Whats the verdict on Niacin/Niacinamide?

lvysaur

Niacinamide is great - it lowers free fatty acids, increases nad, acts on the gabaa receptors like benzos, inhibits sirtuins
sirtuins? What's the importance of those?

sirtuins? What's the importance of those?
The gene resveratrol is famous for potently activating and supposedly increasing longevity. It promotes cancer and is estrogenic, thus blocking via niacinamide is therapeutic. This gene is also activated by caloric restriction, go figure...

@Incen

When is the best time to take Niacinamide? before, during or after the meal?

Thanks

Tzheng2012

I strongly recommend it's use. Niacinamide has been shown to assist energy production by assisting the citric acid cycle (krebs cycle) in producing ATP. Nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NAD+) and nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide phosphate (NADP+) play key roles as carriers of electrons in the transfer of reduction potential. I take it daily.
Sinclair was talking about how a little niacinamide acts as an NAD precursor, however when it is built up in the bodydy, it starts inhibiting sirt1 and nad production

B

Blaze

Sinclair was talking about how a little niacinamide acts as an NAD precursor, however when it is built up in the bodydy, it starts inhibiting sirt1 and nad production
I take methylene blue 2 drops 3 times a day which greatly increases Sirtuin 1 by increasing NAD+/NADH ratio. I also take 250mg of niacinamide 3 times a day. This combo has given me good results.

Based on your comment, perhaps I should consider lowering or eliminating the niacinamide dose. If Sinclair's premise is somehow correct, in higher doses , it might be working in an opposing manner to the methylene blue I am taking.

I take no other supplements and get my remaining nutrition from food. (Although , I do very occasionally play around with progest-e or pregnenolone)

Last edited by a moderator:

Jigend

I strongly recommend it's use. Niacinamide has been shown to assist energy production by assisting the citric acid cycle (krebs cycle) in producing ATP. Nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NAD+) and nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide phosphate (NADP+) play key roles as carriers of electrons in the transfer of reduction potential. I take it daily.
I do know about this, but can plain Niacin still derive NAD+? As far as I can tell, and based on Peat's interviews and writings, the major problems with plain Niacin would be the flushing, which would cause the release of histamine and prostaglandins, if I recall correctly. BUT assuming one takes lower doses of Niacin - say 50 to 100mg - and bypasses the flushing, would we then be getting similar benefits in terms of increased NAD+ and NADP+?

I am asking this because I am currently abroad, and unfortunately, where I'm at, nicotinamide/niacinamide is very hard to get, and the little Niacinamide I managed to find comes at 1000mg doses (!). BUT Niacin is fairly easy to obtain. Because of this I ordered Niacin. It comes at 100mg per dose which I find reasonable. I have been taking it every other day.

Thus far I notice tangible (but subtle) increases in energy and mood. No visible flushing whatsoever. However, unlike niacinamide, which I have taken before in 250mg pills, I do not feel the increases in GABA: In fact, if I take it at around 11pm/midnight, it becomes a bit harder to fall asleep.

With the above said, my question is very simple and straightforward: Without the availability of quality niacinamide, is plain niacin a viable "so-so" alternative for increased NAD+, provided we avoid the flushing?

equipoise

I do know about this, but can plain Niacin still derive NAD+? As far as I can tell, and based on Peat's interviews and writings, the major problems with plain Niacin would be the flushing, which would cause the release of histamine and prostaglandins, if I recall correctly. BUT assuming one takes lower doses of Niacin - say 50 to 100mg - and bypasses the flushing, would we then be getting similar benefits in terms of increased NAD+ and NADP+?

I am asking this because I am currently abroad, and unfortunately, where I'm at, nicotinamide/niacinamide is very hard to get, and the little Niacinamide I managed to find comes at 1000mg doses (!). BUT Niacin is fairly easy to obtain. Because of this I ordered Niacin. It comes at 100mg per dose which I find reasonable. I have been taking it every other day.

Thus far I notice tangible (but subtle) increases in energy and mood. No visible flushing whatsoever. However, unlike niacinamide, which I have taken before in 250mg pills, I do not feel the increases in GABA: In fact, if I take it at around 11pm/midnight, it becomes a bit harder to fall asleep.

With the above said, my question is very simple and straightforward: Without the availability of quality niacinamide, is plain niacin a viable "so-so" alternative for increased NAD+, provided we avoid the flushing?
Niacinamide is easily available all over the internet and ready to be delivered at your doors in a couple days

B

Blaze

I know Peat was pretty clear that niacinamide was recommended and not the nicotinic acid type of Niacin . I guess you could avoid supplements altogether and get your niacinamide from foods that have it - such as liver or chicken breast.

Jigend

I know Peat was pretty clear that niacinamide was recommended and not the nicotinic acid type of Niacin . I guess you could avoid supplements altogether and get your niacinamide from foods that have it - such as liver or chicken breast.
Peat has been clear within the context of the flush, which releases histamine and other potentially toxic compounds. I did not once deny niacinamide was preferable; there is no need to re-assert that.

My question is related with the benefits Niacin may have (I did not once claim suggest it was "as good" or could act as a "perfect substitute" to niacinamide) in low doses and without the going through flush. And again, this is because I already have niacin, and also outlined a number of circumstances which make attaining niacinamide much harder for me right now. And many other users (including lurkers) may find themselves in similar situations, so a clear answer, if anyone can answer this straight away, would be preferable.​

There's no need to circumvent the question with "ifs" and "buts", that fall completely outside the scope of the question, and to which I had already given a pre-emptive disclaimer for.

Last edited: