When dissolving aspirin

Green Dot

Should the remnants at the bottom be ingested or is that just corn starch?

Pete Rey

I thought the whole point of doing that was to not consume the corn starch. Otherwise why not just swallow the tablet since it will dissolve instantly in your stomach anyway.

Birdie

Should the remnants at the bottom be ingested or is that just corn starch?
Which is the aspirin part and which is the excipients... I've read advice both ways but @mostlylurking has it right. The excipients are heavier and fall to the bottom imo.

mostlylurking

Which is the aspirin part and which is the excipients... I've read advice both ways but @mostlylurking has it right. The excipients are heavier and fall to the bottom imo.
I want to make sure you are dissolving the tablet in boiling water, not just melting it. The water has to be boiling in order to dissolve the aspirin.

akgrrrl

If you know about this, why are you buying tablets with buffers and excipients in the first place good grief

Birdie

I'm not dissolving mine at the moment. Using uncoated + water + baking soda sometimes. Sure the heck not gonna boil my water.

AncestralJoy

I want to make sure you are dissolving the tablet in boiling water, not just melting it. The water has to be boiling in order to dissolve the aspirin.
how big of a difference are we talking here boiling water or not? i use room temp and my water is sour and i feel a difference when taking it, warmer, deeper breathing, pulse up etc

mostlylurking

how big of a difference are we talking here boiling water or not? i use room temp and my water is sour and i feel a difference when taking it, warmer, deeper breathing, pulse up etc
It has been my experience that I have to use boiling water to dissolve aspirin. I'm using pure aspirin powder and it doesn't dissolve unless the water is boiling. Warm/hot tap water won't dissolve it.

reaching

My aspirin dissolves in cold and lukewarm water. Just the standard bayer kind.

Pete Rey

My aspirin + corn starch tablets from Walgreens dissolve just fine in room temperature water. So much so that if I put two tablets in 4oz of water it is too acidic to comfortably swallow.

AncestralJoy

It has been my experience that I have to use boiling water to dissolve aspirin. I'm using pure aspirin powder and it doesn't dissolve unless the water is boiling. Warm/hot tap water won't dissolve it.
Interesting, yes I have pure salicylic acid Powder that needs to actually be boiled to dissolve yet the aspirin tablets dissolve and then leave the white stuff at the bottom. Has me thing that the liquid may well have some other excipients in it that allows the aspirin to dissolve In cold water. Disconcerting

mostlylurking

Interesting, yes I have pure salicylic acid Powder that needs to actually be boiled to dissolve yet the aspirin tablets dissolve and then leave the white stuff at the bottom. Has me thing that the liquid may well have some other excipients in it that allows the aspirin to dissolve In cold water. Disconcerting
Makes me wonder what they put in there as excipients....

AncestralJoy

Makes me wonder what they put in there as excipients....
I emailed the company for the exact ingredients of the aspirin I’ve got and this is what they sent back

Aspirin 300 mg

Colloidal silicon dioxide

Hyprolose

Lactose monohydrate

Maize starch

Stearic acid

mostlylurking

I emailed the company for the exact ingredients of the aspirin I’ve got and this is what they sent back

Aspirin 300 mg

Colloidal silicon dioxide

Hyprolose

Lactose monohydrate

Maize starch

Stearic acid

Hyprolose:​

Hydroxypropyl Cellulose, 150-400 cP, NF is a non-ionic, water soluble polymer used as a thickening agent and gelling agent for aqueous formulations.

Collodial silicon dioxide: Scientifically, colloidal silicon dioxide is a fumed silica prepared by the hydrolisis of a silica compound. (sorta like ground glass)....

Sounds Delish! I think I'll stick with my pure aspirin powder.

AncestralJoy

Hyprolose:​

Hydroxypropyl Cellulose, 150-400 cP, NF is a non-ionic, water soluble polymer used as a thickening agent and gelling agent for aqueous formulations.

Collodial silicon dioxide: Scientifically, colloidal silicon dioxide is a fumed silica prepared by the hydrolisis of a silica compound. (sorta like ground glass)....

Sounds Delish! I think I'll stick with my pure aspirin powder.
Guess it’s back to the salicylic acid then, can’t get pure aspirin easily or cheaply over here in New Zealand. I just find it hard to dose the pure salicylic acid powder...

mostlylurking

GreekDemiGod

What’s wrong with little amounts of corn starch?
Anyone can comment if Bayer 500mg is a good product to just swallow the tablet?
I’m honestly lazy to dissolve it.

Pete Rey

What’s wrong with little amounts of corn starch?
Anyone can comment if Bayer 500mg is a good product to just swallow the tablet?
I’m honestly lazy to dissolve it.
I think the issue with the corn starch is that it binds easily to industrial contaminants. Someone mentioned titanium in another thread.

When it comes to tablets vs. powder I think the issue is similar either way. The purity of the aspirin in tablets is high, but comes with other undesirable ingredients. The powder for animals, you can't really be certain of the purity.

Personally I am the same - I don't want to obsess over it, so most of the time I just swallow them whole. My only goal is just that it dissolves quickly in the stomach so that it is absorbed there and doesn't get to the small intestine.

Sometimes I dissolve some baking soda in water, and then dissolve the aspirin tablets in that to create a homemade Alka-Seltzer minus the harmful citric acid.

FWIW, Walgreens brand inactive ingredients: corn starch, hypromellose, polyethylene glycol, propylene glycol

No silicon dioxide or stearic acid

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals