What You Need To Know About Climate Change - Waking Up Podcast

jaa

What You Need to Know About Climate Change

Thought a few people who are on the fence may be interested in this podcast. In it, Joseph Romm dispels many climate change myths as well as explaining the framework the current consensus is operating under. Some highlights:

- If we sum the non-human contributions to climate change, the earth should be going through a cooling period
- Nearly all the warming is man made (maybe like 75% on a naturally warm year)
- Models are underestimating amount of ice loss. This is one of the best real world indicators of climate change.
- A few degrees increase in average temperatures shifts the bell curve to the right. 1:1000 events become much more frequent (~1 per decade)
- Models are constantly refined, but they're just models. That doesn't mean they're incorrect or lack any real world value (Scott Adams should know better). If anything, they seem to be underestimating the impact by not accounting for unknown feedback loops.

L

lollipop

Thanks for sharing @jaa. I appreciate knowing all sides of the discussion. It will be interesting to watch it all play out in real time. We, as a planet, should have a clear picture in the next 20-50 yrs. Whichever side one falls on this issue, the main takeaway for me is to create earth friendly technologies that support life in all its divisions to thrive sustainably.

OP
J

jaa

Thanks for sharing @jaa. I appreciate knowing all sides of the discussion. It will be interesting to watch it all play out in real time. We, as a planet, should have a clear picture in the next 20-50 yrs. Whichever side one falls on this issue, the main takeaway for me is to create earth friendly technologies that support life in all its divisions to thrive sustainably.

Agreed. Even if you think the case scientists claim is only like 10% likely it's pragmatic to take steps to avoid the worst outcomes in that event. I think almost everyone (myself included) discounts the well being of future humans when taking action today. Hell, I discount the well being of my future self way too much all the time.

L

lollipop

Hell, I discount the well being of my future self way too much all the time.
Sooo true. We ALL have actually, either consciously, knowingly OR unconsciously, unknowingly.

yerrag

I hope you understand that the mainstream narrative pillories carbon dioxide. There is a Swiss-based company that builds machines that sequesters carbon dioxide from "our" air.

People in this forum understand that our air is lacking in deficient already in carbon dioxide. We know carbon dioxide is central to our health. Wouldn't the act of sequestering carbon dioxide from our air be considered a malevolent act, if not a crime?

Yet, it is as if the climate change narrative encourages further reduction of carbon dioxide from our air. Tell me of one climate change activist that denies that carbon dioxide is bad for us. Why do they have to misrepresent carbon dioxide? It is the same kind of deception that says saturated fat is bad because it solidifies in the refrigerator, and is therefore going to clog our arteries. Feeding off ignorance to push an agenda.

NathanK

I hope you understand that the mainstream narrative pillories carbon dioxide. There is a Swiss-based company that builds machines that sequesters carbon dioxide from "our" air.

People in this forum understand that our air is lacking in deficient already in carbon dioxide. We know carbon dioxide is central to our health. Wouldn't the act of sequestering carbon dioxide from our air be considered a malevolent act, if not a crime?

Yet, it is as if the climate change narrative encourages further reduction of carbon dioxide from our air. Tell me of one climate change activist that denies that carbon dioxide is bad for us. Why do they have to misrepresent carbon dioxide? It is the same kind of deception that says saturated fat is bad because it solidifies in the refrigerator, and is therefore going to clog our arteries. Feeding off ignorance to push an agenda.
:yeahthat
Its hard to have any meaningful conversation about climate change when the narrative is CO2 is public enemy #1

yerrag

:yeahthat
Its hard to have any meaningful conversation about climate change when the narrative is CO2 is public enemy #1
They need to be put on an ICU with oxygen ventilators on them. The healthier they are to start with, the better to make a point through their thick skull. When they understand CO2 is not a poison as much as pure oxygen is, then they can drop their misguided advocacy.

x-ray peat

I think it's important to point out that this guy is not a climate scientist and has about as much expertise in the area as anyone else with PhD in a tangentially related area, not much. His background is in policy and in energy efficiency and renewable energy which is very different than climate science. For anyone who is aware of the Rockefeller Foundation and their history of manipulating society it should be interesting to note that he was a Rockefeller Fellow at the Foundation. Probably still is, as blog writing about climate change doesn't really pay the bills.

Back
Top Bottom