What's Your Struggles When It Comes To Fat Loss?

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
On a paleo template of fruit, 100% juice, seafood, meat, and saturated fat from beef tallow, butter and coconut oil, I leaned out to 180lbs at 6’2” and found it extremely difficult to gain weight (my wallet felt the same). Macros 140/350/120-140
P/c/f.

Added in sweet potatoes/yams fried in coconut oil this week to start to gain weight. (My wallet still got lighter :( )
Macros 150/450/120-140
P/c/f.
Cool, keep us update with the added starch.

CaliforniaKat

On a paleo template of fruit, 100% juice, seafood, meat, and saturated fat from beef tallow, butter and coconut oil, I leaned out to 180lbs at 6’2” and found it extremely difficult to gain weight (my wallet felt the same). Macros 140/350/120-140
P/c/f.

Added in sweet potatoes/yams fried in coconut oil this week to start to gain weight. (My wallet still got lighter :( )
Macros 150/450/120-140
P/c/f.

I'd really like to hear more about this. I feel awful on super low fat, adrenalized and hungry all the time. I have lots of weight to lose (70 pounds +) and don't see myself losing it unless I go back to lower carb. But it appears you and a few others here utilized higher fat with without going low carb to lose weight. Kreeese was very successful too.

Runenight201

Yeah, IF really lowers hunger.
I find that the more nutritious my diet is, the better my energy is and the less I have to eat for energy and so on, which helps me to stay lean (not implying that I'm undereating). Being sedentary can pile on weight, but I'd say the reason is that there might be some nutritional deficiencies that prevent the body from burning the excess energy.

Yes I think that being sedentary is an effect of poor health and not a cause. When the correct nutritional inputs are there, movement than becomes natural and sought after, and if not obtained, things like increased non-exercise activity thermogenesis will take place, such as being more vocal, having more thoughts, thinking more deeply, making more connections, engaging etc...

Elie

Forum Supporter
I went from 185 to 215 when I started Peat diet or what I hoped was Peat diet.

Now I'm at 196 or so. It's been very slow fat loss but that's okay with me. I am losing about 5 pounds of fat a year, probably.
Please share what worked for you, you gender abd age (for perspective)

CLASH

@Hans
Had to stop after 2 days with the sweet potatoes: bloating, rashes and insomnia. Probably still have some gut issues going on, gonna have to stay skinny for now, fruit, meat, and saturated fats are terrible weight gainers....

@CaliforniaKat
Template is simple:
-4 meals
-protein, carb and fat at each meal
-protein is beef, lamb, sometimes eggs, shrimp, cod, or scallops
-carbs are whole fruit and fruit juice. About 16oz of 100% fruit juice and 8oz of whole fruit per meal. I use pineapple juice mostly now. But also mix in pomegranate, grape, cranberry etc. I eat a bunch of random fruits, alot of frozen stuff, seems fresher than the non-frozen depeding on season.
-fats are butter and beef tallow. (I cook my protein sources in these fats, about 25g/meal added)
-i eat the fruit and juice first for an appetizer, then chill for 10 min, then eat the meat and fat.
-i finish off every meal with 1-2 raw yellow, purple, white or orange carrots to get my fiber between 20-30g/ day, feel best in this range. Too many orange carrots turned me orange.
-i track everything in cronometer, but i pretty much eat the same thing everyday following the template, so i have one week of food plugged in and i just follow that. Lets me know what i need to buy, how much and allows me to cook in bulk. Also, i can track my food expense and adjust accordingly if need be. Not a cheap diet tho...
-Figured out my caloric needs via katch-mccardle formula
-protein .6-.8g/lb goal
-carbs:protein atleast 2:1
-found 20-30g of fat at a meal to digest the best. More than 30g added and im too full. Less than 20g and adrenaline shoots up and libido is poor.
-i lift weights around 3-4x a week, on average closer to 3x. No cardio ever, no aerobics.

Cirion

Still shaking my head at your massive fat intake lol. 2:1 carb:protein ratio is sooo low too... especially for someone that lifts weights... research shows the optimum is at least 4:1, and I eat way higher than that, so I'm genuinely amazed you can function on a ratio that low lol.

but...! the one part I have proven you right via data is Fiber

upload_2019-8-26_14-38-48.png

Look at that! Right in the 20-30 gram range you mentioned. So I find the same thing w/ fiber as you with ideal amount.

Jpkoepse

Still shaking my head at your massive fat intake lol. 2:1 carb:protein ratio is sooo low too... especially for someone that lifts weights... research shows the optimum is at least 4:1, and I eat way higher than that, so I'm genuinely amazed you can function on a ratio that low lol.

but...! the one part I have proven you right via data is Fiber

View attachment 14472

Look at that! Right in the 20-30 gram range you mentioned. So I find the same thing w/ fiber as you with ideal amount.
Can you provide some more info on these ratios? And that graphic? This seems interesting

Cirion

Can you provide some more info on these ratios? And that graphic? This seems interesting

The study you can look at here

Carbohydrates and Testosterone: Non-Essential but Still Important

carbohydrate-intakes-and-its-effect-on-testosterone-production.jpg

I'm metabolically unwell, so my carb/protein ratios are drastically higher than 4:1. Sometimes as high as 12-14:1. I doubt the healthy person would need to be this high as they would be more efficient at processing carbs than I am. Some days I even pretty much fast from all protein/fats -- I don't do total fasting (you always need carbs) -- because protein/fats reliably bloat me (like yesterday), this has *finally* started to cause my weight on the scale to start to shift downwards, which I am sure is due to crap like lacking B-vitamins, but it is what it is (and yes I am working on fixing that, but it's not yet fixed). I encourage people to experiment because I bet even the average healthy person, especially one that works out, may find their ratio is higher than 4:1... maybe like 6:1. Possibly higher. I don't think this study looked at ratios higher than 4:1, and if you notice the trend in the plot, it hadn't flat-lined at 4:1 which suggest indeed the optimal ratio is even higher than 4:1. edit-looks like they did look at 7:1 ratio, not sure why they didn't plot it on the right plot?

As for my plot I define metabolic score of 100(%) on my plot as waking temp of 98.6f and 85 bpm pulse rate (or better).

CLASH

@Cirion
Perhaps you are metabolically unwell in part because of those ratios.

Even legendary bodybuilders from the golden era dont report eating 6:1 let alone 12:1 carb to protein ratio’s.

Perhaps in reinventing the wheel with all of this theory and hypothesis, your intellectallizing yourself into health issues.