What's hiding in your staple "Peat" foods?..

RealNeat

I got the idea for this thread after thinking about the large quantities of salt used in most cheese. I asked, "what if the salt they use has added iodine or flowing agents, as often times it just says 'salt' as an added ingredient." This lead me to this cheese making suggestion article. This doesn't mean that it's what large or small manufactures do. Might be worth inquiring about: Wiki: Salt Types

These details may seem a bit overboard for some, however, considering how limited a Peat inspired diet can be (especially for people who live far from big cities with plentiful options, or don't depend on the internet for their food) I think it's important to point out issues with these staple foods.

Some issues are well known like enzymes in cheese used instead of real animal rennet or the citric acid added to "Peaty" things like orange marmalade etc... however others (like what type of salt is used in cheese) may be overlooked.

This thread is an invitation for people to contribute what may be in the staple "Peat" foods that we should think about avoiding since everyday consumption over years may cause major issues.

I have faith in the organism to sort out little imperfections in diet, however, by knowing about a potential negative in the diet a little effort could go a long way in avoiding something one didn't even know they were exposing themselves to.

These type of things are worth more than the germ hypochondriac nature of our society with almost no attention to diet.

here are some staples in my diet to get you thinking about additives and processes which may be a problem.

-Muscle and organ meat (local, organic and 100% grass fed)
-OJ (organic, fluoride free)
-Rice (organic and low arsenic)
-Apple Juice (organic not from concentrate, mold and fluoride free)
-Cheese (animal rennet, kosher salt)
-Tropical fruit (ripe, organic)
-Red Ezekiel bread (glyphosate tested, sprouted, soy free)
-Chocolate (soy free, low lead and cadmium)
-Eggs (low PUFA, outdoor, raised in the warm belt of US)
-Sugar (white)
-Coffee (organic, fresh, whole bean)
-Fish (wild caught, low PUFA)
-Milk (tasty, digestible, raw, no added vitamins)
-Carrots (unpeeled, vibrant, organic)
-Olive Oil (hardens in fridge, dark bottle)
-Butter (100% grass fed, organic practices)
-Tallow (100% grass fed, organic to avoid toxins deposited in fat)
-Greens (fresh, vibrant, baby, organic)
-Condiments (whole ingredients, low PUFA , no "flavorings", no gums)

I'm not saying this is what I always get, but it's what I strive for to avoid issues in staple foods that make up most of what I eat.

Last edited:

miquelangeles

-Sugar (white) - if made from sugar beets
more than 95% of sugar beet in US is GMO

can you give examples of fish you eat

-Coffee (organic, fresh, whole bean) - depending on how it's brewed
I think Ray drinks filtered coffee, paper filters trap coffee oils in them

usually only cooked greens are safe from a Peat perspective

needs more specifics, which condiments

OP
RealNeat

RealNeat

-Sugar (white) - if made from sugar beets
more than 95% of sugar beet in US is GMO

can you give examples of fish you eat

-Coffee (organic, fresh, whole bean) - depending on how it's brewed
I think Ray drinks filtered coffee, paper filters trap coffee oils in them

usually only cooked greens are safe from a Peat perspective

needs more specifics, which condiments
I don't like to support GMO but I don't think it matters since the proteins don't make it into the sugar.

I guess I should have said seafood. I eat cod, shrimp, scallops, squid, lobster and crab. Ideally with no added phosphates.

yes I think Ray does drink filtered, however he has also stated he drinks cafe con leche which has espresso, so not filtered.

I can see how cooked greens are safer however I don't have too many issues with tender raw greens occasionally, like when mixed with a carrot salad.

I don't think it matters as long as the condiments follow those criteria. The only reason I'd see it mattering is if it's too hot of a sauce causing gastrointestinal distress. But I'm referring to mustard, ketchup, mayo, soy sauce (Peat has mentioned it's not a problematic soy source), fish sauce, teriyaki and some mild hot sauces.

miquelangeles

I don't like to support GMO but I don't think it matters since the proteins don't make it into the sugar.

I guess I should have said seafood. I eat cod, shrimp, scallops, squid, lobster and crab. Ideally with no added phosphates.

yes I think Ray does drink filtered, however he has also stated he drinks cafe con leche which has espresso, so not filtered.

I can see how cooked greens are safer however I don't have too many issues with tender raw greens occasionally, like when mixed with a carrot salad.

I don't think it matters as long as the condiments follow those criteria. The only reason I'd see it mattering is if it's too hot of a sauce causing gastrointestinal distress. But I'm referring to mustard, ketchup, mayo, soy sauce (Peat has mentioned it's not a problematic soy source), fish sauce, teriyaki and some mild hot sauces.

I generally agree with you. It's just what I could come up with, based on your list.

But, there is always a risk of hidden ingredients. Labeling is not always complete, especially if one ingredient is part of another ingredient - the so called compound ingredients.
Also, depending on jurisdiction, if an ingredient makes up less than 5% of the food, it does not have to be listed - unless it is from the list of officially recognized allergens.

gaze

i haven't looked into this too heavily, but im fairly certain 100% of meat sold in the US is sprayed with citric acid as an anti microbial. even grass fed and organic. this is before it gets aged/packaged

Sefton10

I recently learned if cheese is labelled 'suitable for vegetarians' it likely uses fermentation-produced chymosin, which was originally created by Pfizer, in place of animal rennet. The label will still just list milk as the ingredient. Still not sure on implications as it is said not to contain GMO or any GMO DNA and is supposedly identical to chymosin made by an animal.

OP
RealNeat

RealNeat

I recently learned if cheese is labelled 'suitable for vegetarians' it likely uses fermentation-produced chymosin, which was originally created by Pfizer, in place of animal rennet. The label will still just list milk as the ingredient. Still not sure on implications as it is said not to contain GMO or any GMO DNA and is supposedly identical to chymosin made by an animal.
That's troubling but also vague as milk products are technically vegetarian friendly all by themselves.

OP
RealNeat

RealNeat

i haven't looked into this too heavily, but im fairly certain 100% of meat sold in the US is sprayed with citric acid as an anti microbial. even grass fed and organic. this is before it gets aged/packaged
So ridiculous. I don't doubt it, sometimes I get a tang from meat that seems out of place. So many things are done to our food when we don't have a first hand account of the process. I've milked cows before and the stuff they use to sterilize the utters and the equipment is not pure iodine, there are all sorts of other things in them. Just look up milking equipment and disinfectants in farm supply stores and read the ingredients, that all ends up in the milk.

gaze

So ridiculous. I don't doubt it, sometimes I get a tang from meat that seems out of place. So many things are done to our food when we don't have a first hand account of the process. I've milked cows before and the stuff they use to sterilize the utters and the equipment is not pure iodine, there are all sorts of other things in them. Just look up milking equipment and disinfectants in farm supply stores and read the ingredients, that all ends up in the milk.
it's hard to find sources on it but this blog run by someone with a severe corn allergy who was tracking all the ways people are exposed to corn wrote this:

"BEEF – PROCESSING:The meat may be sprayed with lactic acid, citric acid, distilled white vinegar from corn, or some other anti-bacterial agent before the meat is hung to age – an anti-bacterial agent is recommended for cattle that are not pasture-fed and –finished (see discussion here). During the processing, the equipment and/or meat may be sprayed with an anti-bacterial. The processed meat may be packaged on a Styrofoam tray containing a citric acid-saturated soaker pad underneath the meat, and then wrapped with shrinkwrap or plastic wrap."

Dr. B

why white sugar? isnt it important for sugar to be organic, and sugar cane sourced or at least not corn sourced, and maybe raw?
i heard sugar and salt are made white using sulfur dioxide or some kind of bleaches. so the pink salt may have small amounts of iron oxide in it but ultimately is probably far superior to any white salt. white sugar seems risky, could cause sulfur overload if eaten too much...

OP
RealNeat

RealNeat

why white sugar? isnt it important for sugar to be organic, and sugar cane sourced or at least not corn sourced, and maybe raw?
i heard sugar and salt are made white using sulfur dioxide or some kind of bleaches. so the pink salt may have small amounts of iron oxide in it but ultimately is probably far superior to any white salt. white sugar seems risky, could cause sulfur overload if eaten too much...
There is no need for sugar to be organic, unless you plan on eating the molasses which is where most of the impurities are. White sugar is usually derived from cane, never heard of white sugar from corn, but I have from beets, which are GMO, but shouldn't be an issue as the proteins are not in the product, I'd avoid it just so we don't support that branch of industry.

I have not seen any reliable proof that white sugar has any of the impurities you mention, have any proof?

White salt is definitely not always bleached, the problem with salt is the flowing agents, sea salt (which is also white and sometime gray) has micro plastics except reliable sources, my favorite salt is Morton's pickling salt which is pure sodium chloride. I add sea salt for some trace minerals occasionally. You're probably getting way more sulfur from all the animal products than any that sugar may have.

Dr. B

There is no need for sugar to be organic, unless you plan on eating the molasses which is where most of the impurities are. White sugar is usually derived from cane, never heard of white sugar from corn, but I have from beets, which are GMO, but shouldn't be an issue as the proteins are not in the product, I'd avoid it just so we don't support that branch of industry.

I have not seen any reliable proof that white sugar has any of the impurities you mention, have any proof?

White salt is definitely not always bleached, the problem with salt is the flowing agents, sea salt (which is also white and sometime gray) has micro plastics except reliable sources, my favorite salt is Morton's pickling salt which is pure sodium chloride. I add sea salt for some trace minerals occasionally. You're probably getting way more sulfur from all the animal products than any that sugar may have.

everything is better organic, organic means no gmos, no pesticides, antibiotics, hormones. its good for everything besides things like vaccines.

I dont have proof, it was posted by someone else on here, it seems legit. sulfur dioxide is used to bleach the sugar and make it white. whiteness has nothing to do with purity, a bunch of chemicals and products are white and look clean but are still toxic. if you search sugar sulfur dioxide there are some things that come up, i havent read through everything yet.

but salt isnt meant to be just sodium chloride, if its just sodium chloride its basically a refined vitamin supplement of sodium chloride, any real salt should have some percentage as trace minerals, sea salt has the toxins issue so pink salt or another salt, I think its called redmond mountain salt based here in the US, are the best despite the iron oxide content. the animal products have sulfur balanced with a bunch of other vitamins/minerals, we arent meant to be consuming sulfur as a supplement, you can consume it but then it can lead to an overload. i think molybdenum is needed to process it, so if you supplement sulfur without molybdenum you can get sulfur intolerance symptoms.

OP
RealNeat

RealNeat

everything is better organic, organic means no gmos, no pesticides, antibiotics, hormones. its good for everything besides things like vaccines.

I dont have proof, it was posted by someone else on here, it seems legit. sulfur dioxide is used to bleach the sugar and make it white. whiteness has nothing to do with purity, a bunch of chemicals and products are white and look clean but are still toxic. if you search sugar sulfur dioxide there are some things that come up, i havent read through everything yet.

but salt isnt meant to be just sodium chloride, if its just sodium chloride its basically a refined vitamin supplement of sodium chloride, any real salt should have some percentage as trace minerals, sea salt has the toxins issue so pink salt or another salt, I think its called redmond mountain salt based here in the US, are the best despite the iron oxide content. the animal products have sulfur balanced with a bunch of other vitamins/minerals, we arent meant to be consuming sulfur as a supplement, you can consume it but then it can lead to an overload. i think molybdenum is needed to process it, so if you supplement sulfur without molybdenum you can get sulfur intolerance symptoms.
Let me know if you come up with any real proof of your claims. I'm fully aware of everything you are saying, regardless what I said in my previous response stands, your opinions are opinions and without proof of impurity they are just words.

I found this from @Amazoniac
http://file.scirp.org/pdf/NS_2016031715513695.pdf

"Refractive Apparent Purity (also known as polarization or simply purity) describes the capacity of sweeten other substance, besides of being an element that represents more quality of the product [6]. This parameter can be understood as the apparent weight percentage of sucrose. This measure is done in a solution of sugar and can be analyzed due to the deviation of the light in the polarized plane [3][6][16]. The result ranges in a scale of 0 (absence of sucrose in the solution) to 100 (100% of sucrose in the solution) and the result is expressed officially in oZ (degrees Zucker) [6][16]."
"The standard of sucrose concentration that assures the minimum value to white sugars of direct consumption is 99.7oZ (that means 99.7%), which the rest is constituted by impurities [6]. The exceptions to these standards are the types of sugar demerara and brown ones, due to difference in the processing, generally using less or none chemical additives to treat the cane juice, what keeps with similar features of sugarcane juice [17][18]. Consequently, the purity are lower in these types than in the white ones [6][17][18]."
"Besides the insoluble residues, other substances can affect this parameter, such as the starch and correlated molecules (e.g., amylopectin) and high content of ashes. For the mills, the final purity of sugar is key to constantly monitor process quality, because lower results for this parameter can predict problems during sugar processing, mainly in the steps of sugarcane juice treatment and its purification [6][38][39]."

"Color of sugar is expressed in Units (U.I.) of International Commission for Uniform Methods of Sugar Analysis (ICUMSA). It is an important attribute to sugar quality, because can influence the final characteristics of sugar uses (sweetness and color of food) [6][18]. Color is directly related with the size of particulate material (as smaller, more white), which is crucial for the quality of crystal and refined types [6]."
"Insoluble residues and the types of mineral that compound the ashes can influence the color, turning it higher, i.e., more yellow [6]. The darker is a sugar, less preferred it is for the consumers and, due to this behavior, it can be labeled as a sugar with low quality [6][38][39]. In addition, sugar color is also influenced by the carbonized particle content in the product, which are entrained in the process as result of failures in the cleaning process in the equipment and machinery [39][40]."

"Humidity analysis (expressed in percentage) is based in the drying of sugar, under specific conditions of time and temperature [18]. The final result is obtained when weight loss (due to the water removal) becomes constant [18]. Humidity in sugaris one of the more important parameters, because influences the stability, quality (with the appearance of clods and sugar stones) and the composition of sugar [19][20]. The analysis also represents a parameter to evaluate the microbiological contamination due to its higroscopicity (capacity of absorbing water from an environment that offers relative humidity greater than balance) [3][19]-[22]. This property of sucrose is undesirable in function of dextran formation, polymeric material secreted by bacteria of genus Leuconostoc that transforms sucrose in glucopyranosyl (Figure 1) [19][21]. The humidity range to sugar is 0.1% to 3.3% depending of the type sugar, being tolerated until 5% to raw sugar [18][19][23]."
"Unfavorable environmental conditions, like high relative humidity of environment and also intrinsic properties of sugar, like higroscopicity, can cause damages in the results, overestimating them [3][24]."

"Insoluble residues are composed by particulate material, which is in suspension or precipitate in a solution of sugar [6]. Usually, the residues are composed by sugarcane soots, sand, metallic residues, silica and others [6][24]. The lower is its concentration in sugar, higher is the quality of the product and the process [6][16][24]. This aspect is important considering the unit operation of decantation, during the treatment of juice. Sugars, generally, have to present residue content of 10 to 60 mg∙kg−¹ [6]. The higher concentrations occur normally in sugars which unit operations of treatment of sugarcane juice and decantation less aggressive [24]-[26]. Insoluble residues are impurities that consumers can recognize, both visually and by taste [6][24][26]."

"Conductivity ashes analysis consists in removing organic matter of sugar, leaving only the inorganic residue (also known as mineral residues, like calcium, iron, magnesium etc.). This parameter allows characterizing the mineral content of the product by measuring the electric current of the minerals in sugar solution. Higher concentration of ashes in sugar can represent problems during its production, mainly in the step like crystallization and purification. The ashes are related with important parameters of sugar, like color and purity, because it can affect them [6][25][26]."

"To sort crystal sugar in “sugar types”, many parameters are considered and the most important are: purity, insoluble residues, concentration of Sulphur dioxide and color."

And as for your salt claims, in a perfect world maybe it would be ok to just use evaporated sea water salt, but read this Heavy Metal Concentrations In Gourmet Salts

Last edited:

koky

it's hard to find sources on it but this blog run by someone with a severe corn allergy who was tracking all the ways people are exposed to corn wrote this:

"BEEF – PROCESSING:The meat may be sprayed with lactic acid, citric acid, distilled white vinegar from corn, or some other anti-bacterial agent before the meat is hung to age – an anti-bacterial agent is recommended for cattle that are not pasture-fed and –finished (see discussion here). During the processing, the equipment and/or meat may be sprayed with an anti-bacterial. The processed meat may be packaged on a Styrofoam tray containing a citric acid-saturated soaker pad underneath the meat, and then wrapped with shrinkwrap or plastic wrap."

I just spoke to the slaughterhouse where the local meat I buy is processed .
he said they spray lactic acid, not citric acid, to reduce alkalinity as prescribed by usda
I asked if vinegar could be substituted - he said he'd check and get back to me

OP
RealNeat

RealNeat

Dr. B

non organic meats, and even organic meats are allowed to be injected with a citric acid saline solution arent they?
basically even with organic grass fed meat it seems you arent safe in the US. you basically need to stick to milk, yogurt, or whey protein for your daily protein sources. people are also having reactions to gelatin apparently, is that due to some processing problem too? like people had red inflamed skin and skin issues from great lakes gelatin, they pondered if it was due to amino acids in gelatin but maybe its the way gelatin is processed that causes those issues?

OP
RealNeat

RealNeat

non organic meats, and even organic meats are allowed to be injected with a citric acid saline solution arent they?
basically even with organic grass fed meat it seems you arent safe in the US. you basically need to stick to milk, yogurt, or whey protein for your daily protein sources. people are also having reactions to gelatin apparently, is that due to some processing problem too? like people had red inflamed skin and skin issues from great lakes gelatin, they pondered if it was due to amino acids in gelatin but maybe its the way gelatin is processed that causes those issues?
They are also vaccinated, organic or not, who knows what type of issues that causes and what adjuvants are injected.

I use distilled vinegar to clean my house, we use a lot, I wonder if there are unfavorable compounds in it besides the acetic acid leftover from the corn...? I've felt some irritation from it but figured it's just the acid.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals