What's The Verdict On Meditation From A Bioenergetic Perspective?

Discussion in 'Meditation, Mindfullness, Religion, Spirituality' started by lampofred, Sep 4, 2019.

1. lampofred

lampofred Member

Mainstream says it's good for you, at least in the sense of reducing stress, but obviously this forum is proof that much mainstream knowledge is untrue.

Many meditators I know actually transformed into authoritarian rule followers (left wing authoritarian as opposed to right wing authoritarian), and either lost spontaneity or exhibited a very fake "excitatory" spontaneity. I actually even read that meditation increases the size of the left temporal lobe, which estrogen also does, whereas progesterone I think increases the size of the right temporal lobe. But from a theoretical perspective, it makes sense -- reducing stress/cortisol should increase thyroid function. I remember that Dr. Peat himself once said "not really" or something along those lines in an interview when someone asked if he recommended meditation and said just being aware/not being in your head all the time is the extent of what he recommends.

So what are some hard facts on meditation? Any effect on temps/pulse/TSH?

2. methylenewhite

methylenewhite Member

Meditation is a way they supress free will, creative thinking, and almost all executive brain functions. Good way to make yourself numb and dumb neurotic. I went through various meditation centers and monasteries in South-East Asia. I have opinion that meditation supresses neo-cortex activity. If you do it long time it could turn neo-cortex off forever.

3. methylenewhite

methylenewhite Member

I have to stress on Vipassana. STAY AWAY. Its a very sophisticated way to create mental issues out of nothing via psychological stress-induced rollercoaster.

4. pinacolada

pinacolada Member

5. Kammas

Kammas Member

i thinks it’s useful because the attention span of people is only a few seconds as opposed to 15 or so seconds i believe which people had before technology. our minds take in so much information with social media and the constant new thing on our phone that our brains are moving incredibly fast, so slowing down the mind is useful and generally puts the organisms mind at ease.

6. jdrop

jdrop Member

If harnessed as a tool to reduce stress, the effects of less stress are beneficial.

7. thomas00

thomas00 Member

There are a few pretty remarkable studies people have posted on here. From memory there was one showing a significant increase in metabolism and t3.

It's obviously not all there is to living a life free of delusion and stress given the amount of meditators who exhibit those traits. Getting involved in one those 'communities' seems to turn out pretty poorly for most people.

8. Hugh Johnson

Hugh Johnson Member

What do you mean by meditation? There are hundreds or thousands of meditative practices, depending on how you count. Alan Watts said of meditation that it is like a medicine, it is supposed to be taken for a specific purpose not just consumed mindlessly.

9. Entropy

Entropy Member

You cultivate energy meditating..

Specific brainwaves are observed to oscillate in 'alpha', 'theta' from those who meditate successfully.

We live in an over active and stimulated society, so meditation provides stress relief.

There are some studies out that measure meditation practitioners increase DHEA, while decreasing cortisol..

So yeah there are practical benefits and observed physiological reactions.

Beyond physical, there are metaphysical dynamics, which have been studied outside main stream but left ignored or classified...

10. revenant

revenant Member

I would imagine the breathing exercises might be useful from this perspective, the "mindfulness" and other parts (not thinking about anything) maybe not so much.

11. vulture

vulture Member

Zazen tends to suggest a slow exhalation breathing that tends to warm the body and I also asume to increase CO2.