What’s the ideal ratio for mixed tocopherols (alpha/gamma/delta/beta) ?

Ponce

Hello everyone. I’d want to know what is the ideal ratio of alpha/gamma/delta/beta tocopherols in a pure powder preparation for an optimal effect on health ?

Elie

Forum Supporter
alpha, I believe, needs to be dominant but not sure by how much

Daniil

I think as Travis and others were saying supplementing high ratio alpha tocopherol reduces the concentration of gamma tocopherols. This section of the examine.com post summarizes the findings
Vitamin E Supplement — Health Benefits, Dosage, Side Effects

3.2. Serum

Oral ingestion of pure α-tocopherol supplements is known to dose-dependently reduce circulating concentrations of γ-tocopherol, with a 36-42% increase in basal α-tocopherol being met with a 28-61% reduction in γ-tocopherol.[9] This reduction in γ-tocopherol also seems to extend to red blood cells when they experience an increase in α-tocopherol,[93] and has been repeatedly noted either inherently or when combined with fish oil supplementation.[94][95][96] Supplementation of γ-tocopherol in isolation (up to 200mg over five weeks) conversely does not reduce circulating α-tocopherol concentrations,[97][98] and in trials using mixed tocopherol supplements it appears that 63% γ-tocopherol (315mg of a 500mg vitamin E supplement) is sufficient to elevate γ-tocopherol despite coingesting α-tocopherol (15%).[99]

Ingesting α-tocopherol (either natural or synthetic) in isolation appears to reduce circulating levels of γ-tocopherol, whereas the opposite does not appear to exist. Supplementing approximately equal levels of the two is thought to be sufficient to prevent a decrease in plasma γ-tocopherol.
It is thought that the reduction in serum γ-tocopherol comes secondary to α-tocopherol inducing secretion of vLDL particles rich in α-tocopherol,[100] as there does not appear to be competitive inhibition in the absorption of the two molecules from the intestines.[101]

Daniil

The gamma and alpha ratio must be at least equal. Gamma-tocopherol is important and must not be depleted. Nothing else matters.

yerrag

yerrag

Hi yerrag-

Do you still take this E supplement? Mind giving an update? Thank you in advance-
I only used half of it, saving the rest for later use.

I was taking it combined with policosanol and cyclodextrin mixed together in ethanol and mixed in a test tube in an ultrasonic bath.

I suspected I have plaque that has plenty of foam cells, which is what happens to macrophages that are left off combined with oxidized LDL, and this forms the necrotic core of plaque. And this structure has to be slowly removed using my combo. This way, there would be no refuge for the bacteria that seemed to hide there and make it difficult for immune cells to phagocytize them. This was my way of carpet-bombing Azovstal and expose the bacteria to make the Marines and Navy Seals (neutrophils and macrophages and natural killer T-cells) do better work, without the need to call out reinforcements and cause a continual cytokine storm that I suspect causes high bp.

But it turns out my assumption was wrong on the mechanism by which I have high bp. So I abandoned this approach. As the source of my high bp is in the blood itself, where CWD (cell wall deficient) bacteria is being produced. This causes platelets to be used as an immune cell to destroy the CWD bacteria. This explains why platelet count is on the low side of normal.

I should stop here as this would become a high bp story.

I haven't seen any improvement using my combo and it's more likely the premise behind its use is false.

But I believe that if my problem were simply high bp due to the presence of oxidized LDL in plaque lining blood vessels, my combo would work.

Kray

Wow, you certainly are innovative and not afraid of challenges to find solutions. I sure don't have the level of knowledge you seem to, and a lot of the stuff on the forum has to be made very simple for my understanding. I really appreciate when someone will answer my questions and help me understand things better, without making me feel dumb, or by not answering my questions. So, thank you!

Do you supplement any E right now? I was looking at this one which someone here might have posted. It's not cheap, but I like that it's not soy-derived, and seems to have a pretty good balance of the E forms. I am finishing up Unique E and E Succinate I use occasionally.

Amazon product ASIN B000FGWDRWView: https://www.amazon.com/Thorne-Research-Ultimate-Contains-Natural/dp/B000FGWDRW/ref=sr_1_5?crid=15X2LRJL3HK3&keywords=thorne+ultimate+e&qid=1652313570&sprefix=thorne+ultimate+e%2Caps%2C141&sr=8-5

Thank you again for your time and feedback.

yerrag

Wow, you certainly are innovative and not afraid of challenges to find solutions. I sure don't have the level of knowledge you seem to, and a lot of the stuff on the forum has to be made very simple for my understanding. I really appreciate when someone will answer my questions and help me understand things better, without making me feel dumb, or by not answering my questions. So, thank you!

Do you supplement any E right now? I was looking at this one which someone here might have posted. It's not cheap, but I like that it's not soy-derived, and seems to have a pretty good balance of the E forms. I am finishing up Unique E and E Succinate I use occasionally.

Amazon product ASIN B000FGWDRWView: https://www.amazon.com/Thorne-Research-Ultimate-Contains-Natural/dp/B000FGWDRW/ref=sr_1_5?crid=15X2LRJL3HK3&keywords=thorne+ultimate+e&qid=1652313570&sprefix=thorne+ultimate+e%2Caps%2C141&sr=8-5

Thank you again for your time and feedback.
I have no choice but to compound my own vitamin E with cyclodextrins, as it makes the vitamin E more effective in removing foam cells that contain oxidized LDL. The term "oxidized LDL" is a misnomer because Ray says they continue to oxidize and not only that, they are even a stronger source of lipid peroxidation. They should be called "oxidizing LDL."

I'm not supplementing any E now. I think I'm doing a good job avoiding PUFAs but when I eat out I'll be sure to take vitamin E when I go home.

The Thorne vitamin E is expensive and they say they have a special process for making the product pure or something like that. And the premium is on account of the source not being soy. At the very least, they still have a good product. There was one brand I checked out before that liked to talk non-GMO yada yada, but sells at a high price in the hope some gullible consumer would jump at it being non-GMO but it really did not have a good mix of vitamin E isomers. And to top it off, the vitamin E was mixed with PUFA.

I personally don't mind that soy is the source of the vitamin E as long as the soy is non-GMO. But that is hard to find it seems, as I believe many brands don't specify their vitamin E comes from non-GMO soy. And if it's not stated, I have to assume that it's GMO.

Kray

I have no choice but to compound my own vitamin E with cyclodextrins, as it makes the vitamin E more effective in removing foam cells that contain oxidized LDL. The term "oxidized LDL" is a misnomer because Ray says they continue to oxidize and not only that, they are even a stronger source of lipid peroxidation. They should be called "oxidizing LDL."

I'm not supplementing any E now. I think I'm doing a good job avoiding PUFAs but when I eat out I'll be sure to take vitamin E when I go home.

The Thorne vitamin E is expensive and they say they have a special process for making the product pure or something like that. And the premium is on account of the source not being soy. At the very least, they still have a good product. There was one brand I checked out before that liked to talk non-GMO yada yada, but sells at a high price in the hope some gullible consumer would jump at it being non-GMO but it really did not have a good mix of vitamin E isomers. And to top it off, the vitamin E was mixed with PUFA.

I personally don't mind that soy is the source of the vitamin E as long as the soy is non-GMO. But that is hard to find it seems, as I believe many brands don't specify their vitamin E comes from non-GMO soy. And if it's not stated, I have to assume that it's GMO.
Thank you for your feedback on the Thorne product. I know what you mean about labeling and marketing. And nowadays it seems near-impossible to get a live person to answer questions and if you do, they often don't have answers.

Do you have any experience with Dry E succinate? Seems many prefer that over the oil-based due to reactions. The one I have used is not alpha-only, but the mixed ratio is also not given. I might give the Thorne a try when I run out of supplies.

Can you give a snapshot of one of your typical PUFA-free days- what you eat to achieve that?

yerrag

Thank you for your feedback on the Thorne product. I know what you mean about labeling and marketing. And nowadays it seems near-impossible to get a live person to answer questions and if you do, they often don't have answers.

Do you have any experience with Dry E succinate? Seems many prefer that over the oil-based due to reactions. The one I have used is not alpha-only, but the mixed ratio is also not given. I might give the Thorne a try when I run out of supplies.

Can you give a snapshot of one of your typical PUFA-free days- what you eat to achieve that?
If you're aware of the dark underbelly of the medical cum legal system, everybody you ask that is an establishment authority or works for that authority, you just know asking them for answers is just as good as asking Google whose answers are curated to to lead you to what the FDA and the AMA wants you to hear.

Even if the party were not part of it, you still get the same song and dance because the shysters would make sure he pays an awful price for not giving a parrot answer.

That would explain why it's useless asking around for answers except if you're in a forum like this where when you get real answers you are just as likely to get parrots squawking as owls giving a factual lecture. At the very least you have a choice whom you want to listen to.

As for succinates, I've never tried them and I'm glad I never did, except when they're like pork bits hidden in egg rolls served as kosher to an orthodox Jew. As they're included in multi-vitamin tablet supplements.

As I understand it, succinates are the medical establishment's way of promoting an ineffective form of vitamin E as the gold standard of Vitamin E through rigged studies that they call scientific, peer-reviewed, and evidence-based. Since it's a lot cheaper than the truly more effective Vitamin E's - mixed tocopherols - it would lead to succinates being promoted and used by the mass market over the 'much more expensive and much less effective forms of Vitamin E.' If you look at the mass market vitamin E's sold by Kirkland, and network health marketers such as Usana and Shaklee, their vitamin E offerings are pretty much succinates.

I have a sister who markets Shaklee's product and she had no idea she's selling a useless vitamin E succinate. She was only able to open her mind to the possibility that it is useless when her husband had a stroke and I had to impress on her further that idea for her to actually try a real vitamin E product like Unique E.

The back story has to do with the industry wanting to relegate Vitamin E as merely an antioxidant and not being anti-PUFA and anti-estrogenic, given that the AHA endorses PUFAS and that estrogen is marketed as healthful over progesterone. Restricting vitamin E as an anti-oxidant would only value the alpha-tocopherol isomer as useful, with the beta, gamma, and delta isomers as worthless.

And in order to make even natural alpha- tocopherol dispensable and relatively troublesome and costly to manufacture, the industry would promote the synthetic version dl-alpha tocopherol, and would pair it with a succinate to make it a powder form that is more convenient to use. And the rest is further eye candy in the form of rigged studies to bolster the synthetic succinates as superior to be called the gold standard.

It isn't surprising that the end result is as planned, that the world, especially the fat golden calf called the West, would have very high incidences of cardiovascular diseases and deaths. And this would lead to downstream drugs such as statins in a deeper layer of medical gaslighting that drives them richer and the masses in greater despair.

My PUFA free days are minimal PUFA as PUFA is still there in eggs, and in pork and chicken I eat, although I would eat less of the chicken skin and the pork fat.I would be using butter with sweet potatoes and sugar for breakfast at times, and meals are cooked with refined coconut oil and if deep fried with hydrogenated coconut oil.

I drink milk though not heavily as I eat plenty of cooked green leaves which are boiled and simmered and served with vinegar and diced onions and tomatoes. This gives me calcium and magnesium. But milk isn't PUFA anyway.

I avoid eating out except for an occasional burger and some occasions like birthdays and weddings but I'll have vitamin E after.

I'd still eat peanuts at times but the peanuts are tropical peanuts so it has higher saturated fat content, but nus are whole food so they have PUFAS together with vitamin E in them so I'm not that concerned.

Most fruits aren't oily except for the avocado. And avocados are tropical and they're eaten whole so there's vitamin E with it and some PUFAS.

I eat white rice and not much bread, as most commercial breads and pastries and cakes are made with PUFA oils.

I avoid most chips especially Frito Lay's and the like as they all use PUFAS. I can buy local Philippine made chips that sometimes use saturated fats. Although I prefer to make my own appetizers by deep-frying cuttlefish, small intestines, and calamari, and beer. But I'm only a social beer drinker.

I used to not want to deep fry, but all it does is lead me to watering holes that serve appetizers where the choice of deep fry oil used I have no control of. Not that I seek them out.

Last edited:

Kray

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

I am interjecting a question pertaining to your polnts above. Based upon your understanding, are foam cells something we all have as oxidized LDL, or related to specific needs you have, such as high LDL or high Lp(a) ? Either way, wouldn't a Vitamin C-proline-lysine protocol help in mitigating the effects of oxidized LDL and/or high Lp(a)? Otherwise, it seems no one can really be helped by Vitamin E since we most certainly suffer from some degree of oxidized LDL in the world in which we live. The best we can do is lessen the intake of PUFA, which you are doing. Forgive me if I missed the point-- I am a layperson.

P.S. I ask about high Lp(a) because I tested high for it about 20 years ago. Doc at the time didn't tell me he was including in blood panel. Scared me to death. But it led me to Linus Pauling protocol, changed diet (removed wheat/gluten grains, tomatoes) read Barry Groves (UK), then fiound Peat. All good!

Your diet sounds very much like mine, so I am thrilled and very much relieved. I think I've had PDS- PUFA DERANGEMENT SYNDROME. Traded worries about Lp(a) for PUFA. The question now is, to supplement Vitamin E or no.

A very big THANK YOU.

Last edited:

yerrag

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

I am interjecting a question pertaining to your polnts above. Based upon your understanding, are foam cells something we all have as oxidized LDL, or related to specific needs you have, such as high LDL or high Lp(a) ? Either way, wouldn't a Vitamin C-proline-lysine protocol help in mitigating the effects of oxidized LDL and/or high Lp(a)? Otherwise, it seems no one can really be helped by Vitamin E since we most certainly suffer from some degree of oxidized LDL in the world in which we live. The best we can do is lessen the intake of PUFA, which you are doing. Forgive me if I missed the point-- I am a layperson.

P.S. I ask about high Lp(a) because I tested high for it about 20 years ago. Doc at the time didn't tell me he was including in blood panel. Scared me to death. But it led me to Linus Pauling protocol, changed diet (removed wheat/gluten grains, tomatoes) read Barry Groves (UK), then fiound Peat. All good!

Your diet sounds very much like mine, so I am thrilled and very much relieved. I think I've had PDS- PUFA DERANGEMENT SYNDROME. Traded worries about Lp(a) for PUFA. The question now is, to supplement Vitamin E or no.

A very big THANK YOU.
Those are tough questions and my understanding of Lp(a) is murky and I don't know have a firm grasp of when the Vitamin C-proline-lysine protocol works and when it doesn't. It seems that high or low Lp(a) states is said to be genetic in origin and if that's the case there's nothing I can do about it and so I don't bother fixing it nor focusing on it. But I also think personally it's a lot of hooey that comes out of focusing too much on depicting cholesterol as a big bad wolf by a little boy with a lab gown. There are even tests available that go as far as determining the size of LDL as if that matters (and I wonder why it does when the composition of LDL circulating in blood is not really indicative of the LDL that has already deposited in the blood vessels). But if the theory of cholesterol as the cause of heart disease is false, which I believe it is, then all these downstream theories and tests arising from a false foundation are not to be taken seriously but wastes our time and effort and diverts us from focusing on the real issue of oxidizing LDL.

As I understand it, Vitamin C is an antioxidant and the assumption that it helps with eliminating plaque isn't very solid. At best it acts as an antioxidant so it can help with reducing the level of oxidative stress arising from lipid peroxidation from oxidizing LDL. But LDL oxidizing is a continuous process and it may be never-ending when a lot of oxidizing LDL has accumulated in the foam cells which form a large part of the necrotic core in plaque. At best vitamin C is like a fireman dousing a forest fire that will need better ways to totally extinguish it. When the blood vessel is not totally rid of plaque, and when the endothelial lining is scarred, it really has no chance to heal and so the proline and lysine is not going to do much good as it's like a mason laying a layer of plaster over improperly cured cement.

So the focus in my opinion has to be on preventing more oxidizing LDL from lining up the vessel walls and on gently removing the foam cells that contain the oxidizing LDL. The use of vitamin E forms that are mere antioxidants will not help as vitamin E forms that are electrophilic will be able to destroy the foam cells and neutralize the oxidizing LDLs.

Using natural vitamin E and not just the usual alpha-tocopherol isomer won't cut it. The natural form of vitamin has mixed tocopherols that have the alpha, gamma, and delta isomers in them as well as the less known beta isomer. The gamma and delta isomers are electrophilic and would remove the foam cells from plaque. Based on a study shared by Peat which discusses the use of cyclodextrins to enable macrophages to lyse foam cells more effectively, I would incorporate cyclodextrin into a compound that has mixed tocopherols with policosanols added.

But I am experimenting and I experiment on myself and I hope this can be a good start, in the absence of useful solutions from our vaunted big pharma and their battery of experts and funding and evidence-based blah blah. I'm pretty sure I can get somewhere better than be stuck on quicksand and sink.

I'm glad our diet looks the same. It isn't hard to be peaty when we have sweets and it's hard to enjoy foods that are bland and lacking texture when we remove salt and sugar and all fats from our diet. Life has to be enjoyed and as much as we can we want to have our cake and eat it too. Sounds reasonable, don't you think?

It's good to supplement with the right vitamin E no doubt. It doesn't hurt.

You're welcome!

Kray

Those are tough questions and my understanding of Lp(a) is murky and I don't know have a firm grasp of when the Vitamin C-proline-lysine protocol works and when it doesn't. It seems that high or low Lp(a) states is said to be genetic in origin and if that's the case there's nothing I can do about it and so I don't bother fixing it nor focusing on it. But I also think personally it's a lot of hooey that comes out of focusing too much on depicting cholesterol as a big bad wolf by a little boy with a lab gown. There are even tests available that go as far as determining the size of LDL as if that matters (and I wonder why it does when the composition of LDL circulating in blood is not really indicative of the LDL that has already deposited in the blood vessels). But if the theory of cholesterol as the cause of heart disease is false, which I believe it is, then all these downstream theories and tests arising from a false foundation are not to be taken seriously but wastes our time and effort and diverts us from focusing on the real issue of oxidizing LDL.

As I understand it, Vitamin C is an antioxidant and the assumption that it helps with eliminating plaque isn't very solid. At best it acts as an antioxidant so it can help with reducing the level of oxidative stress arising from lipid peroxidation from oxidizing LDL. But LDL oxidizing is a continuous process and it may be never-ending when a lot of oxidizing LDL has accumulated in the foam cells which form a large part of the necrotic core in plaque. At best vitamin C is like a fireman dousing a forest fire that will need better ways to totally extinguish it. When the blood vessel is not totally rid of plaque, and when the endothelial lining is scarred, it really has no chance to heal and so the proline and lysine is not going to do much good as it's like a mason laying a layer of plaster over improperly cured cement.

So the focus in my opinion has to be on preventing more oxidizing LDL from lining up the vessel walls and on gently removing the foam cells that contain the oxidizing LDL. The use of vitamin E forms that are mere antioxidants will not help as vitamin E forms that are electrophilic will be able to destroy the foam cells and neutralize the oxidizing LDLs.

Using natural vitamin E and not just the usual alpha-tocopherol isomer won't cut it. The natural form of vitamin has mixed tocopherols that have the alpha, gamma, and delta isomers in them as well as the less known beta isomer. The gamma and delta isomers are electrophilic and would remove the foam cells from plaque. Based on a study shared by Peat which discusses the use of cyclodextrins to enable macrophages to lyse foam cells more effectively, I would incorporate cyclodextrin into a compound that has mixed tocopherols with policosanols added.

But I am experimenting and I experiment on myself and I hope this can be a good start, in the absence of useful solutions from our vaunted big pharma and their battery of experts and funding and evidence-based blah blah. I'm pretty sure I can get somewhere better than be stuck on quicksand and sink.

I'm glad our diet looks the same. It isn't hard to be peaty when we have sweets and it's hard to enjoy foods that are bland and lacking texture when we remove salt and sugar and all fats from our diet. Life has to be enjoyed and as much as we can we want to have our cake and eat it too. Sounds reasonable, don't you think?

It's good to supplement with the right vitamin E no doubt. It doesn't hurt.

You're welcome!
Thank you for all your insights and feedback. I will probably continue with the vitamin C regimen for a time, and include vitamin E as needed. And although I didn't mention it here until now, I am on a holy grail quest for answers to recurring dermatitis (I think eczema). Diet is always first on my radar as to cause, but what would I change? I've searched many threads on the forum for "eczema" and seen the gamut, from vitamin A deficiency to gut issues. Any insights you have on this matter I would greatly appreciate (please direct me to appropriate thread so I don't completely hijack this one!).

Again, going a bit off-topic to original post, but I found this link doing a little reading this morning. It caught my attention because of your comments on endothelium.

yerrag

Thank you for all your insights and feedback. I will probably continue with the vitamin C regimen for a time, and include vitamin E as needed. And although I didn't mention it here until now, I am on a holy grail quest for answers to recurring dermatitis (I think eczema). Diet is always first on my radar as to cause, but what would I change? I've searched many threads on the forum for "eczema" and seen the gamut, from vitamin A deficiency to gut issues. Any insights you have on this matter I would greatly appreciate (please direct me to appropriate thread so I don't completely hijack this one!).

Again, going a bit off-topic to original post, but I found this link doing a little reading this morning. It caught my attention because of your comments on endothelium.

The skin is a tough one to call for me. I have issues myself that is hard to resolve. In fact, it was my desire to rid my skin of keloids that got me into into my health journey. While my keloids continue to pester me to no end, I'm glad that in trying to fix it I ended up fixing myself in other areas.

I hope you don't mind I refer to eczema as skin allergy just to simplify the discussion. I also don't really know when people mean the same thing when they say they have eczema.

The causes of skin allergies I can think of are poor digestion of protein that allows undigested protein to get into the blood; the injection of proteins via vaccination; pRobles with the usual path of excretion of waste such as kidneys causing the excretion to be thru the skin...

There are some more that I currently cannot recall that is microbial in nature or also involve toxins.

Kray

The skin is a tough one to call for me. I have issues myself that is hard to resolve. In fact, it was my desire to rid my skin of keloids that got me into into my health journey. While my keloids continue to pester me to no end, I'm glad that in trying to fix it I ended up fixing myself in other areas.

I hope you don't mind I refer to eczema as skin allergy just to simplify the discussion. I also don't really know when people mean the same thing when they say they have eczema.

The causes of skin allergies I can think of are poor digestion of protein that allows undigested protein to get into the blood; the injection of proteins via vaccination; pRobles with the usual path of excretion of waste such as kidneys causing the excretion to be thru the skin...

There are some more that I currently cannot recall that is microbial in nature or also involve toxins.
So true about eczema It is really a symptom, not a cause.

All possibilities make sense, and have come across my radar in troubleshooting my "skin allergy". Some years ago when I was having a terrible rash, I found a Chinese herbalist online whose products helped me tremendously. After suffering for 3-4 months, my skin cleared literally within 1 week using detox formula capsules, herbal antihistamine, and eczema/psoriasis cream.

This time around, it has been longer in getting rid of. I'm not sure if it's gut or allergy, but suspect allergy of some sort, maybe nickel. So I've tried various things-- TMG (for methyl donor-still doing, not sure if helping), DAO enzyme (for high histamine-don't think it did much), avoidance of high nickel foods (for me, peanuts, sunflower seeds, oats, chocolate/cocoa- just began eliminating these in the past week), homeopathic Graphites 30c (just began 2 days ago and still early, but I think it's helping). Today I will start l-histidine. That is supposed to protect against nickel (and zinc) toxicity. I will supplement zinc during this time.

I wanted to mention that Graphites apparently is not only helpful for eczema, but also for keloid scars. Just a quick search produced this: Homoeopathy and Scar Tissue - homeopathy360.

You can word search "graphites and keloid" and find many anecdotal references for skin conditions. You can also search other remedies that can help for keloid scars.

Oh yes, vitamin E was the subject here! I am using Unique E and will supplement as needed. :)

Beastmode

Any recommended brands?
Look up ADM products as they have it in bulk. There's a specific thread on here somewhere, but you can always ask for samples (say you're a business) from them. The one they sent us was a pretty good size. We asked for their vitamin e product that had the highest delta. You can get the different ones if desired as they're nice about getting them out to you.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals