What's The Reason Why Milk Has A Low Niacin Content?

Amazoniac

It's such an important vitamin and the conversion is not so much efficient and involves other nutrients, it would be more convenient to decrease all of the involved nutrients and increase its content if it wasn't for a good reason that I don't know yet.

By the way, what's up with this?
How to Raise HDL - Perfect Health Diet | Perfect Health Diet
Mint-breathed said:
Another issue with niacin is that NAD is the rate-limiting vitamin for bacterial metabolism. Excess vitamin B3 intake, therefore, promotes bacterial infections.

Tenacity

I've noticed that the only 'Peaty' food that is decently high in niacin is liver... most other meats are only okay in niacin content. Other than that, the next safest things are peaches/nectarines and starches. That fact alone makes me wonder about the role of certain starches in the human diet.

marcar72

Maybe the reason can be found in it's high tryptophan content. Endogenously this tryptophan would go down the pathway to form niacin and some of it serotonin.

Tenacity

Maybe the reason can be found in it's high tryptophan content. Endogenously this tryptophan would go down the pathway to form niacin and some of it serotonin.
That's right - I've read that the high calcium content helps the tryptophan become niacin rather than serotonin.

schultz

It's such an important vitamin and the conversion is not so much efficient and involves other nutrients, it would be more convenient to decrease all of the involved nutrients and increase its content if it wasn't for a good reason that I don't know yet.

By the way, what's up with this?
How to Raise HDL - Perfect Health Diet | Perfect Health Diet

Are you speaking of cows milk? Maybe calves can synthesize niacin better than humans? Just a thought.

I don't know how much niacin is in human milk.

Re Niacin and Bacteria: Isn't that like saying don't take menaquinone because it is the equivalent for bacteria of ubiquinone in humans? Bacteria use it for their electron transport system. Thought maybe they can also use ubiquinone? Or maybe don't eat food because bacteria need food to live :eek: I don't know, maybe my logic isn't so well thought out...

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

But why not less of everything involved and more of it? In other words, what's the advantage in relying on the conversion?

Re Niacin and Bacteria: Isn't that like saying don't take menaquinone because it is the equivalent for bacteria of ubiquinone in humans? Bacteria use it for their electron transport system. Thought maybe they can also use ubiquinone? Or maybe don't eat food because bacteria need food to live :eek: I don't know, maybe my logic isn't so well thought out...
So it's not neutral to exceed as it has been implied here?

marcar72

But why not less of everything involved and more of it? In other words, what's the advantage in relying on the conversion?

I'm thinking the conversion endogenously helps some other endogenous process get resolved as a result...

marcar72

I'm trying to avoid importunating burtlan with this one..

For instance, I did a Google search and apparently it takes b6 endogenously to convert tryptophan to niacin. So maybe the body does that endogenously to help keep b6 from building up and causing peripheral neuropathy? Something along those lines I would suppose...

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

For instance, I did a Google search and apparently it takes b6 endogenously to convert tryptophan to niacin. So maybe the body does that endogenously to help keep b6 from building up and causing peripheral neuropathy? Something along those lines I would suppose...
You discovered in 5 minutes what took me months to learn. Nice.
But it's the same case as before, unless one process is slower than the other and it would justify. Since tryptophan is a tricky amino acid, there should be a good reason for it not to be lower.
Maybe something self-limiting related to stimulation for growth.

Last edited:

schultz

Maybe the suppression of lipolysis by niacin is not advantageous in newborn animals who may rely on fatty acids for energy?

Maybe this is a stretch... Just throwing stuff out there.

Really I have no clue lol.

Dont judge me!

Last edited:
L

lollipop

Dont judge me!
:): sometimes I also feel this way on the forum - like I might say something not spot on accurate and wonder if it will set off a blitz...

Honestly though, you are nice and polite and I will be forever grateful to you for those non-fat Milk Powder cookies - lol. My husband and I have one in the mornings most days as part of our morning routine. ❤️

schultz

:) sometimes I also feel this way on the forum - like I might say something not spot on accurate and wonder if it will set off a blitz...

Honestly though, you are nice and polite and I will be forever grateful to you for those non-fat Milk Powder cookies - lol. My husband and I have one in the mornings most days as part of our morning routine. ❤️

Haha, thank you that's very kind!

jyb

Milk is quite high in fat so it would not make sense if it was stuffed with niacin, which would suppresses the baby's fatty acid oxidation.

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

Milk is quite high in fat so it would not make sense if it was stuffed with niacin, which would suppresses the baby's fatty acid oxidation.
jyb!! :grouphug
Some is needed either way, and the same question applies: what's the advantage of relying on the conversion? For example, is it to put pressure to not have any excess tryptophan around by putting it to good use?

Tenacity

jyb!! :grouphug
Some is needed either way, and the same question applies: what's the advantage of relying on the conversion? For example, is it to put pressure to not have any excess tryptophan around by putting it to good use?

I think Ray said growing children need more tryptophan too, so that seems to be at odds with that line of thinking...

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

I think Ray said growing children need more tryptophan too, so that seems to be at odds with that line of thinking...
I'm not sure if it's that efficient. I guess that excesses are expected, you can't have a completely efficient process in pboyology. Something that puts any excess to good use would be handy.

schultz

I asked earlier in the thread but I will ask again... are we talking about cows milk or human milk?

Niacin in human milk goes up with niacin supplementation. I'm sure lots of people don't get enough of this vitamin in general, so this is one reason it could be low in human milk. Presumably, a healthy mother could produce some from tryptophan. Niacin also increases in the milk with the length of lactation.

"Its concentration increases with the duration of lactation from colostrum to mature milk (Emmett and Rogers 1997) but niacin deficiency remains challenging in dietary depleted areas where corn and other cereals are major dietary staples. Maternal supplementation with this vitamin is reflected in the milk content and increases the amount available to the infant (Pratt and Hamil 1951, Lönnerdal 1986, Eitenmiller and Landen 1999)."

I don't know why cows milk has low niacin, but I can make a guess. B-vitamins are created in the cows rumen. This includes B3. It is possible that the calf doesn't need the vitamin from milk because the B3 is made in its rumen (I think by bacteria). I'm not completely up to snuff on my ruminant animal physiology anymore, so please forgive me if I got some of this wrong.

"An important source of niacin for ruminants is ruminal synthesis. Synthesis of niacin in the rumen has been demonstrated in sheep (Rérat et al., 1959), cattle (Hungate, 1966) and goats (Porter, 1961)."

Dante

True, tryptophan deficient kids might hit puberty late and I don't think it's because of lack of Niacin.
I remember reading one of the references cited in peat's article ,it was about tryptophan deficient diet (no niacin deficiency in the diet as far as I remember) to young rats. What was interesting was that it delayed their puberty and they were much smaller than their counterparts who had tryptophan in their diet. One could say that their childhood was extended. Nevertheless, when they were given tryptophan back, they had a growth spurt , quickly hit puberty but they still lived much longer and had less incidence of tumors compared to the rats who always had tryptophan in their diet. Further tryptophan ingestion for the rest of their lifespan didn't seem to cause any problems if I remember. Serotonin antagonist PCPA given during the critical period had the same side effect of delaying puberty and positive effects of lifespan extension and less incidence of tumors.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals