When Did Sugar Start Becoming “bad”?

rzero

Did it start with”Pure, White, and Deadly”? What was the common view of sugar in the earlier 20th century or the 19th century? I’m sure this has been covered by Peat or somewhere on the forum. Every “history of nutrition” type thing I’ve come across has been from a low-carb perspective.

I do know Dr. Pepper used to promote itself as a healthy way to keep blood sugar up. “Have one at 10, 2, and 4”.

Gone Peating

I imagine it started occurring when health started to seriously decline. Scientists and people were looking for answers.

To be fair, most candies and sources of refined sugars come with other nasty dyes and chemicals typically so they probably are right to stay away from that stuff.

I’m gonna guess if the vegetal oil lobbying was powerful enough to fake those studies and promote vegetal oil as “heart healthy” they probably also were pumping out some anti-sugar stuff to keep people thinking it’s the sugar that’s making everyone diabetic and not the vegetable oil in everything they eat

Vegetable oil is a random thing tbh. Before Peat if someone would have started talking about it or canola oil or soybean oil I wouldn’t even know what they were talking about