What's Wrong With Sweet Potatoes?

A

Anonymous

Ray says theyre hard to digest, but what makes them different from white potatoes?

Zachs

If you mean white flesh sweet potatoes, I find them an excellent source of calories, very nutritious and if cooked long enough usually about half sugar. Yams or orange flesh "sweet potatoes" are loaded with beta carotene and are best to be avoided.

Where did Ray say that? I've only ever heard him say he doesn't like the carotene. Nonetheless, they are a superfood:

"The Tukisenta tribe in New Guinea: According to Trowell and Burkitt in their book Western Diseases, the Tukisenta ate a diet consisting mostly of sweet potatoes, which was a whopping 94% carbohydrate. The men ate about 2,300 calories each day and the women ate about 1,770 calories each day. The scientists who went to study this tribe found them to be fit, lean, and muscular.

Kitava: Up until very recently—the 1990s—the people of the South Pacific island of Kitava had not been influenced by the Western diet and had continued eating the traditional diet that they’d eaten for centuries. Dr. Staffan Lindeberg researched this population heavily during the 1990s and found that their diet consisted mostly of taro, sweet potatoes, cassava, fruit, coconut, and seafood. They ate about 50g a day of unrefined sugar from fruit. Their diet came in at a whopping 69% carbohydrate. Lindeberg found that there were literally no cases of overweight or obesity on the entire island! The lone individual who was slightly overweight had left the island for several years to go live in the city. You may also be interested to know that their fasting insulin level (a measure of insulin resistance and diabetes) was extremely low, and that diabetes and heart disease were unheard of on the island. A diet that is 69% carbohydrates and not a single person on the island has diabetes, and not a single person was even overweight, let alone obese. Lindeberg’s excellent research on the Kitavans makes it very clear that large consumption of carbohydrates does not cause overweight and obesity. 127

The Okinawans: They eat a diet made up of a whopping 85% carbohydrates (9% protein, 6% fat), mainly from starchy sweet potatoes, and had minimal incidence of diabetes prior to Westernization.226"

Whitten, Ari; Smith MD, Wade (2015-02-05). The Low Carb Myth: Free Yourself from Carb Myths, and Discover the Secret Keys That Really Determine Your Health and Fat Loss Destiny (Kindle Locations 2373-2390). Archangel Ink. Kindle Edition.

pboy

theyre the most balanced and near complete food there is other than milk...they're missing a little selenium and iodine and b12, else theyre complete. Problem is, they give huge gas, like amongst the worse of starches, seemingly more the orange ones but white also...its from resistant starch, even if eaten fresh and mashed, and also they have mannitol, a sugar alcohol. If you're like working outside, chillin at home, basically in loose clothing and able to move and stand then its whatever, up to you, if you have to be sitting, studying, or gonna be playing a sport or meditating or something else like that that requires a stability and flexibility, they aren't ideal on gas alone...maybe it doesn't matter to other people but to me its a significant issue, fermentation causes breaks in the thought flow and Is just annoying and irritating and tightening
They're also too salty for me, but again, most people wouldn't notice or care, the amount seems miniscule, but when you are living on a low sodium diet and freshen your palate, its quite obvious. Last time I ate a large one it took me the whole next day and into the day after that before the salty taste wasn't present in my saliva

Do what you wish, comparatively, they are one of the best foods, if youre going for high performance at that moment, you could skip them. I think I have a different aspiration and demand for how I feel inside than 99.9999% of people, so you could just say im too picky, in which case, if you don't mind a little bit of gut stuff, nutrient wise, they are the probably the top starch food and even better than most fruit, and more reliable. Im aware almost every food on the planet has some kind of trade off, theres almost nothing that's actually...in fact, I don't think there is anything that's perfect in of itself, and theres very few things that are actually totally pure, so...relatively, they're up high on the list. You'd never get diabetes or diseases or get sick eating them as part of your diet, in fact...they're so abundant in some b vitamins and potassium they could help to buffer other less than optimal foods you're eating

Nicholas

pboy said:
theyre the most balanced and near complete food there is other than milk...they're missing a little selenium and iodine and b12, else theyre complete. Problem is, they give huge gas, like amongst the worse of starches, seemingly more the orange ones but white also...its from resistant starch, even if eaten fresh and mashed, and also they have mannitol, a sugar alcohol. If you're like working outside, chillin at home, basically in loose clothing and able to move and stand then its whatever, up to you, if you have to be sitting, studying, or gonna be playing a sport or meditating or something else like that that requires a stability and flexibility, they aren't ideal on gas alone...maybe it doesn't matter to other people but to me its a significant issue, fermentation causes breaks in the thought flow and Is just annoying and irritating and tightening
They're also too salty for me, but again, most people wouldn't notice or care, the amount seems miniscule, but when you are living on a low sodium diet and freshen your palate, its quite obvious. Last time I ate a large one it took me the whole next day and into the day after that before the salty taste wasn't present in my saliva

Do what you wish, comparatively, they are one of the best foods, if youre going for high performance at that moment, you could skip them. I think I have a different aspiration and demand for how I feel inside than 99.9999% of people, so you could just say im too picky, in which case, if you don't mind a little bit of gut stuff, nutrient wise, they are the probably the top starch food and even better than most fruit, and more reliable. Im aware almost every food on the planet has some kind of trade off, theres almost nothing that's actually...in fact, I don't think there is anything that's perfect in of itself, and theres very few things that are actually totally pure, so...relatively, they're up high on the list. You'd never get diabetes or diseases or get sick eating them as part of your diet, in fact...they're so abundant in some b vitamins and potassium they could help to buffer other less than optimal foods you're eating

i've started including them in my diet. Just one a week - mixed with potatoes, turnips, and parsnips. i've heard smokers should stay away from beta carotene, otherwise i'd eat more probably. they are so satisfying if cooked right and with enough butter. i haven't noticed them irritating at all or causing a break in thought, but i've only recently begun to be aware of such things.

pboy

yea that's what I mean, its not something I ever would have used to notice but then I got sensitive cause of various things over time and now being used to stability something like that bothers me

I dunno where you live and whats available but you could eat like an orange one every few days and go the other days with white ones. As you'll probably notice though, a huge portion of beta carotene isn't absorbed, its trapped in the fiber even when cooked...you can tell the next day when it gets eliminated. Its probably only a third or so that gets absorbed, if I had to guess.

I have a feeling that people actually can detox beta carotene very easy, I mean we're talking a few miligrams at most even if you ate HUGE anmounts, each day. For your body to conjugate that all and eliminate it would be like nothing. The people who accumulate it probably are under eating, have an impaired metabolism for one reason or another, and their liver is probably backed up with many other toxins like pufas

EIRE24

pboy said:
yea that's what I mean, its not something I ever would have used to notice but then I got sensitive cause of various things over time and now being used to stability something like that bothers me

I dunno where you live and whats available but you could eat like an orange one every few days and go the other days with white ones. As you'll probably notice though, a huge portion of beta carotene isn't absorbed, its trapped in the fiber even when cooked...you can tell the next day when it gets eliminated. Its probably only a third or so that gets absorbed, if I had to guess.

I have a feeling that people actually can detox beta carotene very easy, I mean we're talking a few miligrams at most even if you ate HUGE anmounts, each day. For your body to conjugate that all and eliminate it would be like nothing. The people who accumulate it probably are under eating, have an impaired metabolism for one reason or another, and their liver is probably backed up with many other toxins like pufas

I would agree that people who have under eaten or an impaired metabolism will have trouble with the beta carotene. I under ate for a couple years and when I recently had blood tests done my beta carotene came back way over the normal range and was mostly from eating too many sweet potatoes. I'm not sure what would be best to improve this but I would love to know your thoughts Pboy

Tom

One point to be made about these traditional people on Kitava etc is that they were often very small. According to Lindeberg the average male was 162 cm, and the females only 150 cm. So one should take this into account when considering the caloric intake. 2000 kcal for them would be more like 2500 kcal for us. Another point is the very high intake of soluble fiber which effectively increases short chain fatty acids, so one may add 5% or even more of energy as fat.

Jennifer

Westside PUFAs said:
Where did Ray say that? I've only ever heard him say he doesn't like the carotene.
What pboy said about them promoting gas. They're effective promoters of bacteria in Ray's opinion. Here's what he wrote me in an email back in February:

"Low cholesterol can be caused by intestinal inflammation, and starches are a common cause. Sweet potatoes are effective promoters of bacterial growth, rice and potatoes can cause gas especially if they aren't well cooked."

I even specified the white fleshed Japanese sweet potatoes when I asked him. But oh my gosh! They're addicting! I ate them everyday for two years straight with a tiny bit of coconut cream, salt and garlic powder added. Heaven!

Tom said:
One point to be made about these traditional people on Kitava etc is that they were often very small. According to Lindeberg the average male was 162 cm, and the females only 150 cm. So one should take this into account when considering the caloric intake. 2000 kcal for them would be more like 2500 kcal for us. Another point is the very high intake of soluble fiber which effectively increases short chain fatty acids, so one may add 5% or even more of energy as fat.

I want to be small. I'm just shy of 5'11" so they are a good calorie source to stay small, body fat wise. I'm not interested in being a swoldier. Once you become big, like I did, it gives you perspective. I don't want to be big, I want that lean body. You don't know about something until it happens to you.

Jennifer said:
Westside PUFAs said:
Where did Ray say that? I've only ever heard him say he doesn't like the carotene.
What pboy said about them promoting gas. They're effective promoters of bacteria in Ray's opinion. Here's what he wrote me in an email back in February:

"Low cholesterol can be caused by intestinal inflammation, and starches are a common cause. Sweet potatoes are effective promoters of bacterial growth, rice and potatoes can cause gas especially if they aren't well cooked."

I even specified the white fleshed Japanese sweet potatoes when I asked him. But oh my gosh! They're addicting! I ate them everyday for two years straight with a tiny bit of coconut cream, salt and garlic powder added. Heaven!

This whole thing about eating undercooked vegetables and undercooked starch is so weird. Who the hell eats these foods undercooked? Only silly people, that's who.

Everyone also ignores this quote:

“Bacteria thrive on starches that aren’t quickly digested, and the bacteria convert the energy into bulk, and stimulate the intestine. (But at the same time, they are making the toxins that affect the hormones.)” - Ray Peat

Keywords there, quickly digested. Good thing the starch I eat is quickly digested. There is a difference between flour products and un-milled starch. The method of grinding corn in traditional Native America and in Kenya for Ugali is different than putting corn through a milling machine.

It should be no surprise that eating starch with butter/sour cream causes gas. I don't get gas because I don't add dairy to the starch. Most people aren't willing to do it that way.

jyb

Westside PUFAs said:
It should be no surprise that eating starch with butter/sour cream causes gas. I don't get gas because I don't add dairy to the starch. Most people aren't willing to do it that way.

If I have to eat starch or vegetables, butter would be one of my top protection. Ray talks a lot about sat fat being a helpful anti-biotic in the gut. But I think it's probably just helping digestion so the starch has a short transit and less time to ferment. I have no opinion about sour cream, but definitely never noticed gas from it when I add it to food in general. But more gas with butter? It should really be the opposite.

Jennifer

Westside PUFAs said:
Jennifer said:

This whole thing about eating undercooked vegetables and undercooked starch is so weird. Who the hell eats these foods undercooked? Only silly people, that's who.

Everyone also ignores this quote:

“Bacteria thrive on starches that aren’t quickly digested, and the bacteria convert the energy into bulk, and stimulate the intestine. (But at the same time, they are making the toxins that affect the hormones.)” - Ray Peat

Keywords there, quickly digested. Good thing the starch I eat is quickly digested. There is a difference between flour products and un-milled starch. The method of grinding corn in traditional Native America and in Kenya for Ugali is different than putting corn through a milling machine.

Nope! I haven't ignored that quote you posted, WP. I've pondered it many times because of what Ray has also said about the negatives of persorption. It confused me how starch being fully absorbed was good in one context, but then bad in another. I'm probably not understanding it correctly. Anyhow, reread what Ray wrote me. The key word being "especially" if they aren't well cooked. That means they still feed bacteria that cause gas. Sure, the starch present may be absorbed quickly, but I wonder about the fiber? Would it feed bacteria and perhaps this is what Ray is referring too?

And just for the record, there are those of us who enjoy starches even without added fat. When transitioning to 80/10/10, I ate cooked starches for that first year without any fat added. And when transitioning off it, I went back to cooked starches without added fat and ate them that way for the next four years or so. I love starch as is, especially sweet potatoes and winter squash. I'm not at all hating on starch, just quoting what Ray wrote me.

Here are 116 quotes by Ray Peat on endotoxin:

http://www.functionalps.com/blog/2012/1 ... endotoxin/

Out of 116 quotes, only 2 mention starch. Two.

Use your browsers search page option and search for starch.

“Bacteria thrive on starches that aren’t quickly digested, and the bacteria convert the energy into bulk, and stimulate the intestine. (But at the same time, they are making the toxins that affect the hormones.)”

"Bacterial endotoxin increases serotonin release from the intestine, and increases its synthesis in the brain (Nolan, et al., 2000) and liver (Endo, 1983). It also stimulates its release from platelets, and reduces the lungs’ ability to destroy it. The formation of serotonin in the intestine is also stimulated by the lactate, propionate and butyrate that are formed by bacteria fermenting fiber and starch, but these bacteria also produce endotoxin. The inflammation-producing effects of lactate, serotonin, and endotoxin are overlapping, additive, and sometimes synergistic, along with histamine, nitric oxide, bradykinin, and the cytokines."

“Two pounds of well-cooked mashed potato has the protein value similar to a liter of milk, about 33 grams of protein. A person would be able to live for a long time on two or three liters of either milk or 4-6 pounds of potatoes per day. The milk drinker would eventually need to supplement iron, the potato eaters would need to supplement vitamin A, possibly B12, but both of them are nearly perfect foods.” - Ray Peat

OP
A

Anonymous

> Hi Dr. Peat,
>
> What is your recommendation for the best way to treat chronic hemorrhoids? I have had itchiness in the anus for at least 5 years now, and nothing seems to work effectively.
>
> Your time is greatly appreciated.
>
> Thank you.

"It usually involves inflammation of the intestine, so avoiding foods that are hard to digest/that support bacterial growth will often stop the problem. Sweet potatoes, green salads, breads are typical problematic foods."

Jennifer

Westside PUFAs said:
Here are 116 quotes by Ray Peat on endotoxin:

http://www.functionalps.com/blog/2012/1 ... endotoxin/

Out of 116 quotes, only 2 mention starch. Two.

Use your browsers search page option and search for starch.

“Bacteria thrive on starches that aren’t quickly digested, and the bacteria convert the energy into bulk, and stimulate the intestine. (But at the same time, they are making the toxins that affect the hormones.)”

"Bacterial endotoxin increases serotonin release from the intestine, and increases its synthesis in the brain (Nolan, et al., 2000) and liver (Endo, 1983). It also stimulates its release from platelets, and reduces the lungs’ ability to destroy it. The formation of serotonin in the intestine is also stimulated by the lactate, propionate and butyrate that are formed by bacteria fermenting fiber and starch, but these bacteria also produce endotoxin. The inflammation-producing effects of lactate, serotonin, and endotoxin are overlapping, additive, and sometimes synergistic, along with histamine, nitric oxide, bradykinin, and the cytokines."
Thanks, WP! Yes, I've already looked through the endotoxin quotes on functionalalps. I've also done a search through the RayPeat search engine on the toxinless site and read transcripts of Ray's interviews. I won't go posting all the quotes since narouz has already compiled a fair amount of Ray's quotes on starches in a thread recently.

Your experience with starch obviously is positive and I'm not at all trying to dismiss it nor am I'm saying Ray is right or wrong in his opinion about them. I'm only posting what seems to be his current stance based on what he wrote me this past February. He clearly thinks they promote bacteria and gas even if well cooked.

The video Tom posted, you've most likely listened to, but starting at minutes 12:15, sugars that are easily digested and rapidly absorb in the upper intestine are discussed (fruit, honey, white sugar and lactose) and they go on to discuss potatoes and the use of butter as a defense against its starch and quote "the starch is less likely to become toxic material for the bacteria because the butter will suppress bacterial growth." It's clear what Ray thinks about starch, even from potatoes. Add to that JRMoney15's exchange with Ray which I'm assuming is also more recent than the milk versus 4-6 pounds of potatoes quote.

Bread is a milled flour product that is made with oil and always consumed with something else. That something else may also be a problem. Traditional cultures lived off of sweet potato as I pointed out so that from that what you will. When he says eat potato with butter, he's looking at it from an angle of not having them often. He's looking at it from the POV of having a daily diet of low fat milk and fruit or OJ. For people who eat them almost everyday, adding butter everyday would be too much fat.

""There isn't anything wrong with a high carbohydrate diet, and even a high starch diet isn't necessarily incompatible with good health, but when better foods are available they should be used instead of starches." - RP

Obviously with that quote, he thinks low fat milk and fruit are better, but nonetheless one can use them if they wish. But at the same time, as with many scientists, his quotes are also little contradictory, such as the milk versus 4-6 pounds of potatoes and nearly perfect foods quote. And even if that quote is old, which I'm not sure it is, a little over one year ago he still said potatoes are almost a perfect food on the OneRadioNetwork show in January of 2014.

JRMoney15 said:
> Hi Dr. Peat,
>
> What is your recommendation for the best way to treat chronic hemorrhoids? I have had itchiness in the anus for at least 5 years now, and nothing seems to work effectively.
>
> Your time is greatly appreciated.
>
> Thank you.

"It usually involves inflammation of the intestine, so avoiding foods that are hard to digest/that support bacterial growth will often stop the problem. Sweet potatoes, green salads, breads are typical problematic foods."

Can you please forward that email to someone like Dan Wich who can verify that it is really sent from RP's email? Thanks.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals