When Does Drinking Alcohol Help With Digestion Problems

biggirlkisss

when does drinking alcohol help with digustion problems i once had s hot of volka and my digustion problems want down. why is that?

EIRE24

when does drinking alcohol help with digustion problems i once had s hot of volka and my digustion problems want down. why is that?
This has happened me too, I'm not sure the mechanisms behind it though, maybe someone more educated in this area could help?

FredSonoma

I think it's the increase in energy. Not sure though. I've also experienced this where I could down way more food without issues.

Vinero

Don't know why but in many eastern European countries it is a habit to have a shot of strong alcohol before having a meal. Like a shot of vodka or Palinka.

WestCoaster

This actually interesting.. never thought about it, but some cultures do have a shot of hard liquor before and after meals.

On how the body chooses to burn energy: Alcohol gets burned off first, then Glucose, then Fat.

Perhaps the answer to the question is, your body is concentrating on burning the alcohol off before it touches the food in your stomach? Hmmm...

tankasnowgod

If you eat some questionable food, like something beyond the expiration date, or something that is contaminated, a shot or two of alcohol will likely kill off pathogens. I've done this myself a few times, and it does seem to help, if you ate something you suspect may contain some sort of bug. I think alcohol would help break down food if your low on stomach acid or digestive enzymes, or ate an excessive meal.

Of course, an excess can tear up your stomach lining, leading to other digestive problems.

sladerunner69

It's called an aperitif, and it is usually a sweet liquor like orange bitters. "Contreau" is perhaps the most well known aperitif. Another name for it is a digestif, however from the minor amount of reading I have done on the subject it appears that very little science exists to corroborate the traditional pre/post meal cocktail's efficacy in aiding digestion.

DrJ

As mentioned, alcohol is anti-biotic so will kill bacteria, at least until it is absorbed by the intestinal tract. It gets absorbed pretty quick (in the far upper intestine), so if it helps, it is likely helping a condition of SIBO, so killing off some of the bacteria that have non-ideally made it up to the small intestine, but will burden your liver in taking care of other things. If alcohol helps, check and see if you have any other symptoms of SIBO. There are probably much better ways to go about treating SIBO than alcohol.

Travis

nad

I remember several years ago I've seen the info that if you suspect food my have botulism (like canned fish, mushrooms etc), alcohol can protect from virus.

Frankdee20

Alcohol burns lol, so it would help burn off that food sitting in your gut

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals