I guess many people are trying to leave the USA now. If I were an American, I’d probably be already in Mexico.

Phaedrus

Yes, I can work anywhere there is internet, also I don’t need fantastic speed. I don’t mind the language barrier. It was great in Mexico, because I understand almost everything in Spanish, but as I don’t intend to have a philosophical discussion with the locals, I guess I can quickly learn the useful words in Azerbaijani or in Russian.

I am aware of the US areas you mentioned, but I guess many people are trying to leave the USA now. If I were an American, I’d probably be already in Mexico.
Cool! I (and I’m sure other people on the forum) would love to hear an update if and when you move to Azerbaijani or somewhere similar to get your impressions of the place.

I think the idea that there’s this exodus of people leaving the US has been greatly overblown by some people on this forum. Since the pandemic, many people have definitely fled big cities and moved to more rural areas in the US. But with current geopolitical conflicts in Europe and Asia, the US isn’t looking so bad in some ways. It is more food and energy independent than Europe especially, so more resistant to grain and gas shortages due to the Russia-Ukraine conflict. Abundant fresh water resources in many areas, not counting some of the western states I mentioned earlier. Most of my complaints are about toxic aspects of US culture which are easier to tune out if like me you don’t use social media and you have easy access to enjoy remote wilderness areas. I love Mexico and visit there almost every winter - so moving there has definitely crossed my mind - but I do value my proximity to family and friends where I currently live.

JamesGatz

CITIES ARE THE WORST - YOU CAN'T DO WORSE THAN THAT

BRO ITS CRAZY OUT HERE - Whenever I'm in a rural area, or the park, everyone IS SO NICE - they have MANNERS - girls have more open standards, NO ONE judges you, I can't wait to move to a rural area - rural areas may be less populated but ITS WAY EASIER to meet people because everyone is healthy

IRONICALLY - cities with the biggest populations are the HARDEST to be social in and the MOST STRESSED and its difficult to even pursue social circles or relationships because EVERYONE IS DISTRUSTING OF EACH OTHER and THEY ARE NOT OPEN to meeting new people

If I ever state a DOOMER POST on this forum, Ignore it because I SWEAR I only make DOOMER posts when I'm on this trash city, when I'm at the park or a rural area I immediately regret saying ANYTHING NEGATIVE MAN

I GOT TO MOVE TO A DIFFERENT AREA TO CHANGE MY NEGATIVE ENERGY MAN

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals