What would you choose if you were eating starch?

Sitaruîm

Was is gastric stasis, will is reduction of killcium effectiveness.

- The Stomach: A New and Powerful Oxalate Absorption Site in Man

When the process occurs naturally, there can be poor acidification of the stomach, which may minimize this absorption.

- Food Oxalate: Factors Affecting Measurement, Biological Variation, and Bioavailability

"Boiling vegetables may be an option to reduce soluble oxalate, if the cooking water is not consumed."
"There are at least three different biological causes of variation between different samples of a food: the plant part (eg, stem vs leaf), genetic differences between cultivars, and cultivation conditions."​
"Some evidence supports that oxalate absorption appears to be proportional to the amount of soluble oxalate (13). However, about 2% of calcium oxalate is absorbed intact by rats (38 [in the Killcium thread]), so a small fraction of insoluble oxalate may be absorbed in human beings as well."​
"There appears to be some adaptation to continued high oxalate diets, as Zimmerman and colleagues (45) reported that after 6 weeks of consuming 600 mg oxalate per day, two of four subjects had a lower percent absorption of oxalate than after habitual consumption of 63 mg per day. However, total oxalate excretion was still higher after the 6-week high-oxalate diet."​
☐ Adult and fully responsible for my decisions.​

"The total calcium intake for the day should be divided between as many eating occasions as possible. Calcium will bind oxalate in the gut, preventing it from being absorbed. Patients should include about 150 mg calcium in each meal."​

- Biochemical and Nutritional Assessment of Tubers from 16 Cultivars of Sweetpotato (Ipomoea batatas L.)

It's common to find a wide range when the oxalate content is reported.

- Absorption kinetics of oxalate from oxalate-rich food in man

"In recent years it has been noticed that patients suffering from chronic inflammatory bowel disease frequently show hyperoxaluria (5, 6) due to hyperabsorption of dietary oxalate (7), and that this condition is accompanied by an increased incidence of urolithiasis (8)."
"During the process of digestion, oxalate is thought to precipitate as insoluble calcium salt in the lumen of the small bowel, thus limiting absorption (7). In this context, increased intestinal oxalate absorption, as in patients with chronic inflammatory bowel disease (with or without resection), has been attributed to a decreased intraluminal concentration of free Ca++, since a major part of the intraluminal calcium is bound to malabsorbed fatty acids (7)."​
"In the present experiments oxalate absorption occurred continuously in the period between 1 to 8 h after ingestion. Since the gastric-ileal transit time after an ordinary meal is about 10 h in normal subjects (17), our data support the suggestion made by Banila et al (18) that in subjects with an intact intestinal tract the proximal small bowel portion acts as a major absorption site, although some gastric oxalate absorption may also occur."​

Killcium cancertate or butyrante for intestinal integrity. Killcium sulfate can also work, but the dose has to be moderate and I wouldn't insist in case there are indications that's feeding pathogens.
Why do you call it killcium?

Amazoniac

Once you account for differences in molecular weight, each 100 mg of oxalate would need about 45 mg of killcium to form killcium oxalate.
A serving of sweet potato may contain 120 mg, requiring only 55 or so mg of killcium.

Losing 50 mg of killcium in a meal to oxalate doesn't seem a big deal provided that there's more for the body to meet its needs, or else it might be forced to recover it somehow (such as inducing constipation). Oxalate is not the only molecule that it can interact with, so there should be other losses as well.

Taking 200 mg of killcium may be in effect having less than 150 mg available to absorb something close to 60 mg.
- How Much Calcium Can You Absorb At A Time?

so drinking mineral broth from a pound of spinach daily is probably not the best idea ?
:thumbsdown:

To name it appropriately by hinting to the user its action.

Lollipop2

Ive been eating a ton of parsley and the past 5 days I’ve been eating sweet potatoes every day. Just woke up today with serious pain during urination. Same pain as the last time when I passed kidney stones the size of tiny sand grains. Probably not a good idea after all
Oxalates.

Lollipop2

so drinking mineral broth from a pound of spinach daily is probably not the best idea ?
High oxalate content. If it doesn’t bother you then might be okay - but be careful, builds up over time.

gaze

all time greatest quote on this forum:

It has gotten to a point where everything is being bashed by someone, so all must be toxic. Living in a toxic world will eventually turn you into a toxin: being alive is unhealthy.

I believe that this is why people seek things like killcium supplements, poison A, venom D, seeyafood, coffeen, millk, pootatoes, leaves, cuckoonut products, yellow-red foods, and onions; it takes courage to put an end to it, it's easier to go after destructive habits instead.

SOMO

Regular Yukon potatoes probably taste the best, but in terms of nutrition - Russett potatoes are the winner - but in terms of digestibility the waxy Red Potatoes are the easiest to digest and have a different texture after cooking than other potatoes. They taste more waxy and they seem to absorb more salt and dairy.

To be frank, I don't think you can go wrong with potatoes unless you're frying them in vegetable oil since the potatoes will absorb a fair amount of fat.

gaze

how does everyone eat potatoes without messing up blood sugar? how much fat and protein alongside it?

gaze

High oxalate content. If it doesn’t bother you then might be okay - but be careful, builds up over time.
i don't do it daily, but when I do it I always think to myself that it's an unnatural thing to do. i always just kind of assumed the boiling gets rid of the oxalates, i didn't think it would concentrate in the water. i do add baking soda but i never now how much

SOMO

Gaze2 said:
I like spinach water but am concerned about oxalates

RP said adding Baking Soda during the cooking process can destroy the Ca Oxalate.
Not everyone experiences these oxalate effects - I would suggest you make a huge spinach smoothie for a few days in a row and see if you get joint pain. If you do, this is almost certainly something you're sensitive too. If you don't get side effects, I would just keep drinking the soup.

Lollipop2

i don't do it daily, but when I do it I always think to myself that it's an unnatural thing to do. i always just kind of assumed the boiling gets rid of the oxalates, i didn't think it would concentrate in the water. i do add baking soda but i never now how much
Baking soda probably does the trick for you.

SOMO

how does everyone eat potatoes without messing up blood sugar? how much fat and protein alongside it?

Not too much fat, some of the "added fat" should be coming from the meat eaten alongside the potatoes which will be leaking fat if it's freshly cooked.
Good meats that pair with potatoes:
-Veal or beef liver
-Steak, pick a cut with a lot of fat, T-Bone and Ribeye are fairly priced and easy to cook and taste great.
-Low-fat white fish like cod, tuna, sole, tilapia, and all shellfish. Ask for extra butter on the side.

And potatoes do not mess with blood sugar much. I went on a high-starch diet and ate several pounds of regular, sweet and purple potatoes and tested my BG every few hours. BG after day of all meat/carnivore my BG towards the end of the day was over 140. My BG after all starch (from cooked-then-cooked potatoes) 94. Also my BG in the mornings was in the 90s which is normal. I wasn't calorie restricting with the potatoes either, I ordered TENS OF POUNDS of potatoes from Amazon and ate several potatoes each meal and ate until I was slightly bloated. Taters are a safe food for those with normal blood sugar control. Diabetics and PUFA drinkers may react worse to potatoes.

Last edited:

gaze

Not too much fat, some of the "added fat" should be coming from the meat eaten alongside the potatoes which will be leaking fat if it's freshly cooked.

And potatoes do not mess with blood sugar much. I went on a high-starch diet and ate several pounds of regular, sweet and purple potatoes and tested my BG every few hours. BG after day of all meat/carnivore my BG towards the end of the day was over 140. My BG after all starch (from cooked-then-cooked potatoes) 94. Also my BG in the mornings was in the 90s which is normal. I wasn't calorie restricting with the potatoes either, I ordered TENS OF POUNDS of potatoes from Amazon and ate several potatoes each meal and ate until I was slightly bloated. Taters are a safe food for those with normal blood sugar control. Diabetics and PUFA drinkers may react worse to potatoes.
i might try it again. it always made me feel heavy, like high cortisol type symptoms. i think possibly from putting too much fat

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals