What Will You All Do If Something Happens To The Food Supply?

lampofred

Just a hypothetical question. I'm not asking because I think it will probably happen (although after the past few weeks I'm realizing that nothing is ever truly out of the question), but what would you do if there are prolonged shortages of fruits, fruit juices, milk, supplements, Peat essentials in general? Peat's favorite milk for example has already been discontinued and something similar may happen with other staples.

For the past several days I've been trying to consume less juice, less liver/oysters, a moderate amount of milk as opposed to close to a gallon, more rice and vegetables and beans. I'm still avoiding refined vegetable oil, but basing my meals predominantly on starch opposed to sugar is definitely lowering my metabolic rate and cognitive ability.

More of certain brands of vitamin E, aspirin, and coffee seems to offset the slow down to some degree, but I wonder if it's possible to increase baseline metabolic rate without requiring specific foods or supps daily?

meatbag

If there's no fruit available can still get good nutrition from mushrooms, potatoes, boiled greens. There is vitamin c in meat and milk as well. Milk powder, white sugar, coffee powder, etc

No need to resort to the evil beanz :angelic:

Lejeboca

I am trying to stock up on powders (milk, coffee) and cans (coconut milk) plus coconut oil, which luckily does not spoil quickly.
But I must admit I got a bit panicky when I've heard on the news of possible breakfast items shortages (orange juice). I stopped listening to the news since then but still didn't figure out how to stock up on or substitute orange juice, once fresh oranges start to disappear too. Well, maybe I should get dry fruit in bulk and then steep them for a fruit juice substitute? I have seen some juice concentrates too but not orange-juice concentrate.

In any case, I am with @meatbag : no "evil beanz".

meatbag

don't forget orange marmalade as long term option
Orange-Marmalade-3.jpg

:yourwelcome

Lollipop2

I am trying to stock up on powders (milk, coffee) and cans (coconut milk) plus coconut oil, which luckily does not spoil quickly.
But I must admit I got a bit panicky when I've heard on the news of possible breakfast items shortages (orange juice). I stopped listening to the news since then but still didn't figure out how to stock up on or substitute orange juice, once fresh oranges start to disappear too. Well, maybe I should get dry fruit in bulk and then steep them for a fruit juice substitute? I have seen some juice concentrates too but not orange-juice concentrate.

In any case, I am with @meatbag : no "evil beanz".
Why not stock up on condensed milk? It is just concentrated milk and sugar. I plan on buying some myself.

Whichway?

The pork in the US is close to running out. Processing plants had to be closed due to workers being infected.

Runenight201

That is truly a crisis. A recession is not a crisis. An epidemic with a couple percentage (at best) fatality rate is not a crisis. A true crisis is famine. So long as there’s appropriate food on the plate, an individual can cope with whatever life throws at them. Take that away, and physical pain, suffering, and death ensues.

gaze

i've been trying to include starch more heavily in my diet for this reason. it's a bit of a societal disadvantage to be unable to digest starch. using Oj and milk as the only carb sources you can digest seems like a major problem should anything serious happen. metabolic flexibility is a good virtue to aim for. I think adding in variety from time to time just so you don't lose the starch digesting enzymes is probably beneficial. my main concern is inflation or if the monetary supply gets thrown off in a loop and/or i run short on funds. going to have to rely on oats, rice, potatoes and whole milk basically if i don't have a lot of money

Starship

I will try to eat bugs and worms when they are available. I don't look very masculine, so I'm going to make single men happy because nut has some nutrients in it. I will try to grow parsley in my backyard, I plan to buy some seeds. I'm very skinny because I do CR, so I can't fast for too long and I will do whatever needs to be done to survive.

tankasnowgod

I'm very skinny because I do CR, so I can't fast for too long and I will do whatever needs to be done to survive.

Seems like since you believe in CR, an outright famine would do wonders for life extension tho, yeah?

AllThingsPeat

To those talking about Iceagefarmer: have you begun growing your own food?

If what he says is true, then aren't we all screwed? Don't get me wrong, I'm all for self-sufficiency and opting out of the new system the technocrats are foisting upon us, but I'm also chronically ill, financially dependent, and according to IAF, pretty much out of time.

Medical tyranny is one thing, but it's not too difficult to circumvent assuming one is well-aware that the system is killing us (which most people around these parts seem to be). Food tyranny, on the other hand, is a different monster entirely.

CLASH

Options to consider for food:
1) Have a back up supply:
-frozen fruit/ veg
-dried fruit
-macadamia nuts (not roasted)
-banana chips
-fruit juice concentrate
-maple syrup (minerals accompany sugar)
-molasses (minerals accompany sugar)
-white rice
-salt
-canned fruit/ veg
-canned/ vacuum sealed juices
-frozen meat/ fish
-canned meat/ fish
-beef jerky
-pemmican
-condensed milk
-powdered milk
-UHT milk
-olive oil
-macadamia nut oil
-coconut oil
-beef tallow
-ghee
-chocolate in all forms (bars, powder, pieces)

2) Have alternate supply:
-establish relationship with local farmer
-Learn how to farm yourself, create a local community with other people and get a farm going together.
-grow a garden
-keep chickens
-keep goats
-learn how to fish/ live close to water
-learn how to hunt/ get out of city (unless you want to be a cannibal as previously mentioned, then stay in the city [keep in mind tho, modern humans in the west are most likely high in PUFA])

Nicole W.

To those talking about Iceagefarmer: have you begun growing your own food?

If what he says is true, then aren't we all screwed? Don't get me wrong, I'm all for self-sufficiency and opting out of the new system the technocrats are foisting upon us, but I'm also chronically ill, financially dependent, and according to IAF, pretty much out of time.

Medical tyranny is one thing, but it's not too difficult to circumvent assuming one is well-aware that the system is killing us (which most people around these parts seem to be). Food tyranny, on the other hand, is a different monster entirely.
I have not started growing my own food but I have stock piled some foods (shelf stable and frozen) and I also went ahead and bought some seeds.