What's A Matta Wit Da Banana?

natedawggh

Dean said:
If you are up against the wall on liquid intake and needing density, how detrimental is going with a few bananas a day? Based on an estrogen in fruit chart that Danwich posted in another thread, the estrogen content of dates and other dried fruit is through the roof. Bananas are low.

Blinkyrocket said:
I hope someone gives a good explanation for this as well, seeing as the banana is my absolute favorite fruit, I could eat 10 of those a day, no joke.

"what's a matta wit da banana?"

Hilarious.

Bananas are one of those things Ray says could be problematic. That's the key word. Could. If you aren't having any digestive or allergic responses when eating a banana, then I'm sure it's fine (and they joy of eating one will release good hormones, which is what Ray is all about). Of course, if you are having any digestive issues you should probably not have them. Just a common sense situation. Yes, it's the starch setting off endotoxin from the bacteria. But if you have a robust digestive system the starch will be digested, and if you have a robust liver it can handle the endotoxin. IF.

Zachs said:
Almost nothing in my diet is a "stressed industrial" food. I buy my meat from a local grass-fed farmer, eggs and goat milk from another who is 100% organic and raw. I buy most of any greens, carrots and berries that I buy from local farms. In fact, lately, everything I have eaten besides some awesome cotton candy grapes and some watermelon has been local and sustainably produced.

Where do you live?

natedawggh said:
Yes, it's the starch setting off endotoxin from the bacteria.

Where'd you get that? Bcuz I don't see it here, the word starch is only mentioned twice out of 116 quotes on endotoxin:

http://www.functionalps.com/blog/2012/1 ... endotoxin/

Perhaps we should take it easy clicking that link Wilfrid posted, since the servers are delicate and entirely crowd-funded in Russia, and certain people have an absolute need for it to progress in their academic career in less fortunate institutions.

Wilfrid

Such_Saturation said:
Perhaps we should take it easy clicking that link Wilfrid posted, since the servers are delicate and entirely crowd-funded in Russia, and certain people have an absolute need for it to progress in their academic career in less fortunate institutions.

You're right, Such_Saturation. My bad.
I removed the link I originally posted. There are so much studies' abstract posted here that I thought it would be more informative for the forum's members to have a full access to the study rather than just to the abstract, as many variable are often included and need to be known to get the whole picture.
Off topic here but I came recently aware of one of those interesting variable....
One of my wife best friend is actually doing research on treatment for cancer. He kindly sent me a study that showed that something as simple as the assay members' gender is enough to mislead the whole interpretation of the final result. As a man ( that's not the case when the assay person is a woman) presence in the room ( or even a T-shirt with a man' scent! ) during the experimentation is enough to initiate the whole stress cascade hormones in the rodents and thus modify the dose/response and the efficacity of a given/injected drug/substance. As the stress hormones release is affecting the rodent's whole body homeostasis and its drug/substance metabolizing capacities.... Something that we are, all, well informed ( for humans as well as for rodents) about, thanks to RP crystal clear articles/explanation about the connection between hormones and health. ( When telling this, I remembered Ray quoting Lucas Turin's work on perfumes/volatile substances and their ( often negative ) impact on one's endocrine system. )

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24776635 ( only the abstract ;) )
http://www.the-scientist.com/?articles. ... se-Stress/

Other interesting variable is the circadian rythm of rodents that is totally different than ours but that's also another story.
Anyway, that's not the case for this serotonin loaded bananas' study... :D

marcar72

Bananas in the end were problematic for me and I never really did like them all too much, so I nixed them... :2cents

Wilfrid said:
You're right, Such_Saturation. My bad.
I removed the link I originally posted. There are so much studies' abstract posted here that I thought it would be more informative for the forum's members to have a full access to the study rather than just to the abstract, as many variable are often included and need to be known to get the whole picture.
Off topic here but I came recently aware of one of those interesting variable....
One of my wife best friend is actually doing research on treatment for cancer. He kindly sent me a study that showed that something as simple as the assay members' gender is enough to mislead the whole interpretation of the final result. As a man ( that's not the case when the assay person is a woman) presence in the room ( or even a T-shirt with a man' scent! ) during the experimentation is enough to initiate the whole stress cascade hormones in the rodents and thus modify the dose/response and the efficacity of a given/injected drug/substance. As the stress hormones release is affecting the rodent's whole body homeostasis and its drug/substance metabolizing capacities.... Something that we are, all, well informed ( for humans as well as for rodents) about, thanks to RP crystal clear articles/explanation about the connection between hormones and health. ( When telling this, I remembered Ray quoting Lucas Turin's work on perfumes/volatile substances and their ( often negative ) impact on one's endocrine system. )

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24776635 ( only the abstract ;) )
http://www.the-scientist.com/?articles. ... se-Stress/

Other interesting variable is the circadian rythm of rodents that is totally different than ours but that's also another story.
Anyway, that's not the case for this serotonin loaded bananas' study... :D

Wow that's crazy!

schultz

I ran across a study about bananas in regards to serotonin and thought some of you may find it interesting.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/13811537

Abstract:
From previous studies on serotonin it seemed possible that it might play a major role in determining the rhythm of the bowel in man. This hypothesis was tested, with negative results, by observing the effect of giving bananas, a rich natural source of serotonin, to normal subjects and by measuring the excretion of 5-hydroxyindolacetic acid in patients with diarrhea.

Here are some quotes from the study that I think are apposite to the discussion.

"It is therefore important to realize that the ingestion of a few bananas will raise the urinary 5-H.I.A.A. above the normal range because of their large content of serotonin. Of this a high proportion, possibly as much as 100%, is rapidly excreted as 5-H.I.A.A. in normal individuals..."

"None of the subjects who ate bananas suffered from diarrhea or any other abdominal symptoms although some of them consumed about 30 mg. of serotonin daily for a week, and their urinary 5-H.I.A.A. was elevated into the range commonly regarded as diagnostic of carcinoid tumour."

"The daily ingestion of large amounts of serotonin in bananas did not effect bowel function in man, in contrast to the effect of oral and intraluminal 5-H.T. in animals."

"A high percentage of the 5-H.T. content of the bananas was rapidly excreted as 5-H.I.A.A. in the urine..."

Clearly bananas contain an abundance of serotonin. The real question is whether or not that serotonin is having any sort of biological effect. Maybe, at least in healthy individuals, a lot of the serotonin is rapidly excreted and really has no effect.

Personally, I believe that eating a banana really is not a big deal. Ray himself has said that all fruit tends to be on balance more than alternative things like grain, legumes and various starches (and he was talking about bananas in this statement). So the banana may be the worst of the best food.

Lastly, it all comes down to how the individual handles it. I don't really like them myself.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals