What's your main sources of nutrients?

welshwing

I'm trying to build a diet but haven't ever explored Ray Peat's site, too long. I read this thread a while ago https://www.raypeatforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5902 it said honey is better than orange juice so I substituted them and started taking a vitamin C supplement. But then I realized OJ has a lot of OTHER nutrients in it, I thought OJ was just sugar and vitamin C so honey + Vit C is not enough to replace OJ.... but I prefer honey or cane sugar MUCH more as a carb source, It's so easy to get carbs eating that stuff.

What do you eat to to get nutrients? Or what supplements do you take to replace food? My main source of nutrients is milk and potatoes, but I'm trying to cut down on potatoes because removing all the bad stuff and starch actually leaves very little food, and it takes a while to make - starch free or not, takes a while to cook but I read they have great nutrients and I'm worried I lack adequate nutritron.

CoolTweetPete

Are you concerned with particular micronutrients?

Oysters, beef liver, OJ, cheese, milk, eggs (yolk) are very nutrient dense.

Nicholas

milk and potatoes provide almost all of the nutrients, why would you want to give that up if it works for you?
everyone gets their nutrients in different ways depending on what foods they find appetizing and what foods they tolerate.

michael94

Oysters are amazing. I could feel the difference in a way no food I've had before affected me. Was probably copper or selenium deficient, not sure. I still find them pretty gross but it's worth it.

The other stuff pete posted is great as well, but the oysters for me especially. Milk + potatoes and some oysters every now and then should have everything you need, assuming you like eating that way.

BingDing

Milk/greek yogurt, simple syrup and fruit juice for macronutrients/calcium. I supplement a lot of orthomolecular micronutrients.

As I verge into geezerhood my appetite for eggs, beef, fish, shellfish has pretty much evaporated. A good pork chop is the notable exception.

tara

welshwing said:
post 108193 I'm trying to build a diet but haven't ever explored Ray Peat's site, too long. I read this thread a while ago viewtopic.php?t=5902 it said honey is better than orange juice so I substituted them and started taking a vitamin C supplement. But then I realized OJ has a lot of OTHER nutrients in it, I thought OJ was just sugar and vitamin C so honey + Vit C is not enough to replace OJ.... but I prefer honey or cane sugar MUCH more as a carb source, It's so easy to get carbs eating that stuff.

It was not Peat's view, and it did not mean that honey was generally better tahn OJ for most people, just for that poster. That poster also drank beet juice to ensure he got other nutrients that he did not gwt from sugar. If you avoid any food that someone reacts badly to, there will not be anything left to eat. Unless you react badly to OJ, I'd include at least some. That doesn't mean you have to use it for all your carbs.
I agree with the others that milk and potatoes can probably give you a lot of what you need, if they agree with you. An d I agree with the others that it's a good idea to add a few other things from time to time, even if milk and potatoes are the bulk of your diet. If you handle peeled and well-cooked potatoes OK, then I wouldn't bother with the time consuming process of juicing them all the time, if that is what you are doing? An intermediate choice might be slicing and boiling spuds and drinking the water they cooked in.

Personally, I get a lot of my nutrients from orange juice, apple juice, potatoes, eggs, beef, lamb, fruit, veges, liver, fish, prawns, a very occasional oyster (would eat more if they weren't so expensive), sucrose, honey, commercial chocolate and sweets (I thinks it would be fine to eat a littel of these, but probably not optimal to eat lots, unless you can't find a better way to nourish). I keep trying to have more milk, but it still doesn't seem to work for me to have more than a little. I also supplement vitamins, oystershell, magnesium, occasional zinc.

I don't think you can get an accurate view of Peat's views without reading or listening to the man himself. We all interpret and emphasise different things, and have our own other ideas that sometimes get expressed here. The articles may take a bit of effort and rereading; the interviews are easier.

Last edited by a moderator:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals