"When too little protein, or the wrong kind of protein..."

charlie

The Law & Order Admin
Ray Peat said:
When too little protein, or the wrong kind of protein, is eaten, there is a stress reaction, with thyroid suppression. Many of the people who don't respond to a thyroid supplement are simply not eating enough good protein.

Nick810

Re: "When too little protein, or the wrong kind of protein..

Trying to up the protein.... without eating masses of fat or red meat... tricky process for sure. Always gelatin... but that's boring and not "real food"

charlie

The Law & Order Admin

Homemade cheese is good, also bone broth, milk.

cliff

chicharones make a good easy protein source.

Nick810

Any clean ones to buy online cliff?

cliff

I get them from the 99 cents store, ray said missions are a good brand

charlie

The Law & Order Admin

Are these from pork?

Nick810

Literally the only brand Amazon don't have :(

charlie

The Law & Order Admin

I guess PUFA's aren't a concern here?

Nick810

Going to have to hunt these down for sure.

charlie

The Law & Order Admin

Ditto that.

charlie

The Law & Order Admin

I found this on the Mission Food site, bold is mine:

Mission said:
Does Mission Foods use Monosodium Glutamate (MSG) in their products?

There is MSG in the following products: nacho cheese sauce, wraps, pork rinds, tronaditas and guacamole dip. You may find the detail ingredients by product in the Nutrition Information page.

cliff

They are probably talking about the flavored ones. No MSG on the ingredients for plain; just pork skins and salt.

nwo2012

Is this the same as pork cracklings? Trying to find it in Oz, but I guess I can make my own. I remember eating occasionally as a kid. Quite yummy!

charlie

The Law & Order Admin

I couldnt find Mission brand around here. Only have "Ole", "Macs", and "Randolf", or was it "Rudolph"? Well, anyways, no Mission brand. Bummer.

Hey Cliff, are these fried in coconut oil? I could not find any information on what they fry them in.

charlie

The Law & Order Admin

nwo2012 said:
Is this the same as pork cracklings? Trying to find it in Oz, but I guess I can make my own. I remember eating occasionally as a kid. Quite yummy!

nwo, I found this on the Macs Snack website:

Mac's Snack said:
Pork cracklins are another favorite with a hearty crunch and distinct bacon flavor. Similar to pork skins, they are produced from pellets, which are cooked pork skins. However, cracklin pellets are unmistakable in the fact that they are made from thicker and meatier raw material. By virtue of the fact they are popped from a denser pellet they are more substantial than pork rinds with a decisively robust crunch & flavor. Pork cracklins are a great addition to your deli section or meat department and can be packaged on deli trays or in bags to your choosing. Plain cracklins can be added to corn bread mixtures, stews and casseroles. Because this product is hard it retains consistency when cooked. A cracklin is soft when it breaks apart when squeezed between two fingers. The majority of competing cracklin products on the market are soft cracklins.

All the ones I found only had the two ingredients to. Pork skins and salt. They dont say what kind of oil they fry it in though. I just fired an email off to Mac's Snacks to see what oil they use.

charlie

The Law & Order Admin

Well, I was able to find on Mac's Snacks website the oil they use. Lard.

Mac's Snacks said:
We use only fresh oil for the processing of our products, eliminating free fatty acid and peroxide issues which our competitors do not address with their processes. Mac's will only use fresh pork lard for frying our products. This is paramount in the frying of pork skins. Fresh oil guarantees maximum shelf life, superior flavor, and superior color of the finished goods. Once the oil has been used for frying, the used oil is discarded into waste tanks. This guarantees that no used oil can be used for future frying.