What's The Best Time To Take Progesterone?

J

j.

I read that progesterone decreases carbon dioxide levels. The body increases carbon dioxide when we sleep, maybe for a reason, so it seems it would be best to take progesterone in the morning to not interfere with the nightly carbon dioxide levels. Thoughts?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Interesting about the carbon dioxide levels.

Dan W

I was curious about the mechanism behind this. This site implies that progesterone increases sensitivity to carbon dioxide, triggering hyperventilation that gets rid of more CO2.

Could slower breathing at night be the reason for rising CO2? If so, maybe the higher nightly CO2 isn't "intentional", and we'd be better off taking progesterone at night when we'll have "spare" CO2...

I have a feeling Phil/pranarupa has a smart answer to this.

SaltGirl

The doctors I've spoken to suggest taking progesterone during the evening as it can have a strong sedative effect. I personally took it in the evening as it often mellowed me out and made me want to go to sleep. Whether that is optional though I can't say.

OP
J

j.

The easiest way to figure it out might be experimenting and seeing what happens. I guess it could also not be relevant.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Peata said:
I'm taking it three times per day.
That's what I am doing. Wondering if I ought to cut it back to twice a day.

Peata

j. said:
Peata said:

What's your daily dose, out of curiosity?

About 1/8 teaspoon, 3x day. It feels like a lot, almost too much, when I'm rubbing it around on my gums, but I'm tired of taking what seems to be too little to do the job. I wanted to get on top of the estrogen dominance and then cut back when I can. I'm using other supplements too though, to target my problems.

Peata

Charlie said:
Peata said:
That's what I am doing. Wondering if I ought to cut it back to twice a day.

I just started this high dose several days ago, so I'm going to stick with it for a while.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
j. said:
I read that progesterone decreases carbon dioxide levels. The body increases carbon dioxide when we sleep, maybe for a reason, so it seems it would be best to take progesterone in the morning to not interfere with the nightly carbon dioxide levels. Thoughts?
j, I just read the quote below and thought back to your post:
Ray Peat said:
Progesterone, which increases the carbon dioxide content of the tissues, is remarkably able to inhibit the actions of most of the inflammatory and catabolic mediators, and to protect against degenerative calcification and osteoporosis.
Source

OP
J

j.

Thanks. The first quote refers to serum levels.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Speculation. Maybe because the progesterone is forcing the carbon dioxide into the tissues so there is less in the serum?

OP
J

j.

Charlie said:
Speculation. Maybe because the progesterone is forcing the carbon dioxide into the tissues so there is less in the serum?

Probably. The statement about serum carbon dioxide is from livestrong. Link

To be more precise, they say it lowers carbon dioxide in the arteries.

Effects of Progesterone
The progesterone hormone has many effects. It raises the level of insulin in the bloodstream; insulin is a hormone that is secreted by the pancreas to prevent a high blood glucose levels. Progesterone tells the liver to increase its storage of glucose, makes the kidneys lower their reabsorption of sodium, raises the temperature of the body, and lowers the amount of carbon dioxide in the arteries. Progesterone can also stimulate lipoprotein lipase. This is a protein which the cells use to break down triglycerides, resulting in a lower triglyceride level.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Interesting, thank you for posting that.

SAFarmer

himsahimsa said:
Can progesterone be got without a prescription?
I think you mean like in bulk form right ? Because that's what I want too, but here in SA I need a prescription. There is only a few companies that supply it, but the min volumes to order is way more than the doctor would give me a prescription for :( The creams are way too expensive for the amount of active ingredient you get in there, although you can get the cream without prescription over the counter.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Progesterone used to be a treatment for emphysema until pharmaceutical companies started promoting more profitable treatments. Typically there are problems with elevated co2 in emphysema and I believe progesterone is especially protective for people who have such ventilatory impairment. Maybe there was an underlying deficiency in some to begin with. I believe part of the reason it fell out of favor is if progesterone can help so much with a seemingly non hormonal problem then we must look at hormones in a new light. This would lead to scrutiny of estrogen and big pharma won't have that! Anyway, I take the majority of my progest-e at night to help protect me from the stress of darkness.

aguilaroja

Blossom said:
... I take the majority of my progest-e at night to help protect me from the stress of darkness.

Much depends on the rate and method of progesterone absorption. In sufficient quantities, ("natural", "bioidentical") progesterone is clearly sedating and anesthetic.

It's wise to approach progesterone like any substance that could be sedating. Use it at night first, on a day when you can sleep late. Avoid applications before driving, operating machinery, or hazardous situations.

The Progest-E/Kenogen tocopherol form is sometimes quickly absorbed when applied to the lips or gums. The absorption of ANY transdermal preparation (applied away from the mouth) is more variable, but generally slower. YMMV.

I agree with Blossom that since progesterone protects against biological stress factors, there is advantage to taking it at night, when these factors tend to be highest. On usual diurnal schedules, the sedating aspect of progesterone is no inconvenience at night.

--
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/pr ... ions.shtml

[On the Progest-E Complex:]
"If a small amount of olive oil is used with it, absorption through the skin is very rapid. Many women use it vaginally, spread onto a diaphragm, to hold it in contact with the membranes. The efficiency of absorption by all routes is so high that patients should be warned against its anesthetic effect, until their dosage requirement is known approximately."

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals