What Would Be Effective To Block Prostaglandin Production By Thymus Gland?

TreasureVibe

Howdy everyone. Like the title states, what would be a good supplement or food that blocks prostaglandin production by the Thymus gland? I have a 18 years old relative who suffers from an anxiety - BPD related chest sensation, like a big spill on his chest. which is associated with a reaction in his mind that makes him feel very uncomfortable, agitated and anxious. The cause is his Thymus gland, which sits in the middle of the chest in between the lungs, making prostaglandins which cause inflammation in the nearby tissues of the chest. The Thymus does this in response to anxiety and a mind that cannot process emotions properly.

Giving him cheap coconut oil with trans fats actually makes his chest sensation go away, as the transfats in cheap coconut oil are known to block prostaglandin production.

Reference: Metabolism of trans fatty acids with emphasis on the effects of trans, trans-octadecadienoate on lipid composition, essential fatty acid, and prostag... - PubMed - NCBI

Full advice: Omega-3 Deficiency In Psychiatric Disease, Fish Oil Opinions?

He is not Peating currently, and we're more interested in a specific advice for his ailment only for now.

The cheap coconut oil gave him acne in the face, he claims, that is why we're looking for a substitute.

The person on this forum who adviced us the cheap coconut oil also adviced vitamin E and aspirin - caffeine pill. But we're wary of aspirin because I have read a thread on either here or Peatarian in which someone argued that Ray Peat's receded hairline along with thinnish hair was linked to the biological effects of aspirin. He's very conscious of his own appearance so this is something which we see as risky as he wouldn't like his hairline to recede.

The vitamin E is something we gave my relative, 400 IU but which made him very agitated and agressive in the following days so that is something we're also wary of. Take in mind that my relative is a physically healthy, muscular and tall young man, with a past of agressiveness, temperamental, hotheadedness, tendency to easily argue and argue heatedly, and problematic behavior, ever since he was a toddler. This made him stand out from other toddlers, and he also had a speech impediment as a toddler. (He couldn't pronounce the letter K, and instead said the letter T) later this speech impediment dissapeared. Both the behavioral problems and speech impediment stayed till the age of 9. The behavioral problems have persisted ever since.

I am uncertain if caffeine blocks prostaglandin production. Sugar and syrup also helped block Thymus degradation associated with the chest sensation which eases it a bit but on their own they're not effective enough throughout the day to block the chest sensation as a whole.

I hope somebody can help!

Thank you.

Last edited:

Dolomite

Forum Supporter
I always find bag breathing to be calming, especially when I have too much adrenaline. I don't know if it would address the problem you describe but it is easy to try.

OP
T

TreasureVibe

Did some quick Googling for natural prostaglandin inhibitors and came up with the following list.

White willow bark (contains salicin)
Meadowsweet (also contains salicin)
Curcumin
Mangosteen
Pomegranate juice and seed oil
Castor oil (mainly ricinoleic acid)
Chinese foxglove
Thuja orientalis
Hesperidin
Capsaicin
Aspirin (but wary because of potential negative effects on hair health)
Cat's claw (has potentially risky calcium channel blocker effects at the heart)
Boswellia
Pycnogenol
Green tea (he tried EGCG which works but not as desirable as expected)
Thunder god vine
Quercetin
Kaempferol
Resveratrol (I know this one is not good)
Resorcinol
Genistein
Beta-sitosterol and campesterol
Ginger
Chamomile
Licorice and peony
Rosmarinic acid
Rosehip
Nettle leaf (I remember reading on here this being bad, like it had 5 alpha reductase inhibiting properties or something)
Garlic
Bitter gourd
Lotus seed plumule
Chrysanthemum flower
Sulforaphane (direct PGE2 inhibitory action)
Celery seed
Ginkgo
Skullcap
Berberine
Thyme
Feverfew
Sage
Lavender
Clove
Marjoram
Ginseng

Thymus protective substance:
Leptin

Perhaps someone could comment on which one is the safest, Peaty, and possibly not interfering with sex hormones like estrogen and testosterone to avoid agressiveness?

Last edited:
OP
T

TreasureVibe

Having my eyes on white willow bark now... Together with meadowsweet for its apparent soothing effects on the stomach lining, preventing the potential bad effects on the stomach lining by white willow bark, as literature suggests.

Would white willow bark aka salicylic acid also have the irreversible COX enzyme blocking effects that aspirin normally possesses?

Also curcumin and hesperidin, sound like great additions to the mix, for now.

L

lollipop

Having my eyes on white willow bark now... Together with meadowsweet for its apparent soothing effects on the stomach lining, preventing the potential bad effects on the stomach lining by white willow bark, as literature suggests.

Would white willow bark aka salicylic acid also have the irreversible COX enzyme blocking effects that aspirin normally possesses?

Looking at your list above, I also like ginger and chamomile. You can find them combined as tea from traditional medincals.

BrianF

The person on this forum who adviced us the cheap coconut oil also adviced vitamin E and aspirin - caffeine pill. But we're wary of aspirin because I have read a thread on either here or Peatarian in which someone argued that Ray Peat's receded hairline along with thinnish hair was linked to the biological effects of aspirin. He's very conscious of his own appearance so this is something which we see as risky as he wouldn't like his hairline to recede.

With regards to 'Peating' and Ray Peat's hairline, its worth noting that Ray Peat hasn't been 'Peating' his entire life. He is also over 80 years old and the fact he has most of his hair and its not completely white, gives an indication that his diet and supplementation isn't damaging to hair.

I believe (and please check this) that certain anti-histamines such as Cyproheptadine and Loratadine (among others) will oppose Prostaglandins to a degree. That may give better and more immediate relief to this young man, who I'm beginning to feel for as at times in my life I have experienced some of the same symptoms as described by you.

Nick21

Did some quick Googling for natural prostaglandin inhibitors and came up with the following list.

White willow bark (contains salicin)
Meadowsweet (also contains salicin)
Curcumin
Mangosteen
Pomegranate juice and seed oil
Castor oil (mainly ricinoleic acid)
Chinese foxglove
Thuja orientalis
Hesperidin
Capsaicin
Aspirin (but wary because of potential negative effects on hair health)
Cat's claw (has potentially risky calcium channel blocker effects at the heart)
Boswellia
Pycnogenol
Green tea (he tried EGCG which works but not as desirable as expected)
Thunder god vine
Quercetin
Kaempferol
Resveratrol (I know this one is not good)
Resorcinol
Genistein
Beta-sitosterol and campesterol
Ginger
Chamomile
Licorice and peony
Rosmarinic acid
Rosehip
Nettle leaf (I remember reading on here this being bad, like it had 5 alpha reductase inhibiting properties or something)
Garlic
Bitter gourd
Lotus seed plumule
Chrysanthemum flower
Sulforaphane (direct PGE2 inhibitory action)
Celery seed
Ginkgo
Skullcap
Berberine
Thyme
Feverfew
Sage
Lavender
Clove
Marjoram
Ginseng

Thymus protective substance:
Leptin

Perhaps someone could comment on which one is the safest, Peaty, and possibly not interfering with sex hormones like estrogen and testosterone to avoid agressiveness?
Very interesting, it turns out PGE2 may play a role in one of my significant symptoms.

johnsmith

Howdy everyone. Like the title states, what would be a good supplement or food that blocks prostaglandin production by the Thymus gland? I have a 18 years old relative who suffers from an anxiety - BPD related chest sensation, like a big spill on his chest. which is associated with a reaction in his mind that makes him feel very uncomfortable, agitated and anxious. The cause is his Thymus gland, which sits in the middle of the chest in between the lungs, making prostaglandins which cause inflammation in the nearby tissues of the chest. The Thymus does this in response to anxiety and a mind that cannot process emotions properly.

I get a similar sensation in my chest sometimes when I'm confronted with a stressor. For example, I just received a text from someone I didn't want to hear from, and a strange stress/adrenalin like sensation immediately spilled out of my chest/heart area. What stress hormone is this? Is this prostaglandin production by Thymus gland as mentioned above?

OP
T

TreasureVibe

I get a similar sensation in my chest sometimes when I'm confronted with a stressor. For example, I just received a text from someone I didn't want to hear from, and a strange stress/adrenalin like sensation immediately spilled out of my chest/heart area. What stress hormone is this? Is this prostaglandin production by Thymus gland as mentioned above?
Yes that could very well be the case. You could test it out by buying cheap coconut oil and aspirin/aspirin-caffein pill and take a spoon of coconut oil everyday, along with aspirin or the aspirin-caffein pill, and also drink a glass of Coca-Cola and see if it helps.

Brother John

Aspirin is synthetic active ingredient of white willow bark.. Older patented medicine..

I know this is an old thread, but it intrigued me.

Why or what would be the mechanism behind this prostaglandin response in the thymus? I never knew this gland had a big role in emotions or emotional processing and communication between the mind and body and etc.

Why is this not talked about much here? I hear of anxiety sufferers who mention chest sensations and pain (pins/needles; sudden onset aches that come and go sometimes; or pain like a buzz or hit/strike to various chest areas). Given the location of the thymus and the symptoms, any doctor who might brush off, say, someone with anxiety complaining of chest sensations as "crazy" might be missing a big part of the issue.

The thymus being by the heart and general chest area too seems to also coincide with anxiety and stress being often associated with the heart.

But also there is lots of talk, however, of the thymus being catabolized or breaking down in many people as they age due to estrogen and etc. I wonder if there is a stronger link than many realize between stress, anxiety, the thymus and chest sensations/pains/etc. Due to inflammation since there is no other physically direct mechanism in which a stress response/anxiety episode or such would directly cause unusual sensations or such near or especially from the heart. Adrenaline/cortisol or rapid pulse, yeah, but the subject of this post is not of that similarity/nature with the thymus and localized sensations/etc.

Just saying that maybe some aspects of the whole psychosomatic deduced arguments could be shortsighted if actual pain can result from certain circumstances like this -- or other sensations/feels at the least that can be uncomfortable. But the again -- on the flip side -- psychosomatic reasoning could perfectly explain some corollaries between site specific pains as possible evidence of mind over matter, rendering confusion in understanding your own sensations that cannot be specifically detected outside of yourself.

Last edited: