What's Your Struggles When It Comes To Fat Loss?

Hans

Forum Supporter
Hey everyone!

I'd like to ask a couple of questions to those of you who wouldn't mind sharing. I'd like to know:
  1. what you've tried in the past and why it didn't work for fat loss? (or what did work)
  2. what is currently holding you back? (e.g. a certain belief, health concern, motivation, etc.)

For me in the past, my drive to be lean year-round wasn't big enough. I didn't associate enough enjoyments and reward to it until a while back that drive became big enough and now the journey is really enjoyable.

Kingpinguin

I was quite lean when younger. But was skinny aswell. So i bulked up a bit. Felt better mood from adding some weight. Anyway now I’m weight lifting in combination with building muscle and losing fat. My approach is not counting calories. Instead I eat when I’m hungry or if I feel cortisol/adrenaline respons like cold hands and not good mood. Macros I emphasize on carbohydrates as much as I feel like and 100+ grams protein. Eating some saturated fat but not much instead I eat a lot of higher fructose honey like akacia honey so that the liver can make cholesterol for hormone production. So far I’m doing really well and gained a significant amount of muscle in just 2-3 weeks. I think I’m getting leaner but hard to tell. I have nice 6 pack and its looking more defined. But also have two fat patches on my lower back/waist. That was the location where my fat instantly went once I focused on bulking. My goal now is to try and eliminate it without compromising muscle gains. I’m likely missing out on some gains if I ate a bit more but so far I’ve gained muscle fast so not focusing on progress since progress is going smoothly. I think that the approach of high carb and good protein combined with low fat is the secret formula for weight loss. Thay combined with exercise although not too intense.
If you have any tips I’m very interested

ddjd

the only thing that works for me is intermittent fasting.

opethfeldt

Same thing for me. Seems like I have to choose between good health and being lean. I haven't managed to feel good and be lean at the same time yet. In fact, getting lean with IF destroys my metabolism so much, the self esteem issues I then struggle with are worse than just staying at the higher level of body fat with a better metabolism. So that's what I've stuck with so far.

I went from 185 to 215 when I started Peat diet or what I hoped was Peat diet.

Now I'm at 196 or so. It's been very slow fat loss but that's okay with me. I am losing about 5 pounds of fat a year, probably.

ddjd

Same thing for me. Seems like I have to choose between good health and being lean. I haven't managed to feel good and be lean at the same time yet. In fact, getting lean with IF destroys my metabolism so much, the self esteem issues I then struggle with are worse than just staying at the higher level of body fat with a better metabolism. So that's what I've stuck with so far.
at the moment im alternating a 16 hour fasting day to lose the weight, with a day where im doing extremely low/ zero fat, very high carbs and taking t3 to boost thyroid function and hopefully minimise the metabolic damage caused during the fasting window. ive lost about 5-7 kilos after doing this for 2 weeks

opethfeldt

at the moment im alternating a 16 hour fasting day to lose the weight, with a day where im doing extremely low/ zero fat, very high carbs and taking t3 to boost thyroid function and hopefully minimise the metabolic damage caused during the fasting window. ive lost about 5-7 kilos after doing this for 2 weeks
Do you use the t3 during the fast or the feeding window?

Cirion

Hey everyone!

I'd like to ask a couple of questions to those of you who wouldn't mind sharing. I'd like to know:
  1. what you've tried in the past and why it didn't work for fat loss? (or what did work)
  2. what is currently holding you back? (e.g. a certain belief, health concern, motivation, etc.)

For me in the past, my drive to be lean year-round wasn't big enough. I didn't associate enough enjoyments and reward to it until a while back that drive became big enough and now the journey is really enjoyable.

1. Virtually everything at this point, which is what led to me finally start doing extremely detailed excel spreadsheets to figure it out. By everything I mean every major fad diet you can imagine, every fitness routine you can imagine. Many of these actually did work, to lose weight, but not to regain health. After I hit age 30 my goals shifted to regain health, not necessarily weight, although weight is still the goal, and none of these worked for that, which led me to Peat eventually. I realized caloric deficits were simply not the answer for sustainable fat loss at this point.

2. Liver health, gut health, digestion problems, thyroid woes, estrogen/serotonin dominance, insulin resistance, all the fun stuff. and also since my stress tolerance is low, any and all stressors you can think of set me back, even things that would seem small (EMF's riding in the car, having to sit in front of a computer for 8 hrs at work, having to be forced to wake up at times I usually would not get up on my own if I didn't have a job).

Trust me, my drive to get better is at an all time high, but drive is simply not enough sadly. You are what you eat, there's a ton of truth to it. You are what environment you live in also, and the latter is a lot harder to modify. Getting lean is not enjoyable if it requires deprivation of food and excessive exercise (the only way I've ever been able to get lean before) and I'm done depriving myself which is why I'm still overweight as its definitely very hard to get lean while not depriving yourself of food, especially when you are still undergoing stressors each and every day that are unavoidable in corporate america. Alot of these stressors don't affect someone who is well, but someone who is sick like me, even the smallest of stressors can ruin me.

But there is hope, and I've been religiously tracking data since March of this year and every month I get closer to "the answer" so to speak.

Dedication is definitely a requirement to get well. I doubt I'd ever get well if I didn't have the dedication to track as religiously as I do.

IMO there is far too much focus on restricting food and increasing activity in popular fitness. The elephant in the room is your stress levels, which is actually the primary driver. Unfortunately as I mention, when you're sick, you're chronically stressed no matter what because your body doesn't produce CO2 and produces way too much lactic acid and also floods your body with cystine, tryptophan, PUFA, serotonin, estrogen, and more.... And then throw a caloric deficit on top of that and then the stress goes through the roof. That's why I'm done doing that.

Last edited:
OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
I was quite lean when younger. But was skinny aswell. So i bulked up a bit. Felt better mood from adding some weight. Anyway now I’m weight lifting in combination with building muscle and losing fat. My approach is not counting calories. Instead I eat when I’m hungry or if I feel cortisol/adrenaline respons like cold hands and not good mood. Macros I emphasize on carbohydrates as much as I feel like and 100+ grams protein. Eating some saturated fat but not much instead I eat a lot of higher fructose honey like akacia honey so that the liver can make cholesterol for hormone production. So far I’m doing really well and gained a significant amount of muscle in just 2-3 weeks. I think I’m getting leaner but hard to tell. I have nice 6 pack and its looking more defined. But also have two fat patches on my lower back/waist. That was the location where my fat instantly went once I focused on bulking. My goal now is to try and eliminate it without compromising muscle gains. I’m likely missing out on some gains if I ate a bit more but so far I’ve gained muscle fast so not focusing on progress since progress is going smoothly. I think that the approach of high carb and good protein combined with low fat is the secret formula for weight loss. Thay combined with exercise although not too intense.
If you have any tips I’m very interested
Thanks for sharing.
If you're currently losing weight with what you're doing, then keep at it. Body recomp at maintenance calories is possible but just takes more time than either a deficit or bigger surplus alone. But even in a deficit, you can still build muscle, but that depends on how much muscle you already have.

I like tracking calories because then I actually know if I'm in a surplus or deficit or not so that it's easier to tweak and for me to progress towards my goals.

I don't know what your diet's like, but with all that fructose, just be sure to consume enough B-vitamins, copper, magnesium, choline and glycine. High fructose intake requires a nutrient-dense diet.
My fat also stores around the midsection when I bulk up too fast, and I'm not convinced that's because of cortisol, but rather just where fat is stored first. To get rid of it you just have to get lean enough and once you got rid of it, bulk slowly as to minimize fat gain. An easy way to track what's going on is with measuring tape and skin callipers.

A small deficit would probably be best if you want to get rid of that midsection fat, as then you're not as hungry or fatigued and you can still build muscle and strength.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Thanks for sharing. Why did it work for you? Was it mainly for appetite suppression? Were you counting calories during that time to know if you were eating the same when doing IF or not?
Interesting fact if you don't know this already, fasting increases the intestinal production of TUDCA.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
How is your hunger while doing this? Do you track your calories or just eat to hunger?

I have the same experience as those who said fasting is the only thing that works.

I’ve tried many variations of the Peat approach and the only ones that work for weight loss cause manic energy and poor sleep and a very restrictive diet overall.

When I eat intuitively to hunger with no fasting, I eat around 3500 calories a day.

When I just do a 4 hr eating window I can get by with 2000 calories no problem.

And my energy is way better during the day.

So I’m back to fasting. As much as I admire Ray Peat and have learned a lot from him, I’m not going to be a martyr for the gain weight for a while and hope cause.

The caveat to all this is I can eat Peaty and be lean no problem if I can leave my sedentary lifestyle. I can feel how much more insulin resistant I am after meals just being sedentary and the Peat approach just doesn’t help here.

Runenight201

The biggest challenge with fat loss in my opinion is gaining/maintaining strength while supporting good moods and energy. I’ve leaned up quickly eating a rice and veggie or fruit only diet but had such bad energy and moods or felt heavy and slow.

The strength and well-being associated with high energy intakes can still be achieved while undergoing fat loss, but only with the addition of un peat approved foods, unless one wants to turn to incorporating supplements into their regimen. I’ll forever be thankful to peat for getting me to eat dairy and sugar again, but these foods have their problems in excess, and a starch free/nut/vegetable free diet is a mistake imo.

Anytime I note any type of negative physical state I always ingest something, but I’ve stopped trying to force any specific type of food, but rather what I know would be best for my body at that time. Salted mixed nuts have been a powerful addition to my diet as of late.

I’ve gone from about 210 at my heaviest to getting down to 170 but feeling like crap, and being weak, etc... where as I’m 163 right now and feeling quite strong, light, flexible, and energetic in my body. I was stuck at 170 for a while, but have finally broken through that plateau while keeping my energy and moods good. The pros of being light cannot be understated, as I feel as if I can bounce around on my feet and move freely in all planes very easily. This is a very freeing feeling. My goals from here on out are to improve my pulling strength, climbing capabilities, as well as my flipping ones.

Photos cuz people complain of not enough photo evidence here =P (and perhaps Im a bit vain, but it was my vanity that was the original impetus for going down this whole health mess) the bike pic is me floating in the low 200s, the other pic is me as of now. Still got a little bit more work to do in regards to completely shredding up the stomach but I think I’ll be getting there soon.

Attachments

• 8C17E699-2E49-400D-9D06-53A5634014B2.png
    8C17E699-2E49-400D-9D06-53A5634014B2.png
    403.6 KB · Views: 143
  • 4465B27A-5BC0-4366-9394-DBD38616E3E0.jpeg
    4465B27A-5BC0-4366-9394-DBD38616E3E0.jpeg
    276.5 KB · Views: 141

Waremu

I’ll forever be thankful to peat for getting me to eat dairy and sugar again, but these foods have their problems in excess, and a starch free/nut/vegetable free diet is a mistake imo.

I don't think a starch based diet or diet that includes starch has to be synonymous with one that includes nuts and seeds. Nuts and seeds offer no nutritional value that cannot be got from other foods. And the cost is, more PUFA/anti-nutrients (with the exception of few in small amounts, like macademia nuts). Not a trade-off that is of any value to me, in my view. I think if dairy and sugar doesn't work for someone, one could easily try starch and not have to go down the nuts/seeds route. Some have done that and saw improvements.

Kingpinguin

Thanks for sharing.
If you're currently losing weight with what you're doing, then keep at it. Body recomp at maintenance calories is possible but just takes more time than either a deficit or bigger surplus alone. But even in a deficit, you can still build muscle, but that depends on how much muscle you already have.

I like tracking calories because then I actually know if I'm in a surplus or deficit or not so that it's easier to tweak and for me to progress towards my goals.

I don't know what your diet's like, but with all that fructose, just be sure to consume enough B-vitamins, copper, magnesium, choline and glycine. High fructose intake requires a nutrient-dense diet.
My fat also stores around the midsection when I bulk up too fast, and I'm not convinced that's because of cortisol, but rather just where fat is stored first. To get rid of it you just have to get lean enough and once you got rid of it, bulk slowly as to minimize fat gain. An easy way to track what's going on is with measuring tape and skin callipers.

A small deficit would probably be best if you want to get rid of that midsection fat, as then you're not as hungry or fatigued and you can still build muscle and strength.

Yeah totally following you. Right now though I’m not so interested in leaning out as I have not gained the size I’d like but once I do I’ll get very picky about calories and like you said planning to go on a minor deficit and eating properly so that muscle can still be preserved. Yeah fat on the back is not cortisol related to me I can tell. Will soon use a combination of 6-keto P4, DHEA, pregnenolone and low dose exemestane. Heard good about 6k-p4 letting you gain muscle easily.

CLASH

On a paleo template of fruit, 100% juice, seafood, meat, and saturated fat from beef tallow, butter and coconut oil, I leaned out to 180lbs at 6’2” and found it extremely difficult to gain weight (my wallet felt the same). Macros 140/350/120-140
P/c/f.

Added in sweet potatoes/yams fried in coconut oil this week to start to gain weight. (My wallet still got lighter :( )
Macros 150/450/120-140
P/c/f.

Runenight201

I don't think a starch based diet or diet that includes starch has to be synonymous with one that includes nuts and seeds. Nuts and seeds offer no nutritional value that cannot be got from other foods. And the cost is, more PUFA/anti-nutrients (with the exception of few in small amounts, like macademia nuts). Not a trade-off that is of any value to me, in my view. I think if dairy and sugar doesn't work for someone, one could easily try starch and not have to go down the nuts/seeds route. Some have done that and saw improvements.

From a pedantic standpoint the anti-nutrients don’t make the nut a net negative food after accounting for the larger amounts of positive nutrients present in the nut. I’m talking about maybe 1-2 oz worth of nuts, and looking at the cashew, which contains a a large amount of magnesium, which is a specially hard mineral to get without consuming very specific fruits or a large amount of dairy, but in my experience both quickly cause problems if overconsumed. Starch provides energy but can weigh down the body if overconsumed, and none of them have magnesium, besides beans and whole grains, which also cause problems and are not remotely tasty on their own. These problems aren’t there if the fruit/dairy intake is lessoned and replaced with other sources of nutrition. One could turn to a supplement based way of eating, to avoid PUFA in nuts and then getting the minerals, proteins, and safer fats found in nuts, but it is a rather odd way to live in my opinion.

In my experience, I noticed an increase in well-being, warmth, and satiation from a small amount of salted nut consumption in my diet. Magnesium definitely contributes to this, but my body also receiving protein and fat also provides energy and satiation as well. Nuts also taste good. Whole foods that taste good are always a sign to me that something good is going on, especially if I note a subjective increase in well-being afterwards.

Vinny

I tried low carb in the past and it made me a lean boy. Don`t know how it`s gonna work now.

Low fat didn`t work at all. Quitting alcohol also did not do anything. Mindful and timely, super clean eating, too.

1. what is currently holding you back?
TBH, have got no idea. I`m in the middle of nowhere. Managed somehow to stop gaining fat, but no way to go down certain level, atm. All my efforts proved so far fruitless.
Probably discipline is still not yet perfect. Ate a huge piece of chocolate cake yesterday. Commercial. May be half of it was PUFA. Gained 3 lb eventually ....(what a stupid **** I am).... But, I still struggle to understand: When I was eating tons of pufa-loaded meals in the past, and was drinking alcohol, discipline was not even a dream, never slept well, etc., I have never been obese..... Go figure!

Cirion

From a pedantic standpoint the anti-nutrients don’t make the nut a net negative food after accounting for the larger amounts of positive nutrients present in the nut. I’m talking about maybe 1-2 oz worth of nuts, and looking at the cashew, which contains a a large amount of magnesium, which is a specially hard mineral to get without consuming very specific fruits or a large amount of dairy, but in my experience both quickly cause problems if overconsumed. Starch provides energy but can weigh down the body if overconsumed, and none of them have magnesium, besides beans and whole grains, which also cause problems and are not remotely tasty on their own. These problems aren’t there if the fruit/dairy intake is lessoned and replaced with other sources of nutrition. One could turn to a supplement based way of eating, to avoid PUFA in nuts and then getting the minerals, proteins, and safer fats found in nuts, but it is a rather odd way to live in my opinion.

In my experience, I noticed an increase in well-being, warmth, and satiation from a small amount of salted nut consumption in my diet. Magnesium definitely contributes to this, but my body also receiving protein and fat also provides energy and satiation as well. Nuts also taste good. Whole foods that taste good are always a sign to me that something good is going on, especially if I note a subjective increase in well-being afterwards.

Epsom salt baths my man. Every night. I don't worry about magnesium anymore. Plus baths are a great way to unwind/destress before going to bed. Technically this is supplementation, but I treat an Epsom salt baths as a de-stressing activity more so than a supplement.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals