Where Are All The Peat Foods On Cronometer?

RePeatRePeat

I thought after reading on the forum how many members log their intake on Cronometer that I could easily find in the search bar certain foods so many of us eat. But when I looked for eggshell calcium to add to my diary, it was not listed. And how about OJ not from concentrate? I thought I would see some of the name brands that are okay on Toxinless. Uncle Matt's anyone? Good chocolates? Morton Canning and Pickling Salt?

I know I can add new foods but figured many would already be there. Mexican Coke was! :partypooper:

Am I missing something?

Peater Piper

"Orange juice, fresh/raw" should work for OJ. You're not going to get a lot of info for name brand foods, unfortunately. It's more for produce/dairy/meat in general.

OP
RePeatRePeat

RePeatRePeat

Thanks Peater. I will have to be more patient and also recognize it's not going to be accurate. It will give me a general picture, though.

schultz

Yah it'll never be completely accurate. On the plus side, if you're inputting the basic milk and OJ but you're actually sourcing higher quality ones, you may be getting more nutrients than you think.

For things like "eggshell calcium" you'll have to create it yourself. I think by weight egg shell is 40% calcium. Currently I'm not cronometering because I think I got addicted to it (I would get irritated if I wasn't doing it so I had to force myself to stop because obviously that's not healthy lol...), but I would put in a lot of custom foods if I felt the data listed was inadequate or outdated. For example, the coffee options they have listed are not up to date, so I went through articles on pubmed where they analyzed coffee and came up with an average based on those. I also own my own chickens and felt like the cronometer eggs sucked so I did a massive amount of research trying to figure out how much nutrients my eggs would have with a certain diet. It sounds obsessive, but I was just doing it for fun. I'd try and figure out how high you can get the vitamin A, or D or K2, in an egg or how low you can get the PUFA based off studies. FYI: If you put in something like "2 fried eggs" it assumes you fried them in some vegetable oil and adds PUFA. If you cook eggs in coconut oil, just add "hard boiled eggs" and you can add the coconut oil separately if you want to be so anal. Also, don't always trust that all the nutrients will be put into some of the specialty foods. Like if you found an "Uncle Matt's" orange juice, it might not actually have all the data it should like some of the micro nutrients. Sometimes these specific items only have what was on the label of the product and they leave out the rest. It's really annoying.

If you want to be accurate and fast, buy a digital scale and input everything in grams. Sounds annoying weighing your food but to me it's more annoying to do the cronometer and not be accurate. My feeling is, if you're going to bother doing it, be as accurate as possible.

L

lollipop

I used Cronometer and now I use My Fitness Pal. It is super easy to find foods and you can scan the bar code. I can be very precise. Downside of My Fitness Pal? Micros are not all there. If macros and convenience are enough it will work fine. If health is not good and micros counting matters, Cronometer is better.

OP
RePeatRePeat

RePeatRePeat

Thank you, @schultz and @lisaferraro for the great tips! Now I feel I will get more out of my food charting. I agree that if I am going to take the time to chart my food, I want it to be easy-ish and accurate!