When Are Individual Aminos Worth It?

cyclops

It seems there is allot of conflicting information on when (if ever) taking individual amino acids is a good thing.

It seems many people on this forum have tried, but ultimately decided it is better not to supplement.

Any one on here have a continually good experience taking them long-term?

Frankdee20

Honestly, I will almost always buy Magnesium Glycinate. That leaves me with Glycine in isolation. Other than that, I simply never found isolated aminos to be worth buying twice.

OP
cyclops

cyclops

Oh thats cool. I wouldn't have really considered that an amino, but I guess your right it is. I meant more aminos by themselves.

walker_in_aus

Taurine really kills my depression and anxiety. I have been taking it for a few months on a off for two years. It also REALLY helps me with liver glycogen management - it means I can go a few hours between eating. I've always had problems with that and it's just great. Please note, my husband tried taking taurine once (he had not been avoiding pufas, did not increase his intake of sugars, and started taking a higher dose of it) and immediately become very very very depressed. So, things work well for some people depending on their life, diet and other things.

Frankdee20

I guess Taurine was okay but couldn’t really tell

Vinero

My goal is to gain muscle to increase my metabolic rate further so I take these anabolic amino acids:

Leucine is anabolic amino acid, it releases insulin which pushes fuel into muscle cells and also Leucine stimulates protein synthesis. If you want to gain weight (muscle) Leucine is great. In large amounts it can cause anxiety though. I would limit it to 3 grams at a time with each meal.

Isoleucine is another anabolic amino acid since it increases glucose uptake by muscle, intestinal and other cells. Storing larger amounts of sugar in your tissues can make you go longer between meals without relying on free fatty acids. If you ever went to the gym to lift weights after eating a high-carb meal you know your performance is going to be great and you get insane pumps. This is because you have large amounts of sugar available to fuel your muscles. Dosage 1.5 gr - 3gr after each meal, preferably with leucine.

Obviously both Leucine and Isoleucine require large amounts of carbohydrates to work properly. Take it with OJ or Coke or other sugary drink.

Last edited:

Frankdee20

These aren't contradictory.

Yep, but aside from taking Glutamine to convert to Glutamic Acid, then GABA, via p5p actions on GAD enzyme, there’s no other aminos for this.

Ray doesn’t like Glutamine though, Taurine works like Glycine, to inhibit messages in the CNS, like GABA. These don’t add GABA to your system though.

Frankdee20

Oh yeah, some of the BCAA’s have receptors on the Gabbapentinoid medication binding sites.

MrSmart

Yep, but aside from taking Glutamine to convert to Glutamic Acid, then GABA, via p5p actions on GAD enzyme, there’s no other aminos for this.

Ray doesn’t like Glutamine though, Taurine works like Glycine, to inhibit messages in the CNS, like GABA. These don’t add GABA to your system though.

Actually, L-theanine administration on mice suggests an increase in GABA¹.

¹ Kimura, Ryohei, and Toshiro Murata. "Influence of alkylamides of glutamic acid and related compounds on the central nervous system. I. Central depressant effect of theanine." Chemical and Pharmaceutical Bulletin 19, no. 6 (1971): 1257-1261.

Frankdee20

Actually, L-theanine administration on mice suggests an increase in GABA¹.

¹ Kimura, Ryohei, and Toshiro Murata. "Influence of alkylamides of glutamic acid and related compounds on the central nervous system. I. Central depressant effect of theanine." Chemical and Pharmaceutical Bulletin 19, no. 6 (1971): 1257-1261.

Nice lol, are mice studies on brain chemistry relevant to humans ? Either way, I will be buying a Suntheanine supplement. Paired with Taurine, and Magnesium Glycinate, p5p, and some Kava for increased receptor density. Maybe a little Glutamine, yes, I’m going over the top.

MrSmart

Nice lol, are mice studies on brain chemistry relevant to humans ? Either way, I will be buying a Suntheanine supplement. Paired with Taurine, and Magnesium Glycinate, p5p, and some Kava for increased receptor density. Maybe a little Glutamine, yes, I’m going over the top.

It's a NMDAR agonist, it should clearly enhance GABAergic transmission. All mammalian central nervous systems are similar to a great extent.

You can even find the popular serotonin effect on social dominance in the lobster, one that I do not particularly agree on.

Vinero

It's a NMDAR agonist, it should clearly enhance GABAergic transmission. All mammalian central nervous systems are similar to a great extent.

You can even find the popular serotonin effect on social dominance in the lobster, one that I do not particularly agree on.
I think social dominance is measured by aggressive behavior in those popular serotonin studies.

dbh25

Do any supplements provide benefits, and do you take them forever or is there a time you know to stop taking?

Zpol

I was literally almost about to file for medical leave because I was having severe dizziness, confusion, couldn't think straight (which prevented me from driving lengthy distances), nausea, lack of appetite, stomach pain, continuous panic due to the terrifying symptoms. (I have several ailments including Celiac, malabsorbtion syndrome, fibro, SIBO which contributed to the problem.) I had been taking 6 to 10 caps of AminoPro sparadically, I upped this to 20 to 25 caps with OJ (in divided doses) and within days I was able to work again (changing nothing else in my regimen). I determined that dose based on studies that indicated at least a gram or more of AAs , particularly taurine, glycine, phenelalanine, and lysine were required for theraputic value, also based on two anecdotal stories of women with similar problems. My hope is that this AA supp will heal whatever the underlying problems are (be it viral, bacterial, parasitic, or whatever it is) and I can back off the high quantity.

You could also look up Nate Hatch's (author of '**** portion Control') experience with lysine and I think he also took taurine, in gram or so doses.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals