What's Up With Low Ferritin?

bradley

I've tested Ferritin both before and after eating Peaty. It's been a low 18 on a range of 20-345 ng/mL. Iron is usually around 90 on a scale of 40-155. Is this low ferritin level something to take action on? If so, how? My diet is fairly iron rich, and I'm weary of any kind of iron supplement.

Thanks!

J

j.

I think low ferritin is something to celebrate, at least in some situations, from a Peatarian perspective.

narouz

j. said:
I think low ferritin is something to celebrate, at least in some situations, from a Peatarian perspective.

Absolutely!
There is some debate about how accurately the Ferritin test
reflects iron stores in the body.
But generally speaking,
you're Ferritin count is celebration worthy!

My Ferritin was around 380 about 8 months ago,
and 800-something about 3 months ago.... :shock:

Birdie

bradley said:
I've tested Ferritin both before and after eating Peaty. It's been a low 18 on a range of 20-345 ng/mL. Iron is usually around 90 on a scale of 40-155. Is this low ferritin level something to take action on? If so, how? My diet is fairly iron rich, and I'm weary of any kind of iron supplement.

Thanks!
Bradley,
Just thought you might like to know that in 2008, the ferritin normals in BC, were 15 - 180 ng/ml, according to my lab sheet from Life Labs. I had a 29.

In 2012 in WA state, the reference range, show on my report, is 10 - 120. And I have a note written on it saying the older reference range was 9 - 29.5. I looked it up because mine was only 7.

It looks like the reference ranges have been adjusted. I think the higher reference range might reflect newer, higher levels of iron in the population.

18 doesn't seem too low to me. I think 9 is a good value, as in the lowest in the old reference range.

skycop00

I thought you folks would like to take a look at my DUTCH urine test. We have plenty to look at including DHEA, PG, T, Cortisol/Cortisone to include metabolites. Methylation is also included. A world of information and I have switched from the old saliva to this so we can see how the body is performing. I wanted to share because many of you are working on metabolic issues and this test opens a window into some processes. Enjoy...

Attachments

• LLABRES_dutch_01282016.pdf
    604.3 KB · Views: 31

Koveras

Thanks!

Aspirin?

Aspirin lowers serum ferritin levels

ejalrp

Dr. Romeo Mariano who is very highly regarded by many patients is a big advocate of keeping an adequate ferritin level and it's one of the first blood tests he orders. I believe dopamine requires adequate ferritin to function. He is also a fan of liver and organ meats.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
M Low Ferritin Symptoms? Metabolism 4
G Low Iron With High Ferritin - How Do I Interpret This? Ask For Help or Advice 13
M Low Ferritin & Copper Levels Ask For Help or Advice 3
D Low Copper, Iron And Ferritin Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 6
tigerlily96 Low Iron, Low Ferritin Blood Work, Labs 7
I High Ferritin - Low Testosterone (help Please) Blood Work, Labs 23
R Low Ferritin, Breathlessness And Racing Heart Blood Work, Labs 7
J Low Ferritin, High Iron Saturation Dilemma Supplements 11
Hans Excess PUFAs and low saturated fat could contribute to dementia Scientific Studies 0
Hans The pendulum is swinging back - low fat diets are back in business Scientific Studies 4
Luann What have you done to go Slow / Low Tech? Miscellaneous 5
J Best way to deal with hypoglycemia due to low cortisol? Blood Sugar 1
Lokzo Low prolactin levels are associated with visceral adipocyte hypertrophy and insulin resistance in humans - PUBMED 2020 Scientific Studies 6
Mauritio Autism caused by low allopregnenolone , chinese herb can treat Autism 26
V HPA Dysfunction ( Low Dhea-s) Former Anabolics User ( Bloodwork Included) Ask For Help or Advice 4
Jam Applying Peat Principles To Low-Carb High-Saturated Fat: Incredible Results Discussing Dietary Models 20
Twohandsondeck Low body temperature + death in the Bible (1 Kings 1:1) Meditation, Mindfullness, Religion, Spirituality 20
M Low carb high fat (pre T3) VS high carb low fat (taking 3 drops of tyronene upon waking) Logs 7
S Low dose aspirin to treat inflamation induced insulin resisitance? Blood Sugar 1
R Low-dose copper with glycine and proline or gelatin for collagen? Ask For Help or Advice 2
TacoVampire Blood work/ endo/ fatigue / low iron Blood Work, Labs 5
H low stomach acid and low libido issues Digestion 10
M New phone coming this spring with super low sar value Radiation 4
W High DHEA but low testosterone? Blood Work, Labs 3
G Should fructose be minimized if one already has low ATP? Metabolism 12
Frankdee20 Low Fat versus Low Carb for Weight Loss ? Diet 49
P best e ink display? low emf and easy on the eyes. Eyes, Ears, Nose and Headaches/Migraines 9
T Low CO2 being my issue??? Male Issues 6
GelatinGoblin Low-Moderate sugar meal with no Protein, Serotonin inducing? Ask For Help or Advice 5
F ""Low Serum AM Cortisol The Cause Of My Problems?"" Doubts About Milk 70
paciencia Low Stomach Acid/Bloating/Silent Reflux Ask For Help or Advice 7
J Thought on Iodine - Low heart rate Metabolism 1
I 2004 patent for low PUFA eggs Dairy, Eggs 24
F Low confidence Mental Issues 2
S Raising cortisol while on low carb Cortisol, Serotonin, Histamine 4
haidut Heart attack survivors have high stress (cortisol/adrenaline) hypersensitivity, low androgens Scientific Studies 2
haidut Low energy production (glucose metabolism) may cause andropause Scientific Studies 0
M High testosterone low libido Diet 23
G Very low androgens but no sexual issues Sexuality 13
M Supplement Calcium when PTH is low? Calcium 8
G Any ideas on how to boost chronic low red blood count? Ask For Help or Advice 8
P feeling much better on a very low calorie diet Diet 23
A Low Body Temperature Ask For Help or Advice 0
Bogdar Low PTH, Low D, High Calcium - How Is It Possible? Blood Work, Labs 13
M Restore Low T3 And Low T Thyroid and Hormones 3
IVILA Feeling Really Lazy, Low Libido, And Tired Lately. Need Help Male Issues 5
David PS Low Ambient Humidity Impairs Barrier Function And Innate Resistance Against Influenza Infection Articles & Scientific Studies 0
Starship Is It Possible To Keep Metabolism High And MTOR Low? Metabolism 2
U What's Worse High Fat No Starch Or Low Fat Higher Starch? Diet 14
J Fat And "LOW" Estrogen/low Libido After Andro/pansterone/VitE Ask For Help or Advice 28