Wheat germ not the oil

beachbum

Is eating wheat germ ok. Not the oil. The kind in jar toasted. I have the one with honey.

Thank you
Beachbum

tara

I don't think Peat recommends large quantities of it. I think he said his teeth suffered when he ate a lot of it himself.
Most of the PUFA, and possibly some other undesirables, are in the germ.
Unless you are particularly sensitive, and you really love it, I imagine an occasional small amount might not be a big deal.

Wilfrid

You can also get most of the benefit of wheat germ minus the inconvenient if you soak 1-2 tbsp of wheat germ in water, let it stand in the fridge overnight and then drink only the water the next morning. I use a permanent coffee filter and it takes less than 2 minutes to get an interesting source of B1, manganese, zinc, selenium ect...but still the phosphorus content might still be a problem for some.
However, with this method, no need to worries ( if you do ) about PUFA content ( not soluble in water ), fibers....
My main concern would be more about the WGA ( wheat germ agglutinin ) that seems, at least in some cases, to have a relation with thyroid cancer but I think that this bad guy is only slightly soluble in water.
Wheat germ can also be an interesting source of vitamin E/K and to get the most potent extraction of those, you can use clear alcohol like vodka as a solvent. The soaking process is the same as the water recipe but I often let it soak over 3-4 days in the fridge. Beware that with the alcohol extraction you will get most of the PUFA ( and maybe the WGA too ) content of the germ, though.

D

Derek

beachbum said:
post 112783 Is eating wheat germ ok. Not the oil. The kind in jar toasted. I have the one with honey.

Thank you
Beachbum

It's likely very toxic, as well as wheat bran. Why are you eating it? You can probably find whatever nutrient you are interested in elsewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals