Whats up with salt causing me such turmoil?

Uselis

Basically anytime I put like even 1/4 of teaspoon in my oatmeal I have rapid heartbeat, breathing becomes laboured, thirst sets in and I am guaranteed to have nightmare. Feels like some sort of paralysing panic around 12-1am, fortunately short lived.

My diet is gallon plus 2.5% milk, oatmeal, coffee, yolks, honey, boiled veggies and lean fish.

I wouldn't bother to ask but here salt to be known for his positive effects yet for me even very small amount wrecks havoc.

Why could it be?

youngsinatra

You probably eat more than 1/4 of a teaspoon of salt on the other meals as well or don't you?
Maybe it's not the salt, but the oatmeal? I get endotoxin-symptoms from them and those seem to impact my psychological state quite a lot.

OP
U

Uselis

You probably eat more than 1/4 of a teaspoon of salt on the other meals as well or don't you?
Maybe it's not the salt, but the oatmeal? I get endotoxin-symptoms from them and those seem to impact my psychological state quite a lot.
I tried numerous different starch sources and oatmeal only one which does not affect me negatively.

I guess I should of added additional salt since all foods contains naturally occuring salt.

youngsinatra

I tried numerous different starch sources and oatmeal only one which does not affect me negatively.

I guess I should of added additional salt since all foods contains naturally occuring salt.
Okay interesting! I consume sometimes 20-30g of salt a day, if I salt to taste. I often use almost a full teaspoon on a meal.
But supplying sufficient amounts of magnesium, potassium and calcium are crucial for me. Especially magnesium.

boris

Do you have the problem when drinking a salty soup or salted cheese? I only get problems with salt when I mix it with fiber. I think it carries it further down the gut where I have irritation.

OP
U

Uselis

Do you have the problem when drinking a salty soup or salted cheese? I only get problems with salt when I mix it with fiber. I think it carries it further down the gut where I have irritation.
Good point. If I'd sip salty water or as you say eat cheese - no problem. But if I sprinkle on starch dish it's going to be chaotic.

I'd agree with starch being more problematic then salt itsef but I am yet to figure out no starch template with demanding job. Thats topic on it's own ☺

Jessie

Are you sure it's the salt and not the oatmeal? It's probably got something to do with intestinal permeability, but my first suspect would be the oats. Salt is actually a known protector against permeability (blood vessels) in animal models, even against some very nasty agents like carrageenan.

This study analyzes the effects of treatment with a hyperosmotic NaCl solution on carrageenan-induced inflammatory edema and vascular permeability in rats. Given 15 min before carrageenan, this treatment reduced paw edema measured for up to 6 h by 27 to 44%. Similarly, when the rats were treated 30 min after injection of the irritant, paw volume was significantly reduced (35 to 53%) between 1 and 6 h when compared to that of untreated animals. Increases in vascular permeability were significantly reduced at 30 min (73%) and 1 h (54%) in rats treated 15 min before, and at 1 h (49%) in animals treated 30 min after carrageenan. Treatment with hyperosmotic mannitol or isotonic NaCl solutions did not show any changes in inflammatory response to carrageenan. These data suggest that chemical mediator(s) of inflammation may be involved in the mechanism(s) of action of a hyperosmotic NaCl solution on the acute inflammatory response.

OP
U

Uselis

Are you sure it's the salt and not the oatmeal? It's probably got something to do with intestinal permeability, but my first suspect would be the oats. Salt is actually a known protector against permeability (blood vessels) in animal models, even against some very nasty agents like carrageenan.

This study analyzes the effects of treatment with a hyperosmotic NaCl solution on carrageenan-induced inflammatory edema and vascular permeability in rats. Given 15 min before carrageenan, this treatment reduced paw edema measured for up to 6 h by 27 to 44%. Similarly, when the rats were treated 30 min after injection of the irritant, paw volume was significantly reduced (35 to 53%) between 1 and 6 h when compared to that of untreated animals. Increases in vascular permeability were significantly reduced at 30 min (73%) and 1 h (54%) in rats treated 15 min before, and at 1 h (49%) in animals treated 30 min after carrageenan. Treatment with hyperosmotic mannitol or isotonic NaCl solutions did not show any changes in inflammatory response to carrageenan. These data suggest that chemical mediator(s) of inflammation may be involved in the mechanism(s) of action of a hyperosmotic NaCl solution on the acute inflammatory response.
I can't say I am 100% positive on this but yesterday ate oatmeals before sleep without salt and slept full night without dreaming.

The most profound factor for me it seems nightmare occurance albeit short lived. It happened numerous times (even when I'd have starchless meal before sleep). I am thinking perhaps it's just dehydration issue?

dabdabdab

salt can create problem in tight junctions. if you have leaky gut it could damage you further.
also in some people it can create high adrenaline and disturp your sleep.
the effect of salt depends on lots of other factors

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom