What's more accurate: AM/PM blood test, or 24 hour urine test?

tastyfood

I am planning to test cortisol, and I wanted to know people's experience with the results of either the AM/PM blood test, or the 24 urine test.

To me, the 24 urine test looks like a comfortable option, something to do at home that will paint the full picture of the cortisol numbers throughout the day.

I am not too excited about the idea of having two venipunctures done the same day, as I know it can increase stress hormones.

Do any of you recommend one test over the other? Interested in getting the most accuracy out of the test.

Thank you!

yerrag

I am planning to test cortisol, and I wanted to know people's experience with the results of either the AM/PM blood test, or the 24 urine test.

To me, the 24 urine test looks like a comfortable option, something to do at home that will paint the full picture of the cortisol numbers throughout the day.

I am not too excited about the idea of having two venipunctures done the same day, as I know it can increase stress hormones.

Do any of you recommend one test over the other? Interested in getting the most accuracy out of the test.

Thank you!
I don't know there is a 24hr urine test for it. But given my poor rating of tests for blood sugar and glomerular filtration rate commonly used, HbA1c and the serum creatinine-and age-based eGFR, I would be biased towards the 24 hour urine method.

I find that many tests used these days cater to convenience rather than accuracy.

I can use a 24hr urine collection to get a more accurate determination than eGFR using creatinine clearance calculations, to determine glomerular filtration rate, for example.

A lot of things are done these days to streamline processes in order to make them more efficient. Often what is sacrificed is detail and accuracy. But who's questioning the use of these methods?

It is like getting coffee from a vending machine.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals