What's A Good Alternative To Milk?

Obi-wan

I have access to raw milk but can't beat the taste of whipped cream in my coffee with Cocoa powder...

Travis

Are soy milk and almond milk worth a shot?

I wouldn't buy those on account of their ω−6 fatty acid content, and although coconut milk is good on many things I don't like it with coffee. In my experience, good coffee needs nothing to accompany it.

Even though homogenized cows' milk presents an autoimmune risk, the never-homogenized & non-folate-receptor-homologous goats' milk does not. I cannot conceive of one objection to goats' milk.

[Psst: My neighbor's cat is lactating, so perhaps we can work out a deal. Message me if you're interested. . . I can ship with ice.]

Last edited:

Travis

That is brilliant as well. It gets rid of the homogenization of proteins, as long as no caseinate derivatives are added, so it's technically immunoallergen free besides very small amounts of lactose.

I was thinking the same thing. Heavy cream shouldn't have encapsulated bovine folate receptor, and very little at that.

T

tca300

Even though homogenized cows' milk presents an autoimmune risk

Have you mentioned information about this elsewhere? I did a search and nothing came up. Could you point me in the direction on information about this? Thank you!

tara

I've tried coconut milk today, tasted like water flavoured bounty, wasn't creamy at all.
If you get coconut butter, you can mix it with a little hot water and leave it to sit and swell for a while to make a paste as thick as you like. If you don't like the flavour that won't help, but if it's the texture and intensity/wateriness, you can experiment with varying those.

Arrade

Cashew, soy, or almond milk, or most if not all nut/seed milks are not 'peaty.' Many if not most really add up in their PUFA content after few servings and have other additives. I used to not handle milk well but as my health improved and thyroid got better, that changed. But even when I couldn't handle milk, soy and nut milks were worse for me and caused extrme bloating and indigestion. Coconut milk is probably the only 'peaty' alternative. You can make a great milk alternative thats not very high in fat and tastes great with young coconuts and a blender. If you can handle whey, then add that in for protein. I don't think whey is that bad in smaller amounts as long as it's balanced with gelatin and calcium from other sources. Undenatured whey protein powder often still has a decent amount of calcium and add some hydrolyzed gelatin in and you got a high protein coconut milk. And glycine to balance out the tryptophan, as well as the BCAA's. I personally get raw milk from A2 cows so I'm not worried about the proteins and handle it very well. I don't get the mental cloudiness and skin irritation from A2 raw dairy that I get from UHT A1 milk. Perhaps you may want to try looking into that to see how you handle A2 raw dairy.
+1
Idk how you all can suggest soy milk it’s an absolute poison.
And nut milk...

Wagner83

I cannot conceive of one objection to goats' milk.

[Psst: My neighbor's cat is lactating, so perhaps we can work out a deal. Message me if you're interested. . . I can ship with ice.]
Taste! I could buy raw goat milk at some point and it was horrendous, I can't imagine mixing this with coffee or anything else for that matter. Maybe they should be given pineapples to improve the flavor.

Travis

Taste! I could buy raw goat milk at some point and it was horrendous, I can't imagine mixing this with coffee or anything else for that matter. Maybe they should be given pineapples to improve the flavor.

I had bought some pasteurized goats' milk once or twice, and the one I had tried was kinda watery. This did not supply the body I was looking for, but after giving up espresso I had stopped caring about milk-based coffee drinks altogether. Heavy cream was always the best for those.
Does homogenized skim milk pose the same risk?
Is skim milk even homogenized to begin with, or do they just skim-off the cream? It would be pointless to homogenize a milk having 0% fat so 'homogenized skim milk' could be a misnomer, or perhaps even an oxymoron. It would obviously be more difficult to separate the cream from the milk after it had been homogenized than before, yet there could perhaps be distribution/economical reasons why it's still done regardless of the apparent illogic behind it.

Travis

Have you mentioned information about this elsewhere? I did a search and nothing came up. Could you point me in the direction on information about this? Thank you!
Sure. You perhaps could start reading here, and then read down a few comments until you see the studies cited as evidence.

Mito

Is skim milk even homogenized to begin with, or do they just skim-off the cream?
The label on skim milk says it is homogenized. The label also says zero grams of fat but obviously it must contain a small amount?

raypeatclips

I had bought some pasteurized goats' milk once or twice, and the one I had tried was kinda watery. This did not supply the body I was looking for, but after giving up espresso I had stopped caring about milk-based coffee drinks altogether. Heavy cream was always the best for those.

Is skim milk even homogenized to begin with, or do they just skim-off the cream? It would be pointless to homogenize a milk having 0% fat so 'homogenized skim milk' could be a misnomer, or perhaps even an oxymoron. It would obviously be more difficult to separate the cream from the milk after it had been homogenized than before, yet there could perhaps be distribution/economical reasons why it's still done regardless of the apparent illogic behind it.

How come you gave up espresso, I thought you loved coffee?

Travis

How come you gave up espresso, I thought you loved coffee?

I do like coffee of all types, but I had one of those classic La Pavoni lever devices (c. 1979); this takes too much effort for just one little shot, especially considering how many shots I'd drink per day. I re-sold it on ebay.com for a small profit.

I find the French press more convenient and versatile: It is easy to modify the coffee's strength, and also possible to cold-brew coffee using one of these. The French press takes very little effort to maintain, and should last forever if you don't break it.

Last edited:

Travis

The label on skim milk says it is homogenized. The label also says zero grams of fat but obviously it must contain a small amount?

But does skimmed milk have enough triglycerides to spontaneously form liposomes and/or micelles? or must there be a critical concentration of lipids in solution before they will acquire these forms?

Mito

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

serling78

Cashew milk, almond milk, oat milk
What's the consensus on oat milk? I went on a long quest earlier this year and tried all the milk alternatives, but it seems like they all have something bad about them. I can't remember what is bad about oat milk though.

Lurker

What's the consensus on oat milk? I went on a long quest earlier this year and tried all the milk alternatives, but it seems like they all have something bad about them. I can't remember what is bad about oat milk though.

Starch, PUFA, fake vitamins, preservatives, and gums. I don’t see anything Peaty here.​

INGREDIENTS

Oatmilk (Filtered Water, Oat Concentrate), Contains 2% or less of: Sunflower Oil, Vitamin and Mineral Blend (Calcium Carbonate, Vitamin A Palmitate, Vitamin D2, Riboflavin [B2], Vitamin B12), Dipotassium Phosphate, Sea Salt, Gellan Gum, Locust Bean Gum, Ascorbic Acid (To Protect Freshness), Natural Flavor.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals