When “healthy” athleticism turns on you

Sefton10

Do you do any heavy work as well?
Not anymore, no. I just find the process of warming up to get to the working weight a faff and too time consuming. Coupled with the extra fatigue and injury risk it’s just not worth it to me now (I’m 41). Minimum effective dose!

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
What would you say are the right signals for hypertrophy? Would something like moderate amount of reps in each set + staying far enough from failure to avoid excess stress + decent amount of volume to make sure we are breaking muscle fibers sound like a decent strategy to you?
Proper form, controlled movement, mind to muscle connection and then the work. Work can be 1 set to failure using a weight and a resistance band to overload full range of motion or it can be multiple sets while leaving about 2-3 reps in the tank and then the last set being AMRAP-1 or something like that. Not everyone has to do the same kind of volume, but if you're doing an exercise properly and overloading/progressing each workout, then you're sending good signals.

76er

Thanks for the link.

About my rep range :

...with X3 (or any heavy resistance band) you don't put stress on your joints. And still gain strength and some muscle (depends mostly with your diet I think)
I'd say the 30 to 60 second window part is good as it helps as a guide in that you are doing "heavy" enough forces.

However, 15-40 reps at a 4 second rep cadence is 60 seconds at the low range (15 reps) and ~2½ minutes at the high range (40 reps).

Based on the evidence that is too light.

76er

Interesting...how does the X3 bar compare to similarly heavy barbell compound movements, for you?

Better in that I have a bar and I'm doing the movements using both arms, which
I'd argue (IMO) yields better results for both strength and hypertrophy.

However, I have no way of even giving an anecdotal account around results as I
haven't used barbells in many years.

76er

The best short, lowish-stress resistance workout I've ever done is this:

10 pullups
10 narrow grip pushups (keep elbows narrow on the way down, to work the triceps eccentrically)
9 pullups
9 pushups
8 pullups
8 pushups
7 pullups
7 pushups
6 pullups
6 pushups
5 pullups
5 pushups
4 pullups
4 pushups
3 pullups
3 pushups
2 pullups
2 pushups
1 pullup (hold for a while)
1 pushup (hold for a while)

For best results, do these at a playground in full sun while playing with your kids! You could also swap out the pushups for dips if your playground has parallel bars.
Very cool. Thanks for posting.

76er

re: X3 chest press bad ROM

I should clarify that the X3 chest press ROM is "OK" if you practice band
tightening (see here and here). OK meaning the best you can do with tightening
is getting the bar to be only 6" to 8" from your chest, which feels pretty good
with respect to pec activation.

One should have band clip(s) too as getting the band on and properly positioned
(when band is tightened) is a challenge without at least one clip. I recommend this belt
for band tightening as it is adjustable, strong, and won't come lose under heavy load.

Nimo

Yes, but doing prolonged cardio will enhance fat oxidation regardless, so at the end of the day you'll still be relying more on fat oxidation than glucose oxidation. The main point is that cardio shifts someone away from glucose oxidation and that reduces stress adaptivity. That's why cardio people have lots of inflammation and necrosis after training. These scar tissue remain for a long time.
But regardless if glucose is continually consumed during an exhaustive event, damage still occurs.
Ampk can be activated with hiit, no only with cardio or fasting. For example technique 8x8 biceps curl, 30sec rest, first set is easy but evey other one is harder and harder, Last one u hit failure, point is, how sets are going, body produce more amp whitch signal to ampk. 30 sec pause is low because u dont want muscles to get energy, atp, so u slowly deplete adp whitch produce amp. This exercise take u 4 minutes , full half body work only 30min. But great for ampk. Much more shredded, fuller muscles, better sleep, better glucose and fat oxidation, fat only when glucose is not avalible, (sllepp)

Malris

How frequently do you hear people associate fitness with health? Low heart rate, low body fat,...low testosterone...all signs of fitness.

Hans, it’s been a while since this thread was active, but I just found this post and article. Great work, as always!

Quick question - I’ve been trying to lose weight for a while, and I’ve done it. I exercise 4 times a week, calisthenics x2 and tae kwon do x2. I do some mobility work on the off days when I feel like it. So no cardio. I’ve lost 75 pounds, mostly through (the non-Peat) calorie restriction, but eating “Peaty” foods. my fingers and toes are still warm, and my temps are around 99.1 all day long, though I haven’t tested upon waking for a while.

My issue is that my resting heart rate has really fallen over the last 20 months I’ve been exercising. It used to be around 85 when I was overweight. But it’s around 52 now. Maybe that’s because of increased heart efficiency, as someone in the thread mentioned (maybe I’ll buy a new pulse ox with PI and check that) but I seem to remember you mentioning how to increase heart rate when you’re very fit, but I can’t find it. Maybe that would be a good article?

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Hans, it’s been a while since this thread was active, but I just found this post and article. Great work, as always!

Quick question - I’ve been trying to lose weight for a while, and I’ve done it. I exercise 4 times a week, calisthenics x2 and tae kwon do x2. I do some mobility work on the off days when I feel like it. So no cardio. I’ve lost 75 pounds, mostly through (the non-Peat) calorie restriction, but eating “Peaty” foods. my fingers and toes are still warm, and my temps are around 99.1 all day long, though I haven’t tested upon waking for a while.

My issue is that my resting heart rate has really fallen over the last 20 months I’ve been exercising. It used to be around 85 when I was overweight. But it’s around 52 now. Maybe that’s because of increased heart efficiency, as someone in the thread mentioned (maybe I’ll buy a new pulse ox with PI and check that) but I seem to remember you mentioning how to increase heart rate when you’re very fit, but I can’t find it. Maybe that would be a good article?
Hey man, thanks!
I wouldn't worry about it. If your energy, sleep recovery, sex drive, motivation, temps, etc, are on point, no need to worry about heart rate.
The enhanced need for recovery could lower heart rate a bit so if you chill for a week or so, it might go up. But I'd say no need to worry about it.

Sapien

I agree with what you're saying and heart rate should be viewed together with the other measures as well. An athlete will have a lower heart rate, but those people who have a heart rate of around 40 and most of the also hypothyroid.

Great tip on the PI that you can measure with the pulse oximeter.
I have a low heart rate (I suspect hypothyroid) and am trying to correct it, you state for athletes it is normal to have lower RHR, what would be good range? Under the 85 bpm reccomended by Rhoda Barnes? Mine is 41 atm😅😳 was always told that was a good think, turns out it was backwards like everything else lol

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
I have a low heart rate (I suspect hypothyroid) and am trying to correct it, you state for athletes it is normal to have lower RHR, what would be good range? Under the 85 bpm reccomended by Rhoda Barnes? Mine is 41 atm😅😳 was always told that was a good think, turns out it was backwards like everything else lol
Athletes heart rate will likely be lower even if they're euthyroid. Mine is just under 60 when resting, but my temps are always optimal during the whole day. I also don't have any hypothyroid symptoms.

Maybe your heart rate would go up if you left ohio... don't you know that the ohio churned out the most astronauts of all the states? Why, I wonder? cause ohio is so bad it makes people want to leave the planet.....LOL sorry had to, I am sure where you live is just fine :p:

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals