What's Helpful For Non-Diabetic Neuropathy?

ejalrp

I have a friend that has had non-diabetic neuropathy for several years and it seems to be getting worse as he can barely walk more than 100 yards or so. He is an older fellow (in his mid-70s) and is not about to radically change his diet at this stage of life. Are there any supplements that have a proven significant benefit for neuropathy and hopefully not just in relieving the pain, but more significantly the nerve damage that seems to be the proximate cause of the pain? Many thanks.

tara

I don't have any special knowledge or experience with this, so don't treat it as expert advise, but a couple of thoughts.

How's general metabolism and nutrition? Basic nutritional needs being met? Plenty of carbs, protein, enough B-vits but not excessive B6? Magnesium? Body temps and pulse?
Breathing? I imagine that keeping CO2 levels in good range might be relevant. CO2 helps calm nerves.
I wonder if progesterone or pregnenolone could be useful, but I'm not confident about suggesting suitable doses (other than starting small if he's going to try either of them).
Tried avoiding MSG and other extra-neurostimulating substances?

whit

I would submit redlight might help for localized issues where it's available.
It still needs to be coupled with a healthy lifestyle.
You may get more support with greater clairity on his daily habits/diet.

Rafe

When my 80-yo dad complained of pain & tingling on the backs of his arms I told him to stop taking so much b6. I had noticed he also had worsening, angry rosacea, and was belching more over a few days. When I said that, I didn't know what supplements my dad was taking, but I know my dad: he can down a lot of conventional, but high-priced vitamins. Turns out he was taking a total of 1000 mg. of b6 each day for a few weeks. That's one possibility that would have gotten overlooked if I hadn't read RP. All the symptoms improved immediately after stopping the b6. Plus all the other things listed in the above posts. Good luck.

Birdie

When my 80-yo dad complained of pain & tingling on the backs of his arms I told him to stop taking so much b6. I had noticed he also had worsening, angry rosacea, and was belching more over a few days. When I said that, I didn't know what supplements my dad was taking, but I know my dad: he can down a lot of conventional, but high-priced vitamins. Turns out he was taking a total of 1000 mg. of b6 each day for a few weeks. That's one possibility that would have gotten overlooked if I hadn't read RP. All the symptoms improved immediately after stopping the b6. Plus all the other things listed in the above posts. Good luck.
I learned about this B6 problem in school 30+ years ago, and yet, about 3 years ago, began to take too much B6 and my neuropathy worsened.
Took me a while to wake up and notice! Not taking it now but still have some neuropathy. (I am prone to it possibly as a result of childhood polio.)
Good that you noticed all this.

VINI

I don't have any special knowledge or experience with this, so don't treat it as expert advise, but a couple of thoughts.

How's general metabolism and nutrition? Basic nutritional needs being met? Plenty of carbs, protein, enough B-vits but not excessive B6? Magnesium? Body temps and pulse?
Breathing? I imagine that keeping CO2 levels in good range might be relevant. CO2 helps calm nerves.
I wonder if progesterone or pregnenolone could be useful, but I'm not confident about suggesting suitable doses (other than starting small if he's going to try either of them).
Tried avoiding MSG and other extra-neurostimulating substances?
Aspartame, [nutrasweet] was reported as a neurotoxin. Remove them from his diet and log changes. Research other neurotoxins.
Since Jun 10, 2010, I have had spreading, increasing, body-wide SENSORY neuropathy giving me searing pain at level 8-10 w/o 2 opiates that manage it mostly.
I worked as a Senior Scientist/Electronics engineer for 24+ years in San Antonio TX.
For the last 6 days pregnenolone seems to have helped with pain and fatigue. First improvements in 14 months.
I was informed about pregnenolone by reading online articles by Dr Forest Tenent, Pain Management. His articles documenting combining stimulants like pseudoephedrine with opiates has reduced my opiate use 40% daily for 6 months now. Truly astonishing. He has practiced 40+ years in CA.

Watson350

2000 mcgs biotin and superior labs boswellia extract 2 capsules which includes 7.5 mg black pepper, 100 mg leucine and 500 mg boswellia serrata extract. It is important to note curcumin with bioprine did wonders for me however I had side effects like finasteride.

StrongMom

I learned about this B6 problem in school 30+ years ago, and yet, about 3 years ago, began to take too much B6 and my neuropathy worsened.
Took me a while to wake up and notice! Not taking it now but still have some neuropathy. (I am prone to it possibly as a result of childhood polio.)
Good that you noticed all this.
@ejalrp

B6 is confusing really. I have mild symptoms of neuropathy that come and go. In the past, i took vit b6 and it seemed to help. But at some point i stopped almost all supplements as i was oversupplementing i think; numbness, tingling, and some associated swallowing issues are ongoing though. I just had a hair analysis done ( i am not sure how reliable they are) and i turned out deficient in vit b6.

I would try sublingual B12. For some it seems to work because they lack gut health needed to make their own B12 and neuropathy is a result

VINI

2000 mcgs biotin and superior labs boswellia extract 2 capsules which includes 7.5 mg black pepper, 100 mg leucine and 500 mg boswellia serrata extract. It is important to note curcumin with bioprine did wonders for me however I had side effects like finasteride.
Thank you sir.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals