When People Engage In A Conversation Their Brains Synchronize

haidut

Forum Supporter
I think pretty much everybody here is familiar with the expression "to vibe" (or not) "with somebody". While the expression is meant as a more general metric of the coherence of the interaction between the people involved, this new study shows that there is an actual synchronization of the brain waves emitted by the two people involved in a conversation. The study claims that the brains simply use the words of the conversants as cues in order to synchronize themselves. However, I think this is a premature conclusion as there could also be direct brain-to-brain electromagnetic interaction that leads to the synchronization. Hopefully, further research involving non-verbal interaction will be done. I would also like to see a study comparing the synchronization status of people who are "engaged" in the communication vs. people who simply pretend to be listening or participating in the dialogue. I bet that the brains of the latter would not be synchronized much along the lines of the expression "to not vibe with somebody".

Brain-to-brain entrainment: EEG interbrain synchronization while speaking and listening
Our brains synchronise during a conversation

"...The rhythms of brainwaves between two people taking part in a conversation begin to match each other. This is the conclusion of a study published in the magazine ‘Scientific Reports’, led by the Basque research centre BCBL. According to scientists, this interbrain synchrony may be a key factor in understanding language and interpersonal communication. Something as simple as an everyday conversation causes the brains of the participants to begin to work simultaneously. This is the conclusion of a study carried out by the Basque Centre on Cognition, Brain, and Language (BCBL), recently published in the magazine ‘Scientific Reports’. Until now, most traditional research had suggested the hypothesis that the brain "synchronises" according to what is heard, and correspondingly adjusts its rhythms to auditory stimuli. Now, the experts from this Donostia-based research centre have gone a step further and simultaneously analysed the complex neuronal activity of two strangers who hold a dialogue for the first time. The team, led by Alejandro Pérez, Manuel Carreiras and Jon Andoni Duñabeitia, has confirmed ‑by recording cerebral electrical activity– that the neuronal activity of two people involved in an act of communication "synchronise" in order to allow for a "connection" between both subjects."

"It involves interbrain communion that goes beyond language itself and may constitute a key factor in interpersonal relations and the understanding of language,” Jon Andoni Duñabeitia explains to SINC. Thus, the rhythms of the brainwaves corresponding to the speaker and the listener adjust according to the physical properties of the sound of the verbal messages expressed in a conversation. This creates a connection between the two brains, which begin to work together towards a common goal: communication."

Wagner83

Do you think telepathy is possible? Not necessarily words, but sharing images etc..

L

lollipop

Yes. Remember the US govt sponsored remote viewing experiments that got crazy results from strict methodologies? Russell Targ led those studies:

Owen B

I think pretty much everybody here is familiar with the expression "to vibe" (or not) "with somebody". While the expression is meant as a more general metric of the coherence of the interaction between the people involved, this new study shows that there is an actual synchronization of the brain waves emitted by the two people involved in a conversation. The study claims that the brains simply use the words of the conversants as cues in order to synchronize themselves. However, I think this is a premature conclusion as there could also be direct brain-to-brain electromagnetic interaction that leads to the synchronization. Hopefully, further research involving non-verbal interaction will be done. I would also like to see a study comparing the synchronization status of people who are "engaged" in the communication vs. people who simply pretend to be listening or participating in the dialogue. I bet that the brains of the latter would not be synchronized much along the lines of the expression "to not vibe with somebody".

Brain-to-brain entrainment: EEG interbrain synchronization while speaking and listening
Our brains synchronise during a conversation

"...The rhythms of brainwaves between two people taking part in a conversation begin to match each other. This is the conclusion of a study published in the magazine ‘Scientific Reports’, led by the Basque research centre BCBL. According to scientists, this interbrain synchrony may be a key factor in understanding language and interpersonal communication. Something as simple as an everyday conversation causes the brains of the participants to begin to work simultaneously. This is the conclusion of a study carried out by the Basque Centre on Cognition, Brain, and Language (BCBL), recently published in the magazine ‘Scientific Reports’. Until now, most traditional research had suggested the hypothesis that the brain "synchronises" according to what is heard, and correspondingly adjusts its rhythms to auditory stimuli. Now, the experts from this Donostia-based research centre have gone a step further and simultaneously analysed the complex neuronal activity of two strangers who hold a dialogue for the first time. The team, led by Alejandro Pérez, Manuel Carreiras and Jon Andoni Duñabeitia, has confirmed ‑by recording cerebral electrical activity– that the neuronal activity of two people involved in an act of communication "synchronise" in order to allow for a "connection" between both subjects."

"It involves interbrain communion that goes beyond language itself and may constitute a key factor in interpersonal relations and the understanding of language,” Jon Andoni Duñabeitia explains to SINC. Thus, the rhythms of the brainwaves corresponding to the speaker and the listener adjust according to the physical properties of the sound of the verbal messages expressed in a conversation. This creates a connection between the two brains, which begin to work together towards a common goal: communication."
I have no doubt that such synchronization exists. But communication is dependent on what two people decide is meaningful. And two people, no matter how much they may being trying to synchronize, will always be in some kind of conflict. And the rules that govern the resolution of that conflict are a condition of many factors such as psychology, culture, society, aesthetics. In short, of a multitude of values. Those conditions are "invisible", implicit.

It is true that physical substrates of whatever kind are also a condition. But the words we use to describe what is going on in a physical substrate (brainwaves, hormones, genes) are not in those substrates. For instance, while brain function is important, one is not in the brain. Your brain is in you. The relationship between the physical substrate and the words that we use to describe them is non-linear.

You still have to make the background explicit. And to do that you need a practice of some kind, religious or spiritual practice, psychotherapy and especially some kind of dialogical method to bring the background into view.

The relationship between a master and slave is defined by a "common goal". And i have no doubt that their brainwaves synchronize. But they synchronize because they agree that their relationship is defined that way. What would it prove then to show brainwave synchronization?

A totalitarian society, by the way, is one in which everyone is highly synchronized. And I'm sure if one studied enough electroencephalograms it would be possible to find evidence of synchronization around the ruling idea of that society. One could, for that matter, read any value into that EEG you wanted to and use it to rationalize the "evidence" you found there. If you have enough power. And who controls the definitions controls the society.

And so then, brainwave science, genetics, endocrinology etc. would be in the service of ferreting out dissent.

And that's the troubling thing about this study. It assumes that everyone is basically the same, because they IDENTIFY themselves exclusively in a physicalist way. Therefore, no real conflicts exist or are even conceivable.

To believe that meaning is in the substrate is not science, it is scientism.

I have no doubt that such synchronization exists. But communication is dependent on what two people decide is meaningful. And two people, no matter how much they may being trying to synchronize, will always be in some kind of conflict. And the rules that govern the resolution of that conflict are a condition of many factors such as psychology, culture, society, aesthetics. In short, of a multitude of values. Those conditions are "invisible", implicit.

It is true that physical substrates of whatever kind are also a condition. But the words we use to describe what is going on in a physical substrate (brainwaves, hormones, genes) are not in those substrates. For instance, while brain function is important, one is not in the brain. Your brain is in you. The relationship between the physical substrate and the words that we use to describe them is non-linear.

You still have to make the background explicit. And to do that you need a practice of some kind, religious or spiritual practice, psychotherapy and especially some kind of dialogical method to bring the background into view.

The relationship between a master and slave is defined by a "common goal". And i have no doubt that their brainwaves synchronize. But they synchronize because they agree that their relationship is defined that way. What would it prove then to show brainwave synchronization?

A totalitarian society, by the way, is one in which everyone is highly synchronized. And I'm sure if one studied enough electroencephalograms it would be possible to find evidence of synchronization around the ruling idea of that society. One could, for that matter, read any value into that EEG you wanted to and use it to rationalize the "evidence" you found there. If you have enough power. And who controls the definitions controls the society.

And so then, brainwave science, genetics, endocrinology etc. would be in the service of ferreting out dissent.

And that's the troubling thing about this study. It assumes that everyone is basically the same, because they IDENTIFY themselves exclusively in a physicalist way. Therefore, no real conflicts exist or are even conceivable.

To believe that meaning is in the substrate is not science, it is scientism.
You guys really REALLY don't want humanity to get along

theLaw

Yes. Remember the US govt sponsored remote viewing experiments that got crazy results from strict methodologies? Russell Targ led those studies:

Unfortunately, many of these guys have been debunked with regards to Remote Viewing, and the studies surrounding them have all found no significant statistical results.

It appears that Remote Viewing was essentially just a re-branded version of psychic style fishing.

Also, Art Bell had several guys from/related to Project Stargate on over the years with public predictions, but no major revelations have come from any of these. Keep in mind that this includes 9/11, which all of them missed.

I always refer to Derren Brown with regards to psychic claims........

L

lollipop

Unfortunately, many of these guys have been debunked with regards to Remote Viewing, and the studies surrounding them have all found no significant statistical results.

It appears that Remote Viewing was essentially just a re-branded version of psychic style fishing.

Also, Art Bell had several guys from/related to Project Stargate on over the years with public predictions, but no major revelations have come from any of these. Keep in mind that this includes 9/11, which all of them missed.

I always refer to Derren Brown with regards to psychic claims........

You could be correct here @theLaw - I haven't followed up with any of that research. What looks interesting is some of the studies being done on precognition. Looks promising in my opinion.

theLaw

You could be correct here @theLaw - I haven't followed up with any of that research. What looks interesting is some of the studies being done on precognition. Looks promising in my opinion.

I would love nothing more than to believe that such skills exist, but the scientists are so easy to fool that I always have my doubts.

Having said that, before finding Peat, if you had told me that we already have cures for cancer, I wouldn't have believed it, so the world continues to surprise me.:D

L

lollipop

I would love nothing more than to believe that such skills exist, but the scientists are so easy to fool that I always have my doubts.

Having said that, before finding Peat, if you had told me that we already have cures for cancer, I wouldn't have believed it, so the world continues to surprise me.:D
:):

Queequeg

Scientists have also determined that they can transmit someones brainwaves acoustically from one person to another and the receiving person will end up with the same mood as the originating person. I would not be surprised if this was already done in commercials, to make us associate happiness with their products for example.

I am not sure if the Men Who Stare at Goats phenomena is real or not but I would not fully trust these new researchers who have supposedly "debunked" this stuff. I can see why the Government would want it back in the Area 57 world and are now paying scientists to cover it up. There is a lot weird stuff beyond the material IMO.

meatbag

After checking out that video, I wonder if you're familiar with Michael Persinger's work

some excerpts;

"7 Hz, a unique pattern, you don't find it very often. And the number of these patterns were directly related to how accurate he was. The more he showed that activity over the occipital (right hemisphere), the more accurate he was in terms of the information at a distance.
There's the ionosphere, and generated between the Earth's surface & the Ionosphere is a 7 Hz pattern, and the more you get close to that pattern, the more you seem to have access to everything around the Earth.
For Example that 7 Hz pattern not only has the same frequency as generated from the intrinsic aspect of your brain; and your brain has a natural frequency, guess what it is? 7 Hz... Based upon the fact that consciousness is recreated every 20 milliseconds, its moving at about 4.5 m/s, just do a simple calculation of the circumference of your brain, its 7 Hz.
And the intensities of both the magnetic and the electrical components for both the Earth and your brain are identical, capable of resonance."

"The photon emission of a person's brain, sitting in the dark, is about 10,000x less than the stars on a cloudy night. We can measure it using photo multipliers. However, it's 100x more intense than the energy from cosmic rays...
Now here's what happen. If we have a person in one room with a flashing light. A person in another room, completely in the dark, and they only share the magnetic field, a special kind of configuration magnetic field that produces a sense of consciousness, making both brains " the same" when there is no flash in the other room. Then if the person on the other side is seeing a flashing light, the person sitting in the dark, their brain also generates light, because their connected even at a distance."

"If you can imagine it, it can be done, and that's why; because the brain is matter, its based upon the physical principles of the universe. And you have the capacity to imagine it, that means you have the potential for it to be done. Because our brains are reflective of the essential aspects of the matter of the Universe."

Peat on Resonance of everyone and Persinger's work (thx raypeatclips!);

Last edited:

ivy

Scientists have also determined that they can transmit someones brainwaves acoustically from one person to another and the receiving person will end up with the same mood as the originating person. I would not be surprised if this was already done in commercials, to make us associate happiness with their products for example.

I am not sure if the Men Who Stare at Goats phenomena is real or not but I would not fully trust these new researchers who have supposedly "debunked" this stuff. I can see why the Government would want it back in the Area 57 world and are now paying scientists to cover it up. There is a lot weird stuff beyond the material IMO.

@Queequeg
Do you have any references for this mood contagion you talk about? I'm such an easy prey for that I'd sure like to see some evidence.

Queequeg

L

lollipop

After checking out that video, I wonder if you're familiar with Michael Persinger's work (he's going to be the on the back of a tiger movie)? I wonder if rather than "remote viewing" there is a picking up of what the others are thinking like Persinger talks about in this video, I think there would be more basis for that happening. Here's one of his most popular lectures;

some excerpts;

"7 Hz, a unique pattern, you don't find it very often. And the number of these patterns were directly related to how accurate he was. The more he showed that activity over the occipital (right hemisphere), the more accurate he was in terms of the information at a distance.
There's the ionosphere, and generated between the Earth's surface & the Ionosphere is a 7 Hz pattern, and the more you get close to that pattern, the more you seem to have access to everything around the Earth.
For Example that 7 Hz pattern not only has the same frequency as generated from the intrinsic aspect of your brain; and your brain has a natural frequency, guess what it is? 7 Hz... Based upon the fact that consciousness is recreated every 20 milliseconds, its moving at about 4.5 m/s, just do a simple calculation of the circumference of your brain, its 7 Hz.
And the intensities of both the magnetic and the electrical components for both the Earth and your brain are identical, capable of resonance."

"The photon emission of a person's brain, sitting in the dark, is about 10,000x less than the stars on a cloudy night. We can measure it using photo multipliers. However, it's 100x more intense than the energy from cosmic rays...
Now here's what happen. If we have a person in one room with a flashing light. A person in another room, completely in the dark, and they only share the magnetic field, a special kind of configuration magnetic field that produces a sense of consciousness, making both brains " the same" when there is no flash in the other room. Then if the person on the other side is seeing a flashing light, the person sitting in the dark, their brain also generates light, because their connected even at a distance."

"There's not just action potentials of the neurons firing, there's actually photons being emitted within your brain, actual photons... and we can actually measure them. The minute you have photons :crazy:, you have access to almost everything."

"If you can imagine it, it can be done, and that's why; because the brain is matter, its based upon the physical principles of the universe. And you have the capacity to imagine it, that means you have the potential for it to be done. Because our brains are reflective of the essential aspects of the matter of the Universe."

Peat on Resonance of everyone and Persinger's work (thx raypeatclips!);

Very cool stuff. And since haidut mentioned "to vibe" and Persinger discusses "Resonance" it reminded me of this video I was shown :couchpotato:;

@Meatbag VERY interesting. Thank you! Your post is going to be the subject of my day's inquiry :):

Nokoni

And since haidut mentioned "to vibe" and Persinger discusses "Resonance" it reminded me of this video I was shown :couchpotato:
Beautiful. That'll be incorporated into today's homeschool lessons :)

Rah

What are these cures for cancer

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Do you think telepathy is possible? Not necessarily words, but sharing images etc..

Yes, I think even direct telepathy is possible but I don't think we know yet how to engage in it on purpose. Peat said the same thing - i.e. when people are connected through space we call it telepathy and when they are connected through time we call it ancestral memory or speaking with the deceased. That latter part is really fascinating to me but he did not elaborate more.

bradley

In our interview with Persinger he measured one of the world's most accurate psychics (Sean Harribance) in the lab and observed that his brainwaves immediately sync with whomever he is "reading" in the room.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom