What's The Peatarian Attitude To Beets?

OP
S

Stuart

Beets raise nitric oxide levels in the blood. So are they discouraged?

tara

johns74 said:
http://www.childrensdayton.org/cms/resource_library/nephrology_files/5f5dec8807c77c52/lithiasis__oxalate_and_diet.pdf

Coffee... 10 mg
Beets.... 650 mg
Interesting.
I hadn't thought of potatoes as high-oxalate food.

tara

johns74 said:
I wouldn't call potato a high-oxalate food.
It's all relative, I guess.
Not high like spinach and beets.
But on their list of oxalate-rich foods:
Potato, Idaho white, baked 1 medium: 64mg
I'm not going to stop eating potatoes, and I limit spinach and beet greens somewhat.

johns74

So beets can be about 10 times higher in oxalates than potatoes. I don't put them in the same category.

Potatoes are often eaten in mashed potatoes with milk, which reduces absorption of oxalates.

tara

johns74 said:
So beets can be about 10 times higher in oxalates than potatoes. I don't put them in the same category.

Potatoes are often eaten in mashed potatoes with milk, which reduces absorption of oxalates.
True that beets have 10x more. I probably eat 10x more potatoes than beet greens/spinach.
I imagine more people eat 500g potatoes a day than exceeding 50g spinach or beets/day. Could be some who do, though.
I seem to want some greens regularly. Not going for large amounts of brassicas on account of goitrogens.
This weeks soup has leek including greens, kale and lettuce for a change. But often it has spinach or silverbeet.

OP
S

Stuart

Interesting. Thanks.
I should get off my butt and check the list you linked to johns74, but is that prodigious oxalate content in beets mostly in the greens, or the bulb, or both? Just got given a box of beets too. Red compost methinks. Or I might use them as red dye for cloth perhaps.

....I checked. Bad news too.

tara

Stuart said:
Interesting. Thanks.
I should get off my butt and check the list you linked to johns74, but is that prodigious oxalate content in beets mostly in the greens, or the bulb, or both? Just got given a box of beets too. Red compost methinks. Or I might use them as red dye for cloth perhaps.

....I checked. Bad news too.

If you like them, and can find a way to store them, I don't see why you couldn't have a little now and then for variety, unless you know you are particularly prone to calcium oxalate stones. I use to eat them raw grated with carrot. I imagine you'd get less oxalate this way than boiled or roasted?

OP
S

Stuart

tara said:
If you like them, and can find a way to store them, I don't see why you couldn't have a little now and then for variety, unless you know you are particularly prone to calcium oxalate stones. I use to eat them raw grated with carrot. I imagine you'd get less oxalate this way than boiled or roasted?

I do love their taste. And I really enjoy seeing the 'rainbow pee' effect. Kidney stones don't actually worry me, it is more the calcium binding effect of oxalates. I've always thought they are a really potent nitric oxide stimulator. I thought they would be a big Peatarian concern on that ground alone.

johns74

It's just something I wouldn't eat every day to get erections or something from the nitric oxide.

YuraCZ

johns74 said:
It's just something I wouldn't eat every day to get erections or something from the nitric oxide.
beetroot is a best veggie for the liver detox.. Much more effective than carrot..

johns74

YuraCZ said:
johns74 said:
beetroot is a best veggie for the liver detox.. Much more effective than carrot..

Why do you think RP recommends the carrot and rarely talks about using beets for that purpose?

Dayman

I like to eat the cooked beetroot with feta cheese. Though I only have it very infrequently. I don't eat the greens.
Also can turn your excretions purplish or redish :lol: .