When Blood Is Being Drawn

yerrag

When a phlebotomist draws my blood, he/she always tells me to inhale. I find it makes me more nervous. Instead, I just do nothing. Maybe it's holding my breath, slightly. And I'm fine. I can even look at blood being drawn into the syringe.

Isn't inhaling while blood is being drawn a wrong practice? It makes me more nervous. One time, it was hard to draw blood. I think it was. because I was so nervous my body was resisting the drawing of blood.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

Hyperventilation makes blood clot much more easily so it is a bad practice.
It's what all phlebotomists say before drawing blood here in Manila. I don't wonder anymore why they are taught this way.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

I also think of how when we lift weights we exhale as we lift, so it is that we don't inhale when our blood is being drawn. I don't really know why it's so, perhaps @Hans would.

sunraiser

I also think of how when we lift weights we exhale as we lift, so it is that we don't inhale when our blood is being drawn. I don't really know why it's so, perhaps @Hans would.

I always wondered at that advice when lifting. I don't naturally exhale under exertion, I just breathe normally.

I've never had anyone instruct me to breathe a certain way during blood test, either. Maybe it's thought to help with nerves (as a focus on breath type tactic).

OP
yerrag

yerrag

Hyperventilation makes blood clot much more easily so it is a bad practice.

Breathing in does seem to make me hyperventilate, and in itself is already bad. Causing blood to clot makes it even worse.
I always wondered at that advice when lifting. I don't naturally exhale under exertion, I just breathe normally.

I've never had anyone instruct me to breathe a certain way during blood test, either. Maybe it's thought to help with nerves (as a focus on breath type tactic).

Maybe it's better to tell the person to stay calm. But then it may have the opposite effect. I'm calm, what makes you think I'm not calm?!!

Hans

Forum Supporter
I'm not sure why you're instructed to inhale because that usually makes the heart beat faster and can make you more nervous like you say.

For weight lifting, when lifting heavy weights, holding your breath while doing the concentric is best because it braces your midsection and helps with form. Also, when doing the eccentric part, it's best to not exhale completely, but exhale partially during the eccentric portion through pursed lips.

If one is not lifting heavy, like doing lateral raises, it's not needed to breath like that because not a lot of bracing is required.

If heavy weights is lifted and proper breathing is not implemented, then injury can occur easily. Also it's just easier to lift heavy if you're properly braced.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

I'm not sure why you're instructed to inhale because that usually makes the heart beat faster and can make you more nervous like you say.

For weight lifting, when lifting heavy weights, holding your breath while doing the concentric is best because it braces your midsection and helps with form. Also, when doing the eccentric part, it's best to not exhale completely, but exhale partially during the eccentric portion through pursed lips.

If one is not lifting heavy, like doing lateral raises, it's not needed to breath like that because not a lot of bracing is required.

If heavy weights is lifted and proper breathing is not implemented, then injury can occur easily. Also it's just easier to lift heavy if you're properly braced.

As far as drawing blood goes, I'm glad I'm not getting it wrong. I just needed to see what you all think as I felt weird not following their instructions each time, like I'm being testy.

But for lifting weights and how to breathe, I keep getting it wrong when I haven't lifted for a long time. Thanks!

OP
yerrag

yerrag

Here is a TED talk on breathing, as it relates to our sympathetic/parasympathetic nervous system, and to our fight/flight responses. What I can make out of it is that breathing in while having our blood drawn isn't such a good idea. But there are good insights worth thinking about and applying as well:

michael94

Here is a TED talk on breathing, as it relates to our sympathetic/parasympathetic nervous system, and to our fight/flight responses. What I can make out of it is that breathing in while having our blood drawn isn't such a good idea. But there are good insights worth thinking about and applying as well:

Yerrag .. if I may. I am just tired of the phrase “fight or flight response” !! The sympathetic nervous system is extra human, and noradrenaline is not a stress hormone.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

Yerrag .. if I may. I am just tired of the phrase “fight or flight response” !! The sympathetic nervous system is extra human, and noradrenaline is not a stress hormone.
I'm listening. But you have to unpack your words.

michael94

I'm listening. But you have to unpack your words.
Ray peat on noradrenaline

"It increases oxygen consumption and carbon dioxide production, with many protective effects. Noradrenalin is a central part of brain functioning, and integrates energy metabolism throughout the body, releasing glucose from stored glycogen; it isn't a stress hormone. Sugar protects against increased cortisol/cortisone. The cultists say it's addictive and causes stress, but that's their problem." (RP)

"Hypothyroidism makes cells insensitive, and to keep functioning, the body has to increase the signals to activate them. Some hypothyroid people get very tense, alert, and sometimes even hypermetabolic, while others become sluggish, dull, and cold. Noradrenalin is largely responsible for the better kind of adaptive response. Serotonin dominance tends toward hibernation as a way to get through stress. Evidence from lizards and hibernating squirrels shows that polyunsaturated fats are responsible for that kind of adaptive avoidance. When thyroid functions, and the available energy fuels (sugars and saturated fats) are optimal, cells are very sensitive to all appropriate signals, and so the nerve signals, and other hormones, can decrease to very low levels. Both glucose and fructose help to keep the brain's T3 level up." (RP)

OP
yerrag

yerrag

Ray peat on noradrenaline
I still don't get what you're trying to say. It's doubly difficult also when you quote Ray, as Ray's words are like tobacco, you have to chew on them for a while. What I don't understand is why you are tired of people saying "fight or flight" response. I can't explain that myself and admit it's kinda like a pop culture thing. I just say it like it's a reflex and you now make me question that statement.

michael94

I still don't get what you're trying to say. It's doubly difficult also when you quote Ray, as Ray's words are like tobacco, you have to chew on them for a while. What I don't understand is why you are tired of people saying "fight or flight" response. I can't explain that myself and admit it's kinda like a pop culture thing. I just say it like it's a reflex and you now make me question that statement.
Well, I’m going to think about it for the evening and return tomorrow or some other day. Very sleepy

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals