What would the mechanism be for why Cyproheptadine turns me into an ***hole?

Have confirmed this 2-3 times now, I become a bit of an ***hole to my partner when I take 1mg or more of Cyproheptadine, typically the following day.

I do not notice the change in demeanor at all, just something bugs me and I react, then later upon reflection I realise it was uncharacteristic.

Any ideas? Thanks.

JamesGatz

Maybe higher androgens ? I notice when my serotonin is low my androgens are always higher and I don't know if I call myself an *ssh*le but my tolerance is very short for BS - especially when someone high-serotonin comes near me im just like AGHHHH GET AWAY FROM ME

redsun

Have confirmed this 2-3 times now, I become a bit of an ***hole to my partner when I take 1mg or more of Cyproheptadine, typically the following day.

I do not notice the change in demeanor at all, just something bugs me and I react, then later upon reflection I realise it was uncharacteristic.

Any ideas? Thanks.
Less behavioral inhibition (more impulsive, aggressive) due to serotonin antagonism and histamine antagonism.

opethfeldt

Low blood sugar always did it to me on Cypro. My ex would become a demon on it too if she didn't eat often enough.

Nebula

Less behavioral inhibition (more impulsive, aggressive) due to serotonin antagonism and histamine antagonism.
Yeah I think it’s this. If dopamine isn’t high low serotonin makes you more depressive and irritated. It’s important to boost dopamine and lower prolactin any time you lower serotonin. Zinc and b6 along with cypro has given me a good mood in the past.

OP
E
Thank you for all the answers, plenty of lines of experimentation to play with to see if I can reduce the effect.

Makrosky

Haven't found an answer yet but happens to me sometimes also. I have to be very careful when taking it if I am going to go to the office or visit family. With friends tend to happen less. Could be what james said or the sugar thing because normally the days I have to go to the office I underfeed since I don't have time/space to refill as much as when I am at home.

Low blood sugar always did it to me on Cypro. My ex would become a demon on it too if she didn't eat often enough.
Problems with blood sugar or in general a bad handling into certain deficiencies are way too overlooked and I often find these to be the consistent problems when trying something anti-stress or pro-metabolic.

Beastmode

If it makes you sluggish, dealing with the world can be a bit more stressful, leading to acting out possibly.

Any strong chemical like this can bring out a lot of deficiencies, like @Riesensackteil mentions, and those are typically the things that are most overlooked in the process of healing.

Any substance that facilitates this type of behavior, or any other negative one(s), is probably not the right one to be taking. At least for now.

If it's for the anti-histamine effect, it's far easier to remove the foods/environmental stuff that's creating it as a start. Sometimes that "start" can take quite a bit of time to figure out. Well worth the process.

JamesGatz

Cypro crashes your androgens via its potent anti-histamine effects - it's difficult to combat even if you are eating high-histamine foods - I believe it's capable of turning a man gay if you aren't careful

Basically it makes you behave like a female albiet a low-serotonin female but still

InChristAlone

I am less submissive on it. I think it just removes that learned helplessness so good that you are way less patient with people who want to walk all over you.

JamesGatz

I am less submissive on it. I think it just removes that learned helplessness so good that you are way less patient with people who want to walk all over you.
Keep thinking that - weren't you the one to make a thread wondering why it made your children more hyper?

I'm giving you the answer right here but you want to justify taking it so bad

InChristAlone

Keep thinking that - weren't you the one to make a thread wondering why it made your children more hyper?

I'm giving you the answer right here but you want to justify taking it so bad
I mean it definitely causes exhaustion. But for me that's better than adrenaline. I've had way more sex dreams on it so if it's crashing androgens I don't know why I'd be thinking of sex.

Mauritio

Yeah I think it’s this. If dopamine isn’t high low serotonin makes you more depressive and irritated. It’s important to boost dopamine and lower prolactin any time you lower serotonin. Zinc and b6 along with cypro has given me a good mood in the past.
I also think its that.
Cyproheptadine is slightly anti-dopaminergic and strongly anti-serotonergic.

catharsis

I am surprised about the anti-androgen effect, I have only seen one study with a brief reference (Treatment of androgen excess in females: Yesterday, today and tomorrow) but the paper this one references I don't think has any mention of cyproheptadine within it (The Use of Human Skin Fibroblasts to Obtain Potency Estimates of Drug Binding to Androgen Receptors). The anti-serotonin effect is certainly pro-androgens.

I would love to know more about histamine's interaction with hormones, I only know it to be somewhat sympathetic in effect (sometimes digestive too).

P

pineywoodrooter

Antihistamines are notorious for lowering androgens. I get that lowering serotonin and adrenaline are generally beneficial, but I can't wrap my head around using a substance that targets dopamine and androgens as well.

InChristAlone

Cyproheptadine is not very good at targeting allergies in my opinion. At 0.5 mg I still have itchy skin, sneezing etc. So it must not be very good at being anti-allergy med at a low dose. So it's antagonizing of histamine is not very good for those with a lot of histamine. It is very good at antagonizing muscarinic receptors which means it will dry out your nose and cause some dry mouth. It also is very good at being anti-serotonin and anti-cholinergic. It does antagonize a dopamine receptor but it's easily reversed with some caffeine. For women who tend towards PCOS excess androgens are not good. For men who have low androgens maybe not a good drug. But I'd be wondering why a man has low androgens to begin with.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals