When You Die ‘you KNOW You’re Dead Because Your Brain Keeps Working’

Vinny

“New research says when we die we know we are dead because our brains keep working and remain aware of what’s happening.”

Scientist Says When We Die Our Brains Know We are Dead
Well... uhm... if scientists had created life, sure it would be true.

But, even so, not too bad. One would at least had some seconds to confess: -Forgive me, Lord! - before end up in front of Him!

Gone Peating

I don't see how this is controversial, I thought it was well known the brain can continue to function for a few minutes even after the heart stops beating and your body "dies"

I wonder how aware one would really be, since with the restricted bloodflow, I'd imagine thinking would be much harder than usual.

tankasnowgod

“New research says when we die we know we are dead because our brains keep working and remain aware of what’s happening.”

Scientist Says When We Die Our Brains Know We are Dead

The article defines "time of death" by when the heart stops beating. But after getting familiar with Andrew Fletcher's work, it's not the heart that's the primary driver of circulation, it's gravity. If a person could still get the benefits of circulation from gravity, say by lying inclined, actual death could be delayed many minutes. If chest compression were also applied in this position (to the beat of "Staying Alive"), it could possibly be stretched even longer.

Clearly, heart failure is a critical time and near the event of death, but there is plenty of evidence now that the failure itself is not death.

Hugh Johnson

That is just one of those desperate attempts to explain away NDEs . It's ridiculous, because those people have verifiable information they could not have gained via their senses. Not that their senses could work without bloodfow.

The article defines "time of death" by when the heart stops beating. But after getting familiar with Andrew Fletcher's work, it's not the heart that's the primary driver of circulation, it's gravity. If a person could still get the benefits of circulation from gravity, say by lying inclined, actual death could be delayed many minutes. If chest compression were also applied in this position (to the beat of "Staying Alive"), it could possibly be stretched even longer.

Clearly, heart failure is a critical time and near the event of death, but there is plenty of evidence now that the failure itself is not death.
Interesting!

yerrag

I wonder if the some of the senses are heightened during this time. Or maybe not the senses but the extrasensory perception.

InChristAlone

I think the brain is very good at protecting us from serious trauma such as becoming frozen and not feeling much of anything but almost as if you are watching what is happening to you. Like when a lion is dragging someone to their demise. I imagine after death even if the brain is still alive your soul your mind whatever you want to call it is not going to be sticking around to experience that.

Nokoni

it's gravity
Drop a hydrophilic tube in water, add infrared light (the source of energy), and water flow spontaneously arises through the tube. H3O2 water forms on the hydrophilic surface, which causes the remaining bulk water in the tube to become protonated. The protons then repel each other, and flow results. Arteries are hydrophilic tubes, blood is mostly water, and infrared is ubiquitous, and that is probably the main factor promoting circulation. Gravity may well play a role too, as it certainly seems to do in the alimentary canal and the urinary tract, but the electric force is 10^36 or so more powerful than gravity. (The phenomenon of spontaneous flow in a hydrophilic tube was discovered by Gerald Pollack, and he demonstrates it at about 29:00 here.)

tankasnowgod

Drop a hydrophilic tube in water, add infrared light (the source of energy), and water flow spontaneously arises through the tube. H3O2 water forms on the hydrophilic surface, which causes the remaining bulk water in the tube to become protonated. The protons then repel each other, and flow results. Arteries are hydrophilic tubes, blood is mostly water, and infrared is ubiquitous, and that is probably the main factor promoting circulation. Gravity may well play a role too, as it certainly seems to do in the alimentary canal and the urinary tract, but the electric force is 10^36 or so more powerful than gravity. (The phenomenon of spontaneous flow in a hydrophilic tube was discovered by Gerald Pollack, and he demonstrates it at about 29:00 here.)

Well, that's an interesting theory. Has this hydrophilic flow ever been demonstrated to heppen vertically, as opposed to horizontally? Does it flow upwards? Can it raise water up to five or six feet?

Andrew Fletcher demonstrated that circulation can occur up to 24 meters without any sort of pump or special tubing, simply from gravity, density changes, and molecular drag-

pepsi

I think the brain is very good at protecting us from serious trauma such as becoming frozen and not feeling much of anything but almost as if you are watching what is happening to you. Like when a lion is dragging someone to their demise. I imagine after death even if the brain is still alive your soul your mind whatever you want to call it is not going to be sticking around to experience that.

Yes I think thats true, I watched a show about people being beaten almost to
death and one of the victims said to the family members to take comfort in knowing
that she didnt feel a lot of pain and it was almost like she was out of her body,
very amazing how the brain protects us.

OP
Mito

Mito

Parnia’s study claims that survivors of cardiac arrest were aware of what was happening around them when their hearts had stopped beating and could describe their surroundings accurately later.

“They’ll describe watching doctors and nurses working; they’ll describe having awareness of full conversations, of visual things that were going on, that would otherwise not be known to them,” he explained. Those recollections were verified by nursing and medical staff who were there when the person died.

Of about 2,060 cardiac arrest events, 140 survivors were interviewed. Forty-six percent “had memories with 7 major cognitive themes: fear; animals/plants; bright light; violence/persecution; deja-vu; family; recalling events post-[cariac arrest],” the abstract reads. About 9 percent had near-death experiences, and 2 percent “described awareness with explicit recall of ‘seeing’ and ‘hearing’ actual events related to their resuscitation. One had a verifiable period of conscious awareness during which time cerebral function was not expected.”

InChristAlone

Parnia’s study claims that survivors of cardiac arrest were aware of what was happening around them when their hearts had stopped beating and could describe their surroundings accurately later.

“They’ll describe watching doctors and nurses working; they’ll describe having awareness of full conversations, of visual things that were going on, that would otherwise not be known to them,” he explained. Those recollections were verified by nursing and medical staff who were there when the person died.

Of about 2,060 cardiac arrest events, 140 survivors were interviewed. Forty-six percent “had memories with 7 major cognitive themes: fear; animals/plants; bright light; violence/persecution; deja-vu; family; recalling events post-[cariac arrest],” the abstract reads. About 9 percent had near-death experiences, and 2 percent “described awareness with explicit recall of ‘seeing’ and ‘hearing’ actual events related to their resuscitation. One had a verifiable period of conscious awareness during which time cerebral function was not expected.”
Yes your brain could very well be alive and functioning but we go into a state of derealization. Some people still have this after serious trauma as they have not processed the event, so they can still feel like they aren't really in their body. It explains NDE's- you can still hear what is being said all around you, but not feeling any of the actual pain and suffering of whats happening in the physical realm.

Nokoni

Andrew Fletcher demonstrated that circulation can occur up to 24 meters without any sort of pump or special tubing, simply from gravity, density changes, and molecular drag-
Yes I'm familiar with Fletcher's work. I saw that video and whatever else I could find about it when I ran across it some years ago. Even had the whole family sleeping in slanted beds for a while.
Well, that's an interesting theory. Has this hydrophilic flow ever been demonstrated to heppen vertically, as opposed to horizontally? Does it flow upwards? Can it raise water up to five or six feet?
Haven't seen it demonstrated (that I can recall) but I feel very confident it could be. Gravity is completely negligible compared to electric forces. A tiny magnet can easily overcome the gravitational force of the mass of the entire earth when picking up a paperclip. But then I also believe that the build up of positive charge in the center of Saturn caused it to burp out Venus, which is hugely "uphill" against the gravitational forces acting between them, so you would be comfortably in the majority of those who would consider me a lunatic :) But either way it's safe to say that 10^37 is a lot.

tankasnowgod

Haven't seen it demonstrated (that I can recall) but I feel very confident it could be. Gravity is completely negligible compared to electric forces.

Being confident that it could happen is not the same thing as actually demonstrating it. I think it would need to be demonstrated to occur vertically, and also that veins and arteries have hydrophillic and/or phobic parts.

A tiny magnet can easily overcome the gravitational force of the mass of the entire earth when picking up a paperclip.

Not true. The Earth's gravity is still acting on both. A tiny magnet does not shoot a paperclip out of the Earth's atmosphere. It can move a tiny amount of metal a few centimeters within that gravitational field seemingly against the main pull of that field, a field which extends hundreds of thousands of miles.

But then I also believe that the build up of positive charge in the center of Saturn caused it to burp out Venus, which is hugely "uphill" against the gravitational forces acting between them, so you would be comfortably in the majority of those who would consider me a lunatic :) But either way it's safe to say that 10^37 is a lot.

Well, I don't know what the possibility of a planet expelling another planet has to do with circulation of plants and animals that have all spent their entire lives, for hundreds/thousands/millions (or more) of generations, within the gravitational pull of a single planet (yes, even astronauts that went to the space station or the moon).

As for a force simply being more powerful, I don't think that's much of an argument. A jackhammer generates more power than a hand held hammer, but that doesn't mean a jackhammer is better at driving a nail into drywall.

Nokoni

Being confident that it could happen is not the same thing as actually demonstrating it. I think it would need to be demonstrated to occur vertically, and also that veins and arteries have hydrophillic and/or phobic parts.

Not true. The Earth's gravity is still acting on both. A tiny magnet does not shoot a paperclip out of the Earth's atmosphere. It can move a tiny amount of metal a few centimeters within that gravitational field seemingly against the main pull of that field, a field which extends hundreds of thousands of miles.

Well, I don't know what the possibility of a planet expelling another planet has to do with circulation of plants and animals that have all spent their entire lives, for hundreds/thousands/millions (or more) of generations, within the gravitational pull of a single planet (yes, even astronauts that went to the space station or the moon).

As for a force simply being more powerful, I don't think that's much of an argument. A jackhammer generates more power than a hand held hammer, but that doesn't mean a jackhammer is better at driving a nail into drywall.
Cheers mate :)

rei

That is just one of those desperate attempts to explain away NDEs . It's ridiculous, because those people have verifiable information they could not have gained via their senses. Not that their senses could work without bloodfow.
I don't think so because the NDE evidence has been based on brainwaves as it is much more definite than heartbeat.

Hugh Johnson

I don't think so because the NDE evidence has been based on brainwaves as it is much more definite than heartbeat.
So? NDE evidence is actually based on people coming back with verifiable information about the physical world, consistency between their stories and the seemingly miraculous recoveries some have.