What's The Best, Healthiest Way, To Grease Cast-Iron CookingWare With ?

DMF

Could it possibly be just plain butter for cast-iron pots & pans? I'm giving up on olive oil because what's available is SO BAD.
Cast-iron is porous, and cleaned only with plain water, so how would the other then scalding hot food substances interact with the metal-heat-food?

BibleBeliever

I would use other cookware.

Read:

"
  • SUMMARY:
  • Iron is a potentially toxic heavy metal; an excess can cause cancer, heart disease, and other illnesses.
    Other heavy metals, including lead and aluminum, are toxic; pans and dishes should be chosen carefully.
    Iron causes cell aging.
    Drinking coffee with iron rich foods can reduce iron's toxic effects.
    Use shrimp and oysters, etc., to prevent the copper deficiency which leads to excess storage of iron.
    Avoid food supplements which contain iron.
    Take about 100 units of vitamin E daily; your vitamin E requirement increases with your iron consumption."

DrJ

When I was using mine I used ghee. But I don't use it anymore because of the iron issues

AlaskaJono

Lots of u toob vids of how to season cast iron. I have tried many fats, and butter or ghee seems to be the best normal fat to use. Coconut oil makes it dry! I am keen to try flax oil, NOT because I want to eat flax oil, but because of the idea of a slicker surface. I have heard bear fat is the best but... I now no longer live in the great State of Alaska.

FYI: There is a type of pan material called high carbon steel. Lots of French made ones. I had one of these in an 11 inch skillet- omelette pan for years. This can be another alternative.

ScottinYYC

I have seasoned my cast iron by stripping it entirely with the “oven cleaner” mode on my stove and then multiple heatings with a small application of lard. That worked ok but using flax oil gives me the best results. Once the pan is stripped you rewarm the pan at about 200 degrees for 10 minutes and then apply a very thin coating of flax oil (don’t try thick or dripping or your pan will come out sticky) and then pop it back in the oven at 400 for an hour and shut off the oven and let it cool off. The last time I did this I went through 4 cycles which took the entire day. But my cast iron has remained bulletproof, slick, and easy to clean. I use ghee primarily when cooking with it.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals