Whats the verdict on Niacin/Niacinamide?

Collden

For what situations/conditions is it useful? When and at what doses is it harmful? Is Niacin or Niacinamide better? Does anyone who has experimented with either actually recommend its use?

Ash

Niacinamide (taken orally) has been proven to help with Actinic Keratosis. It has worked for me.

B

Braveheart

Best search Niacinamide on Forum...the answers to all your questions are there.

B

Blaze

For what situations/conditions is it useful? When and at what doses is it harmful? Is Niacin or Niacinamide better? Does anyone who has experimented with either actually recommend its use?
I strongly recommend it's use. Niacinamide has been shown to assist energy production by assisting the citric acid cycle (krebs cycle) in producing ATP. Nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NAD+) and nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide phosphate (NADP+) play key roles as carriers of electrons in the transfer of reduction potential. I take it daily.

Last edited by a moderator:

Grischbal

Niacinamide has been shown to assist energy production by assisting the citric acid cycle (krebs cycle) in producing ATP
Could one offset the negatives of citric acid in soft drinks with niacinamide ?

OP
C

Collden

Best search Niacinamide on Forum...the answers to all your questions are there.
My impression from reading various threads on this is that most people do not have a good experience with either Niacin or Niacinamide, but forming an impression like this may be inaccurate since most people only make a post when they have a problem.

Ash

I think you are onto something - my experience with Niacinamide has been only positive. There are a lot of sick and unhealthy people on this board and their comments do skew the perception of those visiting here.

B

Blaze

Could one offset the negatives of citric acid in soft drinks with niacinamide ?
Anything that strengthens energy production will make the cells way more effective in clearing any bad metabolite products (waste) from the body. So, yes. Metabolic enhancers like niacinamide or methylene blue or even proper sugar and salt intake will be protective. Of course, the real answer would be to avoid citric acid but hard to do since it is now quite ubiquitous in foods in addition to the soft drinks you mentioned.

B

Braveheart

My impression from reading various threads on this is that most people do not have a good experience with either Niacin or Niacinamide, but forming an impression like this may be inaccurate since most people only make a post when they have a problem.
Agreed, That's why I usually read only Haidut's input/research.

OP
C

Collden

Began experimenting with taking 50mg Niacinamide per day at breakfast. This is day 3. So far I feel some GI upset like nausea, belching and much increased gas, also much increased thirst and need to urinate at night, also feel like my mood suffers more if I don't have enough carbs. No significant benefits so far really except maybe reduced bloating in the morning.

Is this normal? Does it take time for Niacinamide to work?

OP
C

Collden

So after taking 50mg Niacinamide every morning for 5 days I not only had steadily worsening digestive problems like belching/bloating/gas and a continuing uneasy feeling including simultaneous fatigue and anxiety throughout the day, but this morning I started to feel some actual sharp pain around my liver as well. Done with this supplement.

B

Blaze

So after taking 50mg Niacinamide every morning for 5 days I not only had steadily worsening digestive problems like belching/bloating/gas and a continuing uneasy feeling including simultaneous fatigue and anxiety throughout the day, but this morning I started to feel some actual sharp pain around my liver as well. Done with this supplement.
It is well tolerated by most individuals.....I never have any of the issues you mention. What brand of niacinamide are you using? Interesting how differently people can react to the same supplement. You are trying to benefit your health....not the reverse. So, listen to your body and based on the adverse reactions you are having I would discontinue use right away.

Things you could try:

Get your niacinamide from foods high in that ingredient - such as liver or chicken breast instead of supplementing
Or maybe taking that supplement in isolation is not working for you , so you could try a B complex formula with all 8 B vitamins. Just steer away from mega dose supplements as your body has to work hard to excrete the excess vitamins it doesn't need.

Perry Staltic

Does 50 mg of nicotinic acid do the same thing?

Does 50 mg of nicotinic acid do the same thing?
I'm curious as well, because some people had success with niacin instead of niacinamide, especially for digestive issues.

Also, trying a different brand of niacinamide is worthwhile too.

OP
C

Collden

I've not tried Niacin because it seems most people (including Peat and haidut) advise against it. Many sources say you should use more like hundreds to thousands of milligrams so I was not expecting to see much of anything from 50mg, disappointed that even such a small dose affected me so badly.

Perry Staltic

I've not tried Niacin because it seems most people (including Peat and haidut) advise against it.

The main reason that it is not recommended, that I've been able to discern, is because of the flush, which is a nothingburger. 50 mg may, but probably won't, cause a flush.

B

Braveheart

I think you are onto something - my experience with Niacinamide has been only positive. There are a lot of sick and unhealthy people on this board and their comments do skew the perception of those visiting here.
:darts:

I've not tried Niacin because it seems most people (including Peat and haidut) advise against it. Many sources say you should use more like hundreds to thousands of milligrams so I was not expecting to see much of anything from 50mg, disappointed that even such a small dose affected me so badly.
You can try using niacin a couple of times without causing long lasting damage, especially in small doses. If you feel side- effects, just stop using it.

You could also try taking some trimethylglycine, thatwould rule out the undermethylation factor.

Niacinamide is great - it lowers free fatty acids, increases nad, acts on the gabaa receptors like benzos, inhibits sirtuins, and helps the liver detoxify estrogens. I think niacin raises cortisol and serotonin (at supplemental doses).