What Would Ray Peat's Interpretation Be Of This Article

dukez07

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... olism.html

I suppose Peat does say that sunlight, at the wrong time of day, increases the stress response (nitric oxide?). But then, these guys are saying it 'raises metabolism'. Perhaps their definition of 'rasing metabolism' is questionable? Or perhaps raising NO does increase metabolism, but is going to bad for you in the short term (like HGH), whereas thyroid is your friend in the long run?

I don't know. Hence I'm posting.

LucyL

I think this quote from FunctionAlps would probably reflect his perspective ...

“Nitric oxide, a third cultic substance along with serotonin and estrogen, is invoked as a normalizer of brain circulation and protector of nerve cells from peroxidation. Whether a substance is an antioxidant or pro-oxidant depends on its environment, and both nitric oxide and estrogen are pro-oxidants, promoters of lipid peroxidation and other forms of cell damage, under a variety of physiological situations.”

Nitric oxide is invoked a lot for treating diabetes, but there are also studies like this Aminoguanidine, a Novel Inhibitor of Nitric Oxide Formation, Prevents Diabetic Vascular Dysfunction that give pause. Ray Peat seems almost universally negative on NO in his writings. It may be useful in some scenarios (it does occur naturally), but is best avoided.

Edited to fix the links :):

LucyL said:
Functional Alps

I also spell it like that in my mind :mrgreen:

Even aspirin releases nitric oxide sometimes. In this case I guess it's just the UV rays stressing the skin.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals