What's Up With Low Ferritin?

bradley

I've tested Ferritin both before and after eating Peaty. It's been a low 18 on a range of 20-345 ng/mL. Iron is usually around 90 on a scale of 40-155. Is this low ferritin level something to take action on? If so, how? My diet is fairly iron rich, and I'm weary of any kind of iron supplement.

Thanks!

J

j.

I think low ferritin is something to celebrate, at least in some situations, from a Peatarian perspective.

narouz

j. said:
I think low ferritin is something to celebrate, at least in some situations, from a Peatarian perspective.

Absolutely!
There is some debate about how accurately the Ferritin test
reflects iron stores in the body.
But generally speaking,
you're Ferritin count is celebration worthy!

My Ferritin was around 380 about 8 months ago,
and 800-something about 3 months ago.... :shock:

Birdie

bradley said:
I've tested Ferritin both before and after eating Peaty. It's been a low 18 on a range of 20-345 ng/mL. Iron is usually around 90 on a scale of 40-155. Is this low ferritin level something to take action on? If so, how? My diet is fairly iron rich, and I'm weary of any kind of iron supplement.

Thanks!
Bradley,
Just thought you might like to know that in 2008, the ferritin normals in BC, were 15 - 180 ng/ml, according to my lab sheet from Life Labs. I had a 29.

In 2012 in WA state, the reference range, show on my report, is 10 - 120. And I have a note written on it saying the older reference range was 9 - 29.5. I looked it up because mine was only 7.

It looks like the reference ranges have been adjusted. I think the higher reference range might reflect newer, higher levels of iron in the population.

18 doesn't seem too low to me. I think 9 is a good value, as in the lowest in the old reference range.

skycop00

I thought you folks would like to take a look at my DUTCH urine test. We have plenty to look at including DHEA, PG, T, Cortisol/Cortisone to include metabolites. Methylation is also included. A world of information and I have switched from the old saliva to this so we can see how the body is performing. I wanted to share because many of you are working on metabolic issues and this test opens a window into some processes. Enjoy...

Attachments

• LLABRES_dutch_01282016.pdf
    604.3 KB · Views: 40

ejalrp

Dr. Romeo Mariano who is very highly regarded by many patients is a big advocate of keeping an adequate ferritin level and it's one of the first blood tests he orders. I believe dopamine requires adequate ferritin to function. He is also a fan of liver and organ meats.

golder

Dr. Romeo Mariano who is very highly regarded by many patients is a big advocate of keeping an adequate ferritin level and it's one of the first blood tests he orders. I believe dopamine requires adequate ferritin to function. He is also a fan of liver and organ meats.
Has Ray ever mentioned what he thinks the ideal ferritin range is? I'm nowhere even near the lowest end of the range.

golder

Has Ray ever mentioned what he thinks the ideal ferritin range is? I'm nowhere even near the lowest end of the range.
Did you ever get an answer to this. I’m also no where near the bottom of the range and want to know if it’s a cause for concern