What would you choose if you were eating starch?

ursidae

Organic regular potatoes or conventionally grown white flesh sweet potatoes?

K

Kaur Singh

this is something from a few decades ago, when a family member had diabetes,
batatas (sweet potatoes) do not have the same composition as potatoes
the sugar or starches are different.
And they were actually beneficial for diabetics:
not only could they eat them - it helped glucose regulation issues.

I don't know if this is misguided or not.
One would have to research

OP
U

ursidae

My skin tolerates white sweet potatoes much better than the regular ones. As much as I’ve come a long way improving m my tolerance for the regular ones, I can tell from the redness of my skin that I’m innately intolerant. Grain starches don’t appeal to me and they’re likely a bad idea for the gut lining. Can’t tolerate dairy so I need starch or I lose a lot of weight. On the other hand sweet potatoes contain even more oxalate than regular ones and all tubers accumulate high amount of pesticides. If I go down the sweet potato route I won’t have immediate inflammation but the effects of high oxalate and high pesticides will creep up over time. As for regular potatoes, if you make them a daily staple, even if you avoid the green ones you’ll inevitably ingest some of the solanine. So here is the dilemma. As for the orange sweet potatoes, they sell organic ones here but the taste is repulsive to me and they have far too much carotene

清貴杉山

I once heard RP state that he preferred white potatoes over sweet potatoes, but I cannot recall why.
fermentable fibers and most sweet potatos has a ***t ton of carotene,white ones just solve 1 problem,i love sweet potatos but they made me gassy before

Amazoniac

I would choose the non-organic option because a chronic bad reaction due to intolerance (that shows no sign of improvement) must be harsher than the pesticide residues after proper preparation.

Not being a sloth in dumping tubers in a pan with skin is a good start. Organic or not, that's where the compounds with "vitamin" A-like activity concentrate. Some varieties are selected for being safer for consumers and less susceptible to plagues.

- Changes in concentration of pesticide residues in potatoes during washing and home preparation

1631550962820.png

Was is harvest-to-table length?

- Level and fate of chlorpropham in potatoes during storage and processing

There's the known attempt to make oxalate insoluble with extra killcium and the intestines moving fast should prevent the absorption of the intact salt formed. Also, there is countries in Africa where people have the habit of pairing sweet potatoes with bananas, the additional "pyridoxine" may help in this regard. In case you enjoy them but find disagreeable, perhaps cooking improves digestiblity; can be from a stage of ripeness of preference, no need to associate cooking with unripe bananas. If necessary, adding a bit of supplemental pyridoxine should be fine.

I would choose the non-organic option because a chronic bad reaction due to intolerance (that shows no sign of improvement) must be harsher than the pesticide residues after proper preparation.

Not being a sloth in dumping tubers in a pan with skin is a good start. Organic or not, that's where the compounds with "vitamin" A-like activity concentrate. Some varieties are selected for being safer for consumers and less susceptible to plagues.

- Changes in concentration of pesticide residues in potatoes during washing and home preparation

There's the known attempt to make oxalate insoluble with extra killcium and the intestines moving fast should prevent the absorption of the intact salt formed. Also, there is countries in Africa where people have the habit of pairing sweet potatoes with bananas, the additional "pyridoxine" may help in this regard. In case you enjoy them but find disagreeable, perhaps cooking improves digestiblity; can be from a stage of ripeness of preference, no need to associate cooking with unripe bananas. If necessary, adding a bit of supplemental pyridoxine should be fine.
I wonder if organic makes a difference? Or also maybe ozonating the potatoes in water before cooking?

OP
U

ursidae

Very good information, thank you
I peel them already. Will be looking at a form of calcium supplement that won’t disturb digestion of the tubers or slow down peristalsis

Amazoniac

Very good information, thank you
I peel them already. Will be looking at a form of calcium supplement that won’t disturb digestion of the tubers or slow down peristalsis
Possibly with phosphate. Its absorption is superior to that of killcium, yet incomplete. Hopefully it's enough to make room for oxalate and not much else, yielding relatively inert complexes. Other forms would probably call for lower doses.

Lollipop2

Organic white potatoes would be my choice because of taste preference. Ultimately I think what serves you better in terms of nutrition, body’s reaction and taste would be the choice to make.

gaze

so white potatoes are more likely to bring about this condition than sweet potatoes ?

edit: never mind, realized you're referring to urisdaes experience

Last edited:

Peatogenic

I eat red potatoes, parsnips, rice, beets, and croissants. I always eat starch with a fruit.

gaze

the glycemic index of white potatoes is usually too difficult for me to get right. too much in one sitting causes problems both with blood sugar spike and the fiber. too little leaves me calorie deficient and causes a protein stress response. and putting too much fat to try and block the sugar spike makes me feel off.

basmati rice, meat, and a little bit of fat i can basically eat as much as i want till satiation and feel good after. i haven't tried sweet potatoes but i'm pretty sure the glycemic index is similar to basmati. i like starches that can be eaten till satiation without a huge stress response after. potatoes always seem to have a maximum amount.

OP
U

ursidae

Ive been eating a ton of parsley and the past 5 days I’ve been eating sweet potatoes every day. Just woke up today with serious pain during urination. Same pain as the last time when I passed kidney stones the size of tiny sand grains. Probably not a good idea after all

If you tolerate them well - go for white potatoes - cheaper and more availability. I can’t tolerate white ones, do I go for sweet potatoes. Unfortunately it’s high in oxalates, so I eat them occasionally.

Amazoniac

Was is gastric stasis, will is reduction of killcium effectiveness.

- The Stomach: A New and Powerful Oxalate Absorption Site in Man

Abstract said:
New information is provided regarding the site and nature of intestinal oxalate absorption in man.

Intestinal absorption of oxalate was assessed indirectly from the increase in renal oxalate excretion following gastric administration of 5 mmol. oxalate loads.

Four different types of loads have been used: sodium oxalate, sodium oxalate plus calcium gluconate, rhubarb and spinach.

Studies were performed in 6 adult patients on permanent gastric tube feeding for various reasons. Gastric emptying was blocked by an intrapyloric balloon for the duration of the experiments and the gastric oxalate load was evacuated before the balloon was deflated.

Under these conditions calcium oxalate was absorbed to the same extent as soluble oxalate.

With increasing gastric loading time there is a linear increase in the urinary oxalate excretion: 15 to 21% of the gastric oxalate load appeared in the urine after 2 hours of loading, 24 to 45% after 4 hours and as much as 62% after 6 hours.

These absorption kinetics and our experiment suggest that the stomach is not only just another oxalate absorption site but seems to be the critical site for intestinal oxalate absorption in an intact gastrointestinal tract. This finding opens a new field for the discussion of etiology and pathogenesis of calcium oxalate stone formation.

When the process occurs naturally, there can be poor acidification of the stomach, which may minimize this absorption.

- Food Oxalate: Factors Affecting Measurement, Biological Variation, and Bioavailability

"Boiling vegetables may be an option to reduce soluble oxalate, if the cooking water is not consumed."

"There are at least three different biological causes of variation between different samples of a food: the plant part (eg, stem vs leaf), genetic differences between cultivars, and cultivation conditions."

"Some evidence supports that oxalate absorption appears to be proportional to the amount of soluble oxalate (13). However, about 2% of calcium oxalate is absorbed intact by rats (38 [in the Killcium thread]), so a small fraction of insoluble oxalate may be absorbed in human beings as well."

"There appears to be some adaptation to continued high oxalate diets, as Zimmerman and colleagues (45) reported that after 6 weeks of consuming 600 mg oxalate per day, two of four subjects had a lower percent absorption of oxalate than after habitual consumption of 63 mg per day. However, total oxalate excretion was still higher after the 6-week high-oxalate diet."

☐ Adult and fully responsible for my decisions.​

"The total calcium intake for the day should be divided between as many eating occasions as possible. Calcium will bind oxalate in the gut, preventing it from being absorbed. Patients should include about 150 mg calcium in each meal."

- Biochemical and Nutritional Assessment of Tubers from 16 Cultivars of Sweetpotato (Ipomoea batatas L.)

1631662429707.png

It's common to find a wide range when the oxalate content is reported.

- Absorption kinetics of oxalate from oxalate-rich food in man

"In recent years it has been noticed that patients suffering from chronic inflammatory bowel disease frequently show hyperoxaluria (5, 6) due to hyperabsorption of dietary oxalate (7), and that this condition is accompanied by an increased incidence of urolithiasis (8)."

"During the process of digestion, oxalate is thought to precipitate as insoluble calcium salt in the lumen of the small bowel, thus limiting absorption (7). In this context, increased intestinal oxalate absorption, as in patients with chronic inflammatory bowel disease (with or without resection), has been attributed to a decreased intraluminal concentration of free Ca++, since a major part of the intraluminal calcium is bound to malabsorbed fatty acids (7)."

"In the present experiments oxalate absorption occurred continuously in the period between 1 to 8 h after ingestion. Since the gastric-ileal transit time after an ordinary meal is about 10 h in normal subjects (17), our data support the suggestion made by Banila et al (18) that in subjects with an intact intestinal tract the proximal small bowel portion acts as a major absorption site, although some gastric oxalate absorption may also occur."

Killcium cancertate or butyrante for intestinal integrity. Killcium sulfate can also work, but the dose has to be moderate and I wouldn't insist in case there are indications that's feeding pathogens.