What's the consensus on tanning beds? How does it compare to the real thing?

Rafe

I wear the protective eyewear & I also cover my face with a towel.

Makrosky

I’ve used that bed before and really like it. The worker at the tanning salon told me that the basic entry level 20 minute bed is all you really need for increasing vitamin D and helping SAD even though it doesn’t tan you as much. The ergoline prestige 1100 bed was more expensive so I just used it for special occasions when I wanted a little more color. I never used it exclusively or did a comparison between it and the cheapest bed on how my vitamin D levels were impacted. I definitely always felt good after a session in it. The salon attendant also said the ergoline was closer to the sun you’d get from a day at the beach. I don’t have any science on any of this though just my personal experience.
Wow! Helps a lot that you already used it. Thanks blossom! How does it work? Sorry but it is all in German and I don't understand a word of it :-/

So I go there in swimming shorts like I would go to the beach and protective goggles, and then just lay on the bed for some minutes? Anything special to be aware of?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Wow! Helps a lot that you already used it. Thanks blossom! How does it work? Sorry but it is all in German and I don't understand a word of it :-/

So I go there in swimming shorts like I would go to the beach and protective goggles, and then just lay on the bed for some minutes? Anything special to be aware of?
Yes, swimming shorts or underwear is fine. Some people go nude but you have to be careful of parts that have never gotten much uv exposure so you don’t burn those areas. My husband just wears his boxer shorts. I always wear the goggles and usually cover my face for most of the time too. I’d ask the workers what the maximum time would be for your skin type and just do half of that time.

Old Irenaeus

What about the testicles? I don't want potent UV-UVA light to get theree. Is a swimming short enough?
Start out slowly with 1 or 2 minutes in the bed and then work your way up to a little longer but maybe less frequently.

Makrosky

Yes, swimming shorts or underwear is fine. Some people go nude but you have to be careful of parts that have never gotten much uv exposure so you don’t burn those areas. My husband just wears his boxer shorts. I always wear the goggles and usually cover my face for most of the time too. I’d ask the workers what the maximum time would be for your skin type and just do half of that time.
Thanks a lot Blossom. Yeah I am worried about eyes and balls so I will cover these with an extra towel. I think that would block all the spectrum?

I don't think I can ask since it is fully automated (you put coins) but there are posters with skin type. I will start with 1/3 of my skin type and see.

Many thanks :)

LadyRae

My subjective and completely anecdotal experience is that they cure my SAD, whereas nothing else does much. 15 minutes every other day and my winters are as good as summers, feelings wise.
I have been doing the same thing for years. It makes a huge positive difference in my mood, and my skin looks younger than a lot of other women my age (44).

Use the cheapest, lowest intensity beds, they have more UVB.

Lots of tanning salons now have red light beds too, which I do for 15/20 minutes after the uvb to reduce any inflammation..

Last edited:

Makrosky

I have done it 3 times x 3 minutes and I am not sure if it is placebo but I notice a possitive effect. Barely tanned so tomorrow I will up it to 6 minutes.

InChristAlone

Best times of my life were when I was going tanning regularly.

Old Irenaeus

I have done it 3 times x 3 minutes and I am not sure if it is placebo but I notice a possitive effect. Barely tanned so tomorrow I will up it to 6 minutes.
If you feel like you're burning, hit the stop button. Go slow till you get a good glow.

Makrosky

If you feel like you're burning, hit the stop button. Go slow till you get a good glow.
Thanks man. I am definitely going slow since a burn in those cabins means a burn in the whole body. Not nice. But so far I haven't had the slightest signs of burning or tan. What I do is wait at least 2-3 days between sessions to asses if it burned or not, since sunburns sometimes take days to manifest.

Makrosky

Is this really not bad for the skin? Feels super weird. I hope it doesn't promote cancer or something, as it doesn't have the full spectrum like sunlight.

But I think the positives outweight the negatives as taking 0 UV rays for 6 months is absolutely bad. Higher latitudes suck.

InChristAlone

Really? On artificial lamps? Why don't you do it anymore then?
I just never prioritized it after having kids. I also thought sunlight was better. Now I live in the south and I still always feel the best when I'm outside regularly.

LadyRae

Tanning beds in winter (low pressure/most uvb) make a big positive difference in my mood and sleep. I'm in Eastern Washington State, usa

Old Irenaeus

It seems like there must be many tanned and presumably good-looking people on this forum. Makes sense. Do people ever notice that you are tan in winter when others are pallid?

LadyRae

It seems like there must be many tanned and presumably good-looking people on this forum. Makes sense. Do people ever notice that you are tan in winter when others are pallid?
No one says anything to me anymore, although maybe they are just used to seeing me this way. I don't think that I am super tan. I just go a couple times a week for 15 to 20 minutes. I would have to go a lot more often to be really noticeably tan.

The lower intensity bulbs with more uv-b, don't make you as tan as the higher intensity UVA bulbs. The ladies at the tanning salon are always trying to push the more expensive, high-intensity beds, because they assume that you just want to get tan. What you want are the beds with the long skinny bulbs, and in those beds you really have to go a lot to get tan noticeably.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Do people ever notice that you are tan in winter when others are pallid?
I mostly cover my face, neck and upper chest when I’m using the tanning bed so in full winter clothing it’s not that obvious except to my husband. I have been uncovering those areas for about 2-3 minutes this year though because I honestly miss the glow.
Best times of my life were when I was going tanning regularly.
Yes!
make a big positive difference in my mood and sleep.
100% Agree.